12v Hookah Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread is if nothing else interesting. Fstbttms I really cant take anything you say seriously you obviously have your own biases. Your the type whos so ready to tell how your expensive setup is so much better than everyone elses, but really nobody as impressed about it as you are.
Hey sport, I never said a single word about the gear I use or what it cost. That's your own insecurities about the junk you bought showing through.

Anyway in summation, yes there is some risk but its becoming increasing clear thats these risks are being overblown by some people that have a bias against inexpensive hookah diving in general.
Nobody here has shown a bias against hookah diving. What they have is a concern for an untrained noob diving on compressed air. Your ignorance of (and refusal to understand) the potential dangers involved is what people here are railing against.

Yes... we don't have a problem with the Hookah.. it's that "no training" we are worried about. It seems that there really isn't a way to talk you out of it so I would like to suggest a few things.

1) Take a Discover SCUBA class.. should be relatively cheap $20-50 no more than $100. It would cover some of the theories and dangers of Diving.

2) Read this: Intro to Hooka!

3) I'm worried about the air to snorkel thing so try it on land first. Then try it waist deep water.

4) Get an air intake filter. ~ $12.

A better system would be but cost : Hookah direct drive scuba diving equipment sales. Hose diving hookah

Good luck to you and.. well hope you will be ok...

Still vote for getting SCUBA certified...

So I should spend twice as much on a hookah kit that uses over twice as much power when I have no plans on diving past 10 feet of depth? That makes alot of sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
aircompressor.jpg

---------- Post added May 10th, 2012 at 08:33 AM ----------

LMAO! There is no way this is for real! I don't think there is even a clamp on the hose, but with this setup I don't think it would matter for long. I could hurt myself using that above water! lol

So I should spend twice as much on a hookah kit that uses over twice as much power when I have no plans on diving past 10 feet of depth? That makes alot of sense.
And fstbttms just because youre a bottom in San Francisco doesnt make you the king of Siam.
I tell you guys what, if nothing else youve given me a good laugh.

:popcorn:

I don't see what the problem here is guys. I mean we've done more than enough to warn him to keep any accidents off of our conscience. I'm just sitting back and enjoying the show now. Can't wait to see how this turns out!

As for the 50 lb weightbelt that was a joke, everything in the post was over the top but apparently that went over everyones heads. Ill try to be more literal in the future.
It was close enough that I thought they possibly suggested that to keep you down in fast river currents. I know my buddy seriously overweights when he dives the river - but he's also wearing a 7Mil wetsuit with a jacket over it - Colorado River water is cold and at 15-20' he stays down long.

That compressor looks like a total piece of junk. And the outlet pressure of .12 Mega Pascels is only 17.4 psi. You'll have to suck pretty hard to get any air at more than 3 - 5 ft. I'll bet since it's way below the working IP of most regs.

I also notices that the 299 dollar ad states in the fine print that you have to buy your own hose and mask. This means that by the time you look around for a hose, mask, belt and weights, you're going to be in at around 800 bucks to a grand.

I'd go back to the scuba tank set-up. You can run any 1st stage, doesn't have to be new or flaashy and you can get those on E-Bay for less than 20 bucks. You'll then be able to run your reg at more appropriate IP, which will make for better breathing.

BTW, where are you? My first dives were with my grandfather in the North Fork of the Merced River. My job at that age was to keep the bigger rocks from blocking the dredge hose. And how a big a dredge are you using? Maybe find someone with a dredge in one of the mining magazines and just tell them you're willing to share the profit if you can use the dredge. There are a lot of old timers who would appreciate the help on their placer claim.

Good Luck

Well I got them for quite a bit less than 800. But even if it did end up costing 800 thats better than paying double for something I dont need. I looked into using just tanks and I wasnt seeing that much saving and my time underwater would be limited, plus the tank would be bulky.Im not using a dredge this is just recreational. And dredges are against the law.

This thread is if nothing else interesting. Fstbttms I really cant take anything you say seriously you obviously have your own bias. Your the type whos so ready to tell how your expensive setup is so much better than everyone elses, but really nobody is as impressed about it as you are. It doesnt matter to if its attached to a snorkel or a regulator as long as it works and I actually bought the compressor and a regulator separately so my setup will be different from that one. And if you look at the feedback of that "jury rigged pos" seller I see no complaints. And considering he accepts no returns thats impressive.
Thank you Steve for posting an actual source for hookah diving, which is more in line with mine and a ex navy SEAL's assessment of the risk. As for the 50 lb weightbelt that was a joke, everything in the post was over the top but apparently that went over everyones heads. Ill try to be more literal in the future.
Dreamwrx thank you for giving the correct air pressure, its nice to read some facts for a change. Anyway in summation, yes there is some risk but its becoming increasing clear thats these risks are being overblown by some people that have a bias against inexpensive hookah diving in general.

The sad part with this thread is that even if no harm occurs to the OP from this, the OP will be out good money that can be used to accomplish his aims better. If the pictures of the gear are what some propose he has purchased, I think that the outcome will be a harsh lesson in buyer beware. SitkaDiver is right, most regs that I am aware of use a much, much higher IP.

The only two pieces of advice that I can offer is:

1) Ask your ex Navy SEAL friend to try it out first. He undoubtedly has both the skills and training to deal with any problems that will occur with your plan. I suspect he will either bring suitable gear for you or have somewhere else to be that day.

2) Don't assume that because many experienced divers have expressed concern and serious reservations about your idea that they are somehow against you. Nobody here said that they could sell you something better or to take costly lessons from them. In short, they have nothing to gain by making recommendations to you that you may not like but are honestly for your safety and wellbeing. Consider what others have said and do some research yourself. There are many, many texts on SCUBA diving available at your local library for FREE. For our benefit, tell us which one shows you that your plan is sound. You may find that you don't like the messengers but that doesn't change the message.

Back
Top Bottom