Zero to Hero Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi everyone!
I am new to scubaborad but so excited to talk with like minded people! I am wanting to do my zero to hero course in Koh Tao. And do the Padi IDC course aswell. The ultimate goal to be qualified and find work out there! Was just wondering what the best dive schools are on the island, the cost, and is accommodation included! I have no time limit on the course so the longer the better! Would be great if anyone can answer these questions!
Thanks
Amy
:)

2bxkqc.jpg

Credit to memegen

Best approach, learn to dive, dive, dive some more, take some more training, keep diving, then dive some more, then when you are good at diving and have all your skills in good shape, dive some more, and when you are getting to where you are really wanting to get your instructor rating, go dive a little more. Then start asking about the instructor course and what is the best approach to getting trained and starting a career in diving.

You lost me with "like minded people". I would suggest you learn to dive and do some diving, you might find your goals are different after being a diver. I've been diving continuously for over 54 years and found no reason to become an instructor.

Bob

Thanks for the replies! Sorry not the IDC course I'm getting all mixed up, just to do divemaster.

Thanks for the replies! Sorry not the IDC course I'm getting all mixed up, just to do divemaster.

Just try scuba and earn your basic certification first and then dive and after 50 - 100 dives perhaps you can talk about maybe thinking about starting to investigate if it will be a good thing to find out about going pro when you are ready and have the skill, experience, qualifications, attitude, $$$ and the desire to do it.

If you're aware of the term "zero to hero," then you're aware it's a disparaging term, employed to express disdain for a rapid-fire progression of courses that leaves no time in between for simply gaining experience, which is really what makes the most difference between a good diver and a poor one. That said, go to Koh Tao, get certified, but don't obligate yourself to any training beyond that, no matter how hard they pressure you to do so. In fact, don't even tell them up front you want to do the Divemaster course at some point. Dive daily just for fun and experience. See how you like the outfit and instructors, do some more diving with them and/or with other outfits there. Talk to other divers who are there doing pretty much the same thing as you, and see if they like their instructors. Then, choose an instructor for the next stage in your training (e.g., AOW or Rescue Diver), and again, don't sign up for more than that. I said choose an instructor rather than a dive outfit, because you should be able to have that ability if you spend time getting to know people. As you can read in countless SB threads, there are good instructors and there are poor instructors. You will never know one from the other by reading on-line recommendations. Then dive some more to build up more experience. By that time, you will have been there a few months and gotten a good feel for what's available and who you want to do your Divemaster training with. In a place like Koh Tao, everyone knows everyone. Don't rush it. Take it one step at a time. Use your instinct as to what/who feels like a good fit for your style of learning, and don't rely so much on on-line recommendations. Who knows--you very well could end up as an Instructor in a year or two if you take it slow and be diligent about who you train with and how.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom