air integrated worth 2x the price

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the computers are pretty reliable now of days. For recreational, I would say the failure rate is very acceptable. Now tech diving may be different.

Yea, you may be right there. I guess I just got scared off after stories of them struggling when a few people had them and were diving near each other, failure stories when people were diving near wrecks, and stories of them failing when the batteries were getting a bit low.

I guess I just prefer to see the computer as a backup, rather than a primary tool. Could you imagine being on a weeklong dive vacation and your computer crapping out on day 2 and being stuck!?

PerroneFord:
Yea, you may be right there. I guess I just got scared off after stories of them struggling when a few people had them and were diving near each other, failure stories when people were diving near wrecks, and stories of them failing when the batteries were getting a bit low.

I tested that out this weekend. Granted, it was not a serious wreck, but instead "junk" sunk at a scuba park. My VT Pro had no issue being inside of a bus that was sunk. Everyonce and a while it would get a signal failure, but as soon as I moved it, it would reconnect and update everything. I think it is a wonderful tool.

PerroneFord:
I guess I just prefer to see the computer as a backup, rather than a primary tool. Could you imagine being on a weeklong dive vacation and your computer crapping out on day 2 and being stuck!?

that is why I have a Dive watch that does depth on it ( Citizen Aqualand 20th anniversary from Surface Interval Scuba ) and I will be getting a mini spg. My plan is to dive with the VT Pro as primary, the Citizen as secondary. If something goes wrong during a liveaboard vacation, I send up SMB, do controlled ascent. On the mothership, I will replace the transmitter with a mini SPG and go to tables.

The trip is not ruined, but I will have to do more work and planning. I will be taking a multi-level/computer specialty training before going to the Maldives for this very reason.

BTW. I have no problem with people diving without air integrated or even without computers for that matter. It all comes down to ease of diving vs cost. I have been blessed, so I care more about ease of diving. Also, I am a gadget junkie, so take take this with a grain of salt.

Is there anything wrong with non-AI computers? No. Do people who dive with non-AI computers need to have more experience or plan more for the dive, yes.

I would have no problem personally diving with a non-AI computer for all the great reason that have been stated on this thread. However, I still think that if you have the money, AI is a great tool to have. Just factor in what you will be giving up. AI really should be last on the list. Exposure protection first, BC next, then regs, then computer, then AI.

Do people who dive with non-AI computers need to have more experience or plan more for the dive, yes.

Even if you have an air integrated computer you should plan your dive. I don't see how a change from an analogue SPG to a computer display would make that much of a difference in the plan.

im not exactly wealthy by any means. i just want to buy the right thing the first time. reading this, it sounds like the AI is good for a beginner and i fit that descrption to a T. :D

Vayu:
Even if you have an air integrated computer you should plan your dive. I don't see how a change from an analogue SPG to a computer display would make that much of a difference in the plan.

It is the same idea as you would apply to nitrogen loading. If you plan your dive and stick with it, you really don't even need a computer at all, just a dive table, SPG, depth gauge, and timing device. I completely agree that air integrated is not required and is more a nice to have item. But so is a computer.

gurumasta:
im not exactly wealthy by any means. I just want to buy the right thing the first time. reading this, it sounds like the AI is good for a beginner and I fit that descrption to a T. :D

I don't think that is what anyone is implying. Most will probably agree that the best tools for a new diver are a depth gauge, a watch, and the dive tables. That is what I would use if money were an issue as it was when I started diving.

My suggestion is to buy something affordable like an Aeris Atmos 2 (if you must buy a computer) and a small depth gauge. You could go with a wrist or boot mount. You could use this computer for the rest of your recreational diving life and never feel like you were missing something. This is also your most affordable option and the one that most divers will choose at any recreational diving level.

Also keep in mind that some of the divers here not only are talking about AI computers but also wireless AI computers and that is even more money and an even bigger waist in my humble opinion.

IMHO, AI and wireless aren't even worth considering if money is an issue. You could possibly by a nice reg set or a nice BC or even both with the money you might save not going AI or wireless. If you use the tables you could buy even more and the other gear is far more important than the computer. Of course, you may already own the other stuff. Just something to consider. Hey, like I always say, you will have fun diving with whatever you do choose to buy!:D That's the good news!

You will likely want to save some money for that dry suit you WILL eventually want if you get addicted like the rest of us sick scuba fools! Especially diving in Ma! That's what the tax return is for, lol.

scubadobadoo:
I don't think that is what anyone is implying. Most will probably agree that the best tools for a new diver are a depth gauge, a watch, and the dive tables. That is what I would use if money were an issue as it was when I started diving.

My suggestion is to buy something affordable like an Aeris Atmos 2 (if you must buy a computer) and a small depth gauge. You could go with a wrist or boot mount. You could use this computer for the rest of your recreational diving life and never feel like you were missing something. This is also your most affordable option and the one that most divers will choose at any recreational diving level.

Also keep in mind that some of the divers here not only are talking about AI computers but also wireless AI computers and that is even more money and an even bigger waist in my humble opinion.

IMHO, AI and wireless aren't even worth considering if money is an issue. You could possibly by a nice reg set or a nice BC or even both with the money you might save not going AI or wireless. If you use the tables you could buy even more and the other gear is far more important than the computer. Of course, you may already own the other stuff. Just something to consider. Hey, like I always say, you will have fun diving with whatever you do choose to buy!:D That's the good news!

You will likely want to save some money for that dry suit you WILL eventually want if you get addicted like the rest of us sick scuba fools! Especially diving in Ma! That's what the tax return is for, lol.

i was thinking if i go AI to go with suunto cobra, and if not AI then the vyper. either way i would get the console one, i just dont trust a wireless signal, and i would constantly forget the wrist computer at home. neither of those on the prices i found are much more exspensive than the Aeris Atmos 2. Thanks for your help!!!!

Congratulations! I think both of these are fine choices. I really enjoyed my first dives with my Vyper today. It's going to take some getting used to what the display is telling me, but overall it was easy to read the important stuff. Depth, dive time, (no deco time but I'm not really worried about that).

I'll probably leave it in Guage mode for my personal use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom