Air integrated wrist computer or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Suunto Vyper air has been reliable so far in that once its paired up it stays paired for the entire dive.

It does however change transmitter codes if the transmitter is activated for long periods and doesnt pair with the wrist unit. The typical scenario where this can occur is after a days diving washing my gear. I rig the regs to my cylinder and soak them, this activates the transmitter, but the wrist unit is packed away. If left soaking for a few hours it usually changes codes:(

If this occurs it will not pair for the next dive unless I reset the code. Its easy to do so it doesnt bother me that much but would prefer if it didnt do this.

I do have an SPG also.

I was an early adopter of AI computers and have dived them continuously for ~15 years and 5 models. They have become progressively more reliable. Enough so that I leave the analog SPG at home for weekend trips these days (if it fails, I can always sip drinks by the pool). They are, however, more expensive, and I wouldn't consider them an "upgrade" from non-AI computers. Not in the sense that more advanced diving demands one--quite the contrary, actually. AI is a feature that I like; kind of like...I don't know, cup holders in your car. If the expense is a non-issue, go for it, but it would be pretty close to the last thing on my gear list. I like my Suunto D9, but if I were in the market right now I'd wait for the release of the wrist-mount Atomic Cobalt.

if you never plan to get into deco diving the uwatec Luna is the same as the sol minus a few features, like heart monitor, free PMG software but if you just want ndl diving the luna will save you a little cash and you can buy the other options if you need them, the software is upgradeable. the wrist unit is the same as the sol only in black. i have had the luna for 5 months about 20 dives but like it so far.

These are all great comments, i appreciate it! So now Im wondering if I should just purchase a depth and pressure gauge combo (since I need that to use my new reg setup) and just save up and instead of getting a mediocre AI computer, I can get the galileo or the cobalt if that ever comes out in an AI wrist setup. Ultimately I would LOVE to have the AI wrist setup bc I have the zeagle octo-z, so having an AI wrist setup will leave me completley hoseless except of course for my second stage zeagle. Does this make sense? I can probably pickup a depth and pressure gauge console for pretty cheap im guessing

Ultimately I would LOVE to have the AI wrist setup bc I have the zeagle octo-z, so having an AI wrist setup will leave me completley hoseless except of course for my second stage zeagle. Does this make sense? I can probably pickup a depth and pressure gauge console for pretty cheap im guessing
A lot of us have been tempted by Air2's and AI for precisely that reason, because it is tempting, in concept, to lose the hoses. Often, though, rerouting or resizing them will streamline you without adding a lot of expensive technology of questionable utility. I am not a devotee of the 7-foot hose, but that is one option to consider, among others. Just shortening a standard-length regulator hose by several inches will make a difference. Or routing the octopus under the arm instead of outside the shoulder.

As far as the depth gauge and pressure gauge console, I'd opt for a cheap (~$300) hockey puck wrist computer and separate pressure gauge.

I have the Aeris Elite T3 and am very happy with it. I do lose sync once and a while, but it comes back in a few seconds. I kept my hose with a compact Pressure/Depth/Compass guage. I make sure to double check my analogue pressure guage once and a while throughout each dive. AI was something I wanted for convenience, and I have no regrets getting the T3.

Right out of the box my download cable was faulty. Aeris diagnosed the problem and returned my T3 with a new cable, battery, and protective glass shield.

Not me.

Even though I have a Suunto Vytec, I don't use the transmitter. My other two computers are Oceanic Veo 250 and Suunto Vyper. These transmitters are just another electrical device that may (and do regularly) fail. I've got a guy coming by tomorrow to buy an extra console with analog gauges that he will now take along as a backup on his dives. He was recently diving some fancy exotic place and his transmitter failed. Messed up his dives.

I have my analog gauges on a console - it even has a compass on it. However, the compass I use is a Suunto hanging from my BCD.

About air. I check my air regularly, and I don't get complacent about it. I plan my dives and dive my plan - and know my air consumption. So when I look at my gauge I am not surprised to see where my air is because I already know what it is going to say - but I check it. I also dive with a pony that I have never had to use (except once I was being stupid and stupidly planned to use it - never again - it's a long story).

I would go with a good computer without a transmitter like some of the very experienced divers above suggested. Spend a lot less, get to know your air consumption, plan your dives, and see what others around you are using. Then, if you really really really want one with a transmitter - get it - and you'll have your original one for a backup.

There is a lot of very expensive used equipment out there from those who have gone hog wild about diving, for a while, and then it sits, or they have bought something that they regretted, and it's better to think through things, instead of being pulled in by the hype.

Enjoy diving - It's wonderful!!! And in the old days where there wasn't a dive shop on some Middle Eastern beach - I always had a snorkel, mask, and fins.

I love this forum, because people give such great advice and different view points! I totally understand what your saying drdaddy about the 'electrical' component of an AI and when your underwater, the last thing I would want to do is rely soley on electronics. I found a small compact console made by TUSA on LP for $100. Its slimline and has pressure and depth. I think Im going to utilize that for now until I see what others are using and maybe test some for myself, but I think its prudent to always use that and keep it installed as a safe backup. I am also purchasing a compass now, I think a wrist boot is best and easier to use, would that be a fair assumption? I didnt really like using the one installed on the console. it looks like the other option is attached to the bcd via a retractor. Does anyone have any preferences and why you like a wrist or retracor compass? I was looking at the SK7 or the Oceanic SWIV. any opinions?

I like air integrated computers. I like wireless air integrated computers even better.

Why? People ask.

Why the heck not?

Out of 200-dives, I lost signal once and it was at only one spot (The Blue Hole in Santa Rosa, New Mexico). Even then I stuck the computer up near the transmitter. Voila! End of story.

If you have the cash and like technology/gadgets, get one. They do have some pros IMO, they are:

- Gives you really good insight into your RMV/SAC rates, how you breathe at depth & stress/high workload situations
- Quick and easy place to find all your diving information, however I still check my SPG
- Backup to my SPG. I don't dive without a SPG!!!!!

I have had no issues with syncing/pairing AI to DC. I own a Helo2 and D9.

If you don’t like technology/gadgets or dive in a very minimalist way, don’t go this route.

Back
Top Bottom