Another Bonaire question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What the heck is "UNCFNP"?

My guess is University of North Carolina Family Nurse Practitioner. Isn't it obvious? :wink:

uncfnp.jpg

Who charges for weights in Cayman?! I have done 6 trips to the Caymans (GC, LC, and CB using land-based dive operators and liveaboards) and no one has ever charged us for weights. However I agree that diving in Bonaire is much cheaper than Cayman. But I have met one grouchy Bonaire resident; the owner of a dive operation we've used can be quite grouchy - but I won't mention names!

LOL, he is infamous!

I assume we are talking about the guy who locks his dock off at night.

I was on GC a few weeks ago. Sundivers did not charge for weights. Sunset Divers did charge a buck or two. Not unreasonable as weights need to be brought on to the island, often disappear and lead costs money. I have never been charged for weights on a boat in the Cayman Islands. Shore diving costs on GC vs Bonaire not much different in price. Boat diving is quite a bit more on the Cayman Islands but then again, better diving, IMO.

So I propose that hence forth freestyle shore diving on Bonaire shall be known as the UNCFNP. :D

I second the motion!

---------- Post added January 6th, 2015 at 10:48 PM ----------

If interested, here's a rough 720p go pro montage of last year's trip. Totally amateur footage, but an idea of what we saw! There were a couple boats involved, but most of the dives were from shore!

[video=youtube;CpsLPK9vVUg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpsLPK9vVUg[/video]

BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for sharing! The more I see, the more I think I might like Bonaire just as much as Coz.

Have you since added a red light filter to your GoPro? I can't believe the difference in color and video quality when I use mine!

Have you since added a red light filter to your GoPro? I can't believe the difference in color and video quality when I use mine!
Just got a Gopro myself and can't decide between filters. What did you go with?

Following the lead of a very bright GUY on here, I bought the Backscatter Flip 3.1. It comes with 3 filters shallow, "dive", and deep. You can have 2 on the camera at once. I kept the shallow and dive filters on because I mostly don't dive deep anymore.

I was happy, but it is easy to please someone who doesn't know anything about what they are doing.

I'll post a clip when I get where I can.

I used to use a basic red light filter that you can slip into the housing, but I just switched to the FLIP3.1 THey have one specific to tropical scuba diving (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NLNZ0DU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2QT0E1H8VWFOA).

The reason being, once you put something in your underwater housing, it's there from beginning of the dive to the end! If you have a red light filter on and want shots of your backroll or on the boat, at the surface, etc. it will be a pinkish/orange color (for example, look at my avatar--that's from the GoPro with a red light filter on at the surface). The FLIP allows you to place the filter over the lens once you're at depth.

I'm no expert on underwater photography, but if you check out some of my youtube videos, you can see how using the filter allows you to actually see COLOR under water, rather than blue/green everything :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugutYn0ZM34

Thanks guys! I was going back and forth between the Backscatter and the SRP. You''ve made the decision for me! Gbf, would still like to see that clip when you can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom