Another "My first regulator" question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point Matt.

Sorry, got carried away.

BTW, you forgot "Why DIR sucks / Why DIR Rules".

I disagree with these comments.

My LDS treats me like a criminal for shopping online, which is ridiculous. Why the hell would I buy from my LDS when I can buy online @ 30% - 50% cheaper?! LDSs are like any other competitive business - they have to offer enough value to their clients so their clients will not need to make purchases elsewhere. For those LDSs that don't offer enough value (whether it is low prices, good service, or other value adding activities) you are free to take your business elsewhere.

I give my LDS as much of my business as I think is appropriate. I get my courses, air fills and some minor gear from them. I am regretting purchasing my mask, fins, boots, hood and gloves from them given I could have purchase them from LP for 50% of the LDS price I paid. I also bought a $2,500 drysuit from them because I could not get a better deal for a similar DS online. Everything else I bought online and so far my savings (LDS vs. online) are running at about $1,500.

I'm tired of seeing this "support your local LDS" business on here. If you can get your gear cheaper outside of the LDS, even if it $50 cheaper, why wouldn't you? Your LDS should be grateful to you, as a customer, for your business and should not hold you as a hostage if you don't buy everything from them.

As far as "buying life support online" goes, what facts do you have to prove that buying "life support" online is more dangerous than @ your LDS? My LDS owner told me that she never buys any dive gear online because "you don't know what you are getting". I struggled not to laugh when I heard that.

:popcorn:
I dont think you have to buy all your stuff at LDS .
You do have to be careful when buying regs on line,make sure you get a reg that can be serviced easly.
i dont think paying for a scuba course and purchasing a 5.00 tank of air is supporting your LDS.
He needs to pay for shop , insurance,stock and also student equipment.
The problem is walmart mentallity,Cheap Cheap Cheap thats all that counts!
After walmart ran out all the good hardware stores in town , i had to drive 40 miles to get simple hardware that was always availible.
You may have to drive more then that when your LDS Shuts Down.
I bet LP couldnt rebuild your reg on the spot,but if you purchase you reg from LDS he would!
I believe in balance , there are some things that require a one on one relationship.i am not going to to trust my life support system to anybody that i cant talk eye to eye with!
Your Lds Cannot service such things as dive computer ,it has to be sent away.
So it makes since to buy a dive computer online ,since you can save 200.00
but still i would only buy a dive computer from authorized dealer,like scuba toys.
I have learned some of these things the hard way,And thats all i have to say on the subject!

My OP clearly stated that my options are buying online or in SE Asia. There is no point arguing about LDS as it is not an option.

Why? Because it does not cost 30% more nor 50%. I am in Dublin guys. We use the euro. It would cost easily the double and the choice is ridiculous.

I also tried closing this thread in post number 8 and said that I will start new ones with more specific questions. I did that but recieved very few responses to my reg inquiries. You are still welcome to comment but I might order already today.

Altogether, while I apprecite good advice, it appears that many people don't bother reading the questions and post whatever rocks their ego:wink: I don't mean anybody in particular. It is my general observation that I made while browsing hundereds of threads.

Personally I would have been happier with less responses if these were more thoughtful. I do realise that it is unrealistic and that on other forums things are no different. However, since I did have to read loads of words that I never asked for, you might as well read mine. :D

Thanks everybody!

I dive with a Scubapro MK25/X650 with a Ocenic Omega II oct. the reason is it is a very streamlined reg the X650 does not stick out very far from your mouth and in strong current it will not free flow like in a river. The Omega II is a side breathing reg and it is very small and streamlined attached to your BC. it also breaths very easy and has no up or down to it so it can be employed in a lot of positions. I believe you need to have second stage avaliable when you are supervising or teaching.
And Welcome to Pro Diving. The other thing to consider is the shop you will work for will want you to use their store brands so you may have to buy a new one with every store you work with.

Congrats on the DM! I personally dive an Apeks Black Pearl (ATX200) and love it. Environmentally sealed is a must. How are the prices on Apeks products?

Get the abys package, wrist computer, pair it with a hoseless computer for backup and you should be all set for about any depth. One thing though, if there's no "lifetime parts" on the Mares the service could get quite pricey - parts are NOT cheap.
The RGBM algorithm on mares comps is conservative enough to keep you safe and you can get a more aggressive hoseless if you want / need it.
The Backplate / wing / tank configuration is something VERY personal and depends on your height, weight, air consumption rate, exposure protection, length of the dives, personal preferences - hard to give advice there.
If in doubt just get the item that looks more attractive to you - if you go wrong at least you'll have a one reason to be happy, ...
There is a thread regarding tank choices and backplate / wing configuration (it deals with cold water diving though), ...
Good luck.
Post pictures (i guess it's a great place if you choose to fly that far).
Let us know how it worked out, maybe somebody else can benefit from your experience as well (especially after you get to try the gear in real world).
Dive safe.
Nick.

The RGBM algorithm on mares comps is conservative enough to keep you safe and you can get a more aggressive hoseless if you want / need it.

There is no evidence, none whatsoever, that a more conservative computer places you at any lower risk of DCS.

Satori, thank you! I appreciate it so much more since you we the only one to congratulate me.

Everybody, I ordered as I was advised and expect the gear to arrive end of next week.

You can follow this link to read about my research experiences and my expressions of gratitude.

Thanks a lot! I mean it!

BTW, here is my first set-up question.

There is no evidence, none whatsoever, that a more conservative computer places you at any lower risk of DCS.

Did you think this one through? What evidence do you need? Are you waiting for a PADI manual "Common Sense Diver" to be published?

Did you think this one through? What evidence do you need? Are you waiting for a PADI manual "Common Sense Diver" to be published?

Any conclusion that a specific computer would be "safer" than another would need to be supported by evidence before it could be accepted as fact. Otherwise it's just a claim that anyone could make. DAN publishes statistics of DCS cases. There has never been any colloration shown to exist between specific computer algorithms and incidence of DCS. Part of the reason for this might be that incidence of DCs among recreational diving is very low, so there is a small pool of statistics. Another possible reason is that specific causes of DCS are not easily traced and there are several variables. Over time, theories have developed about possible risk factors such as dehydration, exercise immediately following diving, age, obesity, etc. However, one risk factor that has never been shown to have a statistical impact on DCS cases is computer choice.

Regardless, some people "feel" that they are safer using a computer with a more conservative algorithm; in fact, that's probably one of the reasons people buy suunto computers. The truth is that these computers simply are not demonstrably safer, at least it can be said that (for example) suunto users have not, over the past several years, suffered a lower percentage of DCS than, say, oceanic users. If there were data supporting this conclusion, don't you suspect that suunto would be very interested in publishing those and using that data as a sales tactic?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom