Air integrated wrist computer or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love this forum, because people give such great advice and different view points! I totally understand what your saying drdaddy about the 'electrical' component of an AI and when your underwater, the last thing I would want to do is rely soley on electronics. I found a small compact console made by TUSA on LP for $100. Its slimline and has pressure and depth. I think Im going to utilize that for now until I see what others are using and maybe test some for myself, but I think its prudent to always use that and keep it installed as a safe backup. I am also purchasing a compass now, I think a wrist boot is best and easier to use, would that be a fair assumption? I didnt really like using the one installed on the console. it looks like the other option is attached to the bcd via a retractor. Does anyone have any preferences and why you like a wrist or retracor compass? I was looking at the SK7 or the Oceanic SWIV. any opinions?

When I got my Sherwood Oasis+ with the console, it was common to hold the console in your hands with the lines on compass lined-up and navigate this way. We were also throwing away the modified horse collars with a tiny compressed air cylinder to rocket you to the top in case the Cold-War Russians had drawn their knives on you - but of course you had a bigger knife. So when the idea of moving to a wrist mount compass, it made sense. And now we hang stuff from our BCD and look like a Christmas tree - so there I am. :) I've got a compass on my console, on my wrist, and on my BCD - and then I just kinda sit back and what really works. Well, one thing for sure. I've got enough compasses. I find myself reaching for the Suunto SK-7 hanging from my BCD.

So, if I were to advise you, I would still advise redundancy and get the 3 gauge analog console with 1/depth (little thermo too), 2/tank air pressure, 3/compass. Then get the best compass and hang that Suunto Sk-7 from a retractor on your BCD. Skip the wrist compass.

But then get a great wrist computer, nitrox capable - but not air integrated (I've already made that point).

Oh my goodness, I almost forgot - beware of "psuedo tec" and all the thousands you can throw away. :popcorn: Get a simple BCD (travel ones are the fad now) and dive. Or go for the "cool look", as I saw he professional model all decked out with "pseudo tec" SCUBAPRO TECH LINE and did not know whether to laugh or cry. Go for enjoying scuba and don't get pulled into image. What kind of diver you'll become will evolve.*

Quit trying to read the future. Of course, if you have a weak sense of self, you may want to build a persona, but then you lose the spontaneity and fun. I admit, I still have a gigantic knife stuffed away in that built in pocket on my farmer john vest. Sharks and Russians beware!

* I, personally, graduated from University in Earth Science, research, pro-photo training (research/scientific photography coming up?), and who would ever believe my Ph.D. would be in clinical psychology - which I love. Today, I shoot with plastic recycable 50' underwater yellow kodaks.

And, by the way, some of the most reliable regs were made in the 80/90s - and the design is still the backbone of the industry. But if "they" dive industry reviews with charts on the "best breathing" convince you that you need a ferrari or fiat reg - well they'll always be in the shop being tuned. Personally, I'd recommend the toyota camry reg, unless I really needed that specialized reg to go down to 40,000 leagues.

So, if this response sounds like I have too much time on my hands ... I do. I just had left knee arthroscopic surgery on my left knee and my buddy is going diving tomorrow without me (we dive year round - every week or at least every other week). But I'll be back out there in about a month! My surgeon smiled at me (as I poked at him post-opt with my crutches) and said "no diving this weekend" - and then he said to my 59 year old body - "really, no under water, even a bathtub for 2 weeks", he looked a little worried. :)

So I'll get out the popcorn and :popcorn: catchup on stirring up some trouble. I'll probably get my niece to go out to the truck and get my speargun and we'll set up a target next to my crutches! Please ask me more opinions. :D

Reactions: Jax
I've got a compass on my console, on my wrist, and on my BCD - and then I just kinda sit back and what really works. Well, one thing for sure. I've got enough compasses. I find myself reaching for the Suunto SK-7 hanging from my BCD.

So, if I were to advise you, I would still advise redundancy and get the 3 gauge analog console with 1/depth (little thermo too), 2/tank air pressure, 3/compass. Then get the best compass and hang that Suunto Sk-7 from a retractor on your BCD. Skip the wrist compass.
I disagree with the concept of compass redundancy. Are compasses prone to mid-dive failure? Are there dire consequences if they do fail? It sounds to me, drdaddy, like you bought too many compasses and are reluctant to relegate any of them to ebay or the trash.

The SK-7 is, by most accounts, among the best compasses out there. If you decide to use a retractor (I would go wrist), find one that doesn't dangle the compass six inches even when fully retracted.

I disagree with the concept of compass redundancy. Are compasses prone to mid-dive failure? Are there dire consequences if they do fail? It sounds to me, drdaddy, like you bought too many compasses and are reluctant to relegate any of them to ebay or the trash.

The SK-7 is, by most accounts, among the best compasses out there. If you decide to use a retractor (I would go wrist), find one that doesn't dangle the compass six inches even when fully retracted.

Vladimir -

You are right - too many compasses. I was actually making fun of myself. I never look at the one on my console - just leave it there because it's been there for 20+ years and it's still not leaking!!! I do glance quickly from time to time at my wrist compass as we dive regularly in 3ft/1 meter vis when doing Jetty dives. Good vis is 5-6ft/2 meters. When I do serious navigating, I pull my SK-7 retractor out and use it. Regardless of how many compasses one has - don't forget to get a reading before you go down and dive your plan.

I've also got too many knives. I love that giant "Sea Hunt" knive in it's special pocket glued on to my wetsuit. But it's not as practical as the pocket shears or even the little hose mounted knife.

I have noticed your posts in the past and want to thank you for the good instruction you bring to SB.

Tell you the truth - I was really trying to warn the OP on going hog wild with buying too much in the beginning, and not to buy into the marketing ploys like that embarrassingly transparent ScubaPro Tech advertisement.

Oh, and I do have a CraigsList guy coming by tomorrow and buying an extra console that I have. By the way, how many reg sets have you collected? :wink:

By the way, how many reg sets have you collected? :wink:
I remember my dad, as he was sorting through decades of "stuff" he'd accumulated, in preparation for moving the family, saying, "Either move every year, or never move." I'm the guy who moves every few years, so I haven't accumulated too much extraneous gear. On the contrary, I have discarded some gear pre-ebay that would have been worth the effort of an auction even today. A couple of Dacor Pacers (one with a seven-foot hose that could eat a luggage allowance all by itself :wink:), a couple of (US Divers?) Tekna regulators, a Spare Air, a Spare Air knock-off by US Divers that had a hose and a Tekna second stage, and a regulator for my 6-cubic-foot pony. Those would no doubt be sitting in my garage if I had one. Along with a pair of Force Fins, a pair of ScubaPro jets, a bunch of wetsuits, a handful of BCs (including a horse-collar, a Central SkinDivers knock-off of a Seatec vest, and a Seaquest Black Diamond that had at least a dozen D-rings and an inflator hose a foot too long), a foot-long knife by Wenoka that weighed at least a kilo, and a half-dozen computers, starting with a Dacor MicroBrain. Oh, yes, and a compass on a retractor.:D

I don't have a garage, but I do have a storage bin in Pennsylvania. That's where I keep my Apex back-up regulator--so I own only two regulator sets and only have one set here in Hong Kong.

To the extent that I have any wisdom to offer in these equipment discussions, it comes from having made just about every possible purchase along the way. I have supported a few local dive shops.

Last edited:
AI wireless works well, I dive a Suunto Vyper Air for close to two years now and hundreds of dives in cold water.

If you have the cash and like technology/gadgets, get one. They do have some pros IMO, they are:

- Gives you really good insight into your RMV/SAC rates, how you breathe at depth & stress/high workload situations
- Quick and easy place to find all your diving information, however I still check my SPG
- Backup to my SPG. I don't dive without a SPG!!!!!

I have had no issues with syncing/pairing AI to DC. I own a Helo2 and D9.

If you don’t like technology/gadgets or dive in a very minimalist way, don’t go this route.

I have not done a lot of diving but from personal experiences in other areas of my live I can't for the life of me understand why any one would consider "trusting" any electronic device with their live. I currently dive a Vyper2 and will be getting a D9 next, but will still have my SPG on my rig. my wife however has an AI computer and loves it. to each is their own.

I have not done a lot of diving but from personal experiences in other areas of my live I can't for the life of me understand why any one would consider "trusting" any electronic device with their live. I currently dive a Vyper2 and will be getting a D9 next, but will still have my SPG on my rig. my wife however has an AI computer and loves it. to each is their own.
You don't die if your computer fails. You don't die if your SPG fails, either. You are not trusting your life to either device.

I like to look at the type of dive. I also like the AI hoseless wrist computer. I dont have that much experience but there are now 3 of us in the family with the same Atom 2 and we havent lost a signal yet. Figure 100 dives between the 3 of us.

My argument is simple. If I am in open water with nothing stopping me from surfacing, what is the worst that can happen if I loose the signal ....

We surface.

Does an extra SPG help me surface? If I am that unaware of my air that when I loose signal, I have to guess "I wonder if I can make the surface", I am already dead anyhow. Having an SPG will simply make me regret my stupidity as I die.

The extra SPG will probably save the next dive. But then I pack an extra computer too.

Now if I was headed to a wreck, where I couldnt directly surface (not that I ever have yet), having a redundant attached spg might make a lot of sense. Then again, a pony bottle might make sense here too.

So look at the type of diving, My family likes to simply drift over the reefs. The other advantage is that because of the AI, I can check my wife and daughters pressure with the press of a button on my wrist (and they can check mine)

Oh my goodness, I almost forgot - beware of "psuedo tec" and all the thousands you can throw away. :popcorn: Get a simple BCD (travel ones are the fad now) and dive. Or go for the "cool look", as I saw he professional model all decked out with "pseudo tec" SCUBAPRO TECH LINE and did not know whether to laugh or cry. Go for enjoying scuba and don't get pulled into image. What kind of diver you'll become will evolve.*

"Pseudo tec" Thats's a great phrase. I like it !

Huh?

Analog devices don't fail?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom