Zeiss 12mm and 32 mm are available...Now the bad news.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Sigma 19 and yes it does outperform the Sony 16mm. I was looking for a UWA solution. I think the SEL1018 will be the answer, if the dome ever shows. Really like the Nex-7. However, the lens selection can still be a little frustrating for underwater use. I will give it the year and see what comes out. If here is not a usable dedicated macro ( like the zeiss50) I may be changing systems.

---------- Post added May 12th, 2013 at 08:23 AM ----------

The Rokinon 8mm has a minimal focus distance of approx. 300 mm. Am i correct that at that great a distance the 4.33 naughty dome will not work well for CFWA because the virtual image for the 4.33 will be less that the 300 mm min focus distance ? Trying to learn this stuff . Started taking photos years ago, now I am being sucked into the tech(dark) side.

Near as I can calculate the 4.33 dome will have a virtual image of approximately 165 mm ?

Minimum focus distance for e mount wide angel options
The Zeiss 24 1.8 = 160 mm
Sigma 19 mm= 200mm
Sony 16 mm = 240mm
Sony 20mm= 200mm
Sony 1018 = 250mm
And for laughs
Zeiss touit 12mm =180

I cannot find stats for min focus on the fisheye and wide angle conversion lenses.

If I am correct in my understanding ( and i may not be)the mini dome is best suited to the Zeiss 24? And shows that a 7 inch dome with a virtual image distance of approx 270 mm will be a better choice for all the other currently available options?

Or am I over thinking the whole thing? Between dive trips I am starting to become a bit obsessed golluuum golluuum my precious.

I have had a chance to do some extensive work with several of the NEX cameras, NEX-5, NEX-5n, NEX-5R and I owned the NEX-7 with a Nauticam housing. The reason I went back to the M43 cameras is in fact the great choice of quality lenses.

I don't care how good the image qaulity is with the camera body you are using if you don't have quality lenses you won't get quality images. Case in point is the new Nikon D-800 an outstanding 36MP camera well suited to all types of photography. I have seen many Nikon APS-C camera users make the switch to the D-800 only to find they needed to buy several new and very expensive Nikon lenses to get the full quality of the new 36MP sensor.

Sony has the same problem in its NEX systems, plenty of MP but very few quality lenses suited to U/W photography. The Ziess 24mm is at this time still the best of the bunch. The 10-18 zoom is good but not as good as the Panasonic 7-14 for M43 cameras. The 16, 19 and 20 are all of little use as U/W lenses because they don't focus close enough or have other image quality issues. None of these lenses are likely to work with the Nauticam 7 inch dome port because they will sit to far back in the port and will vignette. Because the ZEN 170mm optical glass port for Nauticam Mini housings like the NEX and M43 housings sits closer to the housing without an extension port added these lenses could be used. With the longer zoom lenses the 20mm extension works very well with the 10-18 and in fact that is the lens the port was designed around.

Regarding macro the story is the same, the Sony 30mm macro is to short a focal length to get very close and is useless with an add-on close-up lens. The Ziess 50mm macro should be a steller lens but will still be short by U/W macro standards and is reported to only go to twice life size 1:2 not to 1:1 or life size.

In the M43 range you have excellent image quality with the Olympus 60mm macro, 12-50mm zoom which has 1:2 macro, 12mm F/2 and more. Panasonic has the 8mm fisheye that will focus to less than four inches, the 7-14mm zoom, the 12-35mm F/2.8 zoom, the excellent 45mm macro and more. I can't think of a focal length not covered with M43 other than a very long macro. All of these lenses can be covered with three ports and an extension.

The announcement of the new BlackMagic Cinema pocket camera which is designed for M43 lenses makes the M43 system even more complete. With that $999.00 retail camera and Nauticam housing you will be able to use all of your M43 lenses and ports to shoot video with that system and stills with cameras like the OMD EM5.

BH Photo lists about 35 lenses for NEX system the problem remains that most of the quality lenses as just not suited to U/W photography and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Phil Rudin

Thanks for that detailed info Phil. Do you fell the zeiss 24 is adequate for WA shots underwater? Coming from the 16mm pancake + fisheye adaptor i know i'll be missing a lot but wondering if, with practice, its suitable for large pelagics and shipwrecks.

Anthony,

The real upside to the Ziess 24mm is its close focus to less than six inches. So for anything from a shark to a small (six inch or so) fish is covered. As a wide lens for wrecks full diver photos and such the 10-18 would be a far better choice. My remark about the lens being the best is in regard to image quality and use as a fish portrait lens.

Phil Rudin

Phil,
All that you say is very valid about lens selection on the NEX. I am going to give Sony and the independent lens producers a little more time. In the meantime I am leaning heavily on the Zeiss 24. I am however, looking very close at the Oly OMD EM5, beautiful lineup of lenses for the diver. I also like the idea of lens selction with DSLR's and even considered going the whole D 7100, D600 or D800 route. I can do the cost, but I cant see myself schlepping all that gear around . I know it doesnt make much differance, but I have an issue with dropping to the 2X crop factor. From the pics Ive seen the OLY produce I think the size differance may be all in my head.

Kevbo,

The EM5, D7100,D600 & 800 are all great cameras with excellent lens choices for U/W photography. They are also all at distinctly different price points for a complete system. Size and weight favor the EM5 while image quality increases moving towards the D800 with like quality lenses.

You would not go wrong with any of these system, it all depends on your image needs. I shoot for publication, not for large (40 plus inch) prints so the EM5 fills my needs very well. If I need large prints I have access to D800 and Hasselblad systems.

Phil Rudin

I was just at a local show and played with the zeiss 12, 24 and 32. I ordered the 32 as the clarity, contrast and response was incredible. The other 2 didnt have the same colors or contrast. I managed to focus about 6" with the 32. In anycase, i also bought the 24 to ensure my eyes werent playing with me. I will return whichever one i like less and will post results soon.

Anthony,

Are you testing the 32 above and/or below the surface? in other words, does the Z32 fit into a Nauticam port?

Let us know your test results. I have a friend who uses the 24mm with his Nex5 love sit and gets great inside wreck shots

Ive only tested the z24 topside. Yes, it has better IQ and colors/contrast compared to the 18-55 kit lens but once you edit each in LR4 I find them very, very close that really doesnt warrant the extra cost over the kit lens. Maybe I have an awesome kit lens sample which makes it that much closer to the z24. I havent received my z32 yet since it hasnt shipped yet, but i remember from the test one i tried at a show that the 32 was superior to the 24 in many counts. Dont want to say for sure though, but im pretty sure I will be returning the z24. Im going to try out the sony 20mm and sigma 19 next on my 4.33 nauticam dome port and see what happens. Not sure if the z32 will fit. In other news, i also tried the z12 topside and it was beyond excellent. Sharpness and IQ were stellar. Cant wait for a dome to fit it.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom