Another Bonaire question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shore diving costs on GC vs Bonaire not much different in price.

Seriously?????????? You are dreaming. I was charged at least $16 / tank (US) and another $7.50 for weights. Even renting a single tank on Bonaire is only $10 and they supply the weights.

Scoobajay, sorry about the thread hijack, but...

here's the clips

the first one is the barge out from the water plant. Bow in 110' stern about 140. Yr intrepid videographer forgot the deep filter, so shot this with the middle filter. You can reEally see the blue.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6uNx39RNsMI

i could've get my iPad to embed, so the links will get you there.

The next link is the top of the outter reef at angel city. About 50-60' with the middle filter.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CG1jYrwqaJw

This one was shallow shot with middle filter I think. Watch the jawfish cleaning the sand out of his hole, and there is a spot where I change filters from middle to shallow.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wHPb5GqvlkI

these will do 720p, whatever that means.

Last edited:
Thanks gbf. That's some impressive slow respirations you got there!

Really appreciated that last clip where it went from mid to unfiltered to shallow filters. I think I'm sold.

Thanks for the attaboy Brad. Lisa, you will love it.

Here's my Hero 3+ with Backscatter Flip 3.1 filter system and Beneath The Surface 6" MultiGrip handle. A few of you will recognize the background. :D

flip.jpg

... and here's a link to a bunch of Bonaire dive videos I made with it using the free GoPro software. Proof that even a photographobe can make video most folks can bear to watch. One of the videos demonstrates the color differences between the filters, including not using a filter at all.

I still need to compile my best footage from our 3 week trip that ended Saturday into one or 2 more short videos. When I do I'll update my previous "trip report" thread in this forum.

I assume we are talking about the guy who locks his dock off at night.

I was on GC a few weeks ago. Sundivers did not charge for weights. Sunset Divers did charge a buck or two. Not unreasonable as weights need to be brought on to the island, often disappear and lead costs money. I have never been charged for weights on a boat in the Cayman Islands. Shore diving costs on GC vs Bonaire not much different in price. Boat diving is quite a bit more on the Cayman Islands but then again, better diving, IMO.

Keep in mind that the US dollar is only worth around $0.75 in Cayman so everything is more expensive. We have made several trips to both Bonaire and the Caymans and we love them both, but they are very different and everybody has their own preferences. But isn't it great that there are so many distinctive and beautiful places on Earth to visit and dive?!

Thanks for the attaboy Brad. Lisa, you will love it.

Here's my Hero 3+ with Backscatter Flip 3.1 filter system and Beneath The Surface 6" MultiGrip handle. A few of you will recognize the background. :D

View attachment 200893

... and here's a link to a bunch of Bonaire dive videos I made with it using the free GoPro software. Proof that even a photographobe can make video most folks can bear to watch. One of the videos demonstrates the color differences between the filters, including not using a filter at all.

I still need to compile my best footage from our 3 week trip that ended Saturday into one or 2 more short videos. When I do I'll update my previous "trip report" thread in this forum.

Well , just hurry up and get that video out there for those of us that still have 160+ days to go.

i have to say, I think the 2 with ZBB Tracks are among your best work.

Last edited:
BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for sharing! The more I see, the more I think I might like Bonaire just as much as Coz.

Have you since added a red light filter to your GoPro? I can't believe the difference in color and video quality when I use mine!

Actually, some of that footage WAS using a red filter. I didn't dig it as much as I like adjusting white balance in iMovie. It's not perfect by any means, but I was hating the red tinge that it gave the shallows, and then not nearly as impressed with the 'improved' colors at depth. I like the idea of the three types for three depths, but I guess I just prefer blue and then color added once the light hits it. Again, just making home videos for my own amusement. I had been tweaking my underwater GoPro rig since the first version and then I realized I was missing out on the simplicity of diving while I was obsessing with trying to shoot the perfect footage. Now I just cary it along (sometimes) in case I see something cool.

I know the one time I see a mermaid riding a whale shark, the GoPro will be on the boat - se la vie!!

As far as Bonaire vs Coz - I don't know, Cozumel is hard to beat.....

[video=youtube;PD_cHedzoYU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD_cHedzoYU[/video]

We just got back from our Bonaire trip and didn't see much "big stuff" except tarpon until our last day when we dove Hilma Hooker. We saw a huge HUGE eel (7-8 feet) and a huge barracuda (as big as both of us) along with the 15 smaller barracuda with him. I really started to appreciate the small stuff around Bonaire because you aren't scanning for the big stuff like is typical in places where you can reasonably expect to see the big stuff. The reef is so healthy, there are loads of place to look. We found seahorses, a frog fish, lots of hiding eels (including one that was hunting an octopus that barrel rolled like a crocodile and pulled part of him out of the reef!), a lettuce sea slug, and flamingo tongue snails.

We also dove Buddy Reef at dusk/beginning of the night and saw a bunch of tarpon and almost a dozen eels on the move around the reef. My husband hates eels so he was displeased, but I love them so it was great!

Our day on Salt Pier wasn't the best because of the waves/current. The vis was pretty bad, maybe 50-60 feet at best and we only saw the usual suspects (no rays, turtles, octopus, etc.) but another couple dove it a few days later and also saw a huge barracuda there.

I too am prone to motion/sea sickness- Your buddy can get over this as I did. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, Fruits, don't over eat, 1 Scopolamine Transdermal Patch behind the ear will last you 3 days. A prescription is required and not hard to get. Take an extra patch or two in case one falls off. (They do on occasion, but rarely), also supplement with taking 2 550mg ginger root pills once a day an hour before diving. Spring Valley Whole Root Ginger Root Capsules, 550mg, 100 count - Walmart.com

WORKS LIKE A CHARM! :cool2:

Back
Top Bottom