Aqualung Conself, Aquarius, Calypso???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like Herman said, go with the Conshelf. That is just one of the best first stages of all times.

A Scubapro Mk-2 or Mk-5 are also classic regulator and very easy to service (and they used to be one of my favorites in the 70's), but now I prefer the Conshelf for best all around first stage.

The Conshelf XIV has another advantage over the other regs you mentioned. It is the US Navy reg of choice so it is still in production and parts are easier to get.

Like Herman said, go with the Conshelf. That is just one of the best first stages of all times.

A Scubapro Mk-2 or Mk-5 are also classic regulator and very easy to service (and they used to be one of my favorites in the 70's), but now I prefer the Conshelf for best all around first stage.
The Conshelf XIV has another advantage over the other regs you mentioned. It is the US Navy reg of choice so it is still in production and parts are easier to get.

I agree. That is one of the qualities (and categories) that I had in mind when I made this statement: “but now I prefer the Conshelf for best all around first stage.” But I was not explicit.

Even if or when the Conshelf goes out of production, parts will be available as long as Aqua Lung continues to make regulators that use some of the same internal parts (Titan, Legend, etc.). There are also aftermarket parts available and many sources for parts.

What I mean by categories in a regulator first stage qualities, I am referring about:

1. Performance: ability to maintain constant IP with minimum IP drop, good IP lock, and with good flow rate potential, long term durability (without needing service).
  2. Ease of service: minimal of special tools needed, easy to adjust IP if needed, simple procedures needed (almost intuitive in nature), good provisions for using high torque wrenches if needed to loosen up parts.
  3. Availability of parts (and good service documentation): some manufacturers restrict parts sales, but in many cases they are still easy to get. Also are there any aftermarket sources. Does the regulator has a large enough following that aftermarket sources will be available for many years?
  4. Convenience: hose routing, size and weight of first stage, can it operate with any high pressure cylinder (both mechanism/ HP O-rings and yoke capacity).
There may be a few qualities that I am not capturing, but I think this are the important ones.

Note: IMO, the Conshelf first stage excels or is at least as good or above average in all the categories mentioned. In a few of the qualities mention, the Conshelf first stage has no match.

Referring to the availability of good service documentation, you can download diagrams and several complete service manuals for the Conshelf (and Titan first stage) from VDH. Look at the top of VDH where it says Manuals & Catalogs.

There are US Divers manuals from 1971, 1976 and modern manuals available with step by step instructions. You can even download a Conshelf manual from the military web pages from Aqua Lung.

The newest Titan manual (which applies very closely to the Conshelf) has great pictures and very clear instructions. I highly recommend it. If you can’t find it easily, I can email it to you.

I down loaded a recent Aqualung manual that goes set by step for the first and second stages, it even has color photos! I've read it a couple of times already and it is very detailed and easy to understand. I'll look for the newest Titan manual. I'd better order the tools right away so I can get started when the regs get here. I decided on the the XIV based on many of the reasons you (Luis) listed. Especially the long term use by the Navy. That should make parts available long into the future.

On another topic, I've only used modern plastic 2nd stage regulators (H2O, Scubapro) and I am concerned about the weight of the Conshelf. Have any of you found this to be a problem?

I down loaded a recent Aqualung manual that goes set by step for the first and second stages, it even has color photos! I've read it a couple of times already and it is very detailed and easy to understand. I'll look for the newest Titan manual. I'd better order the tools right away so I can get started when the regs get here. I decided on the the XIV based on many of the reasons you (Luis) listed. Especially the long term use by the Navy. That should make parts available long into the future.

On another topic, I've only used modern plastic 2nd stage regulators (H2O, Scubapro) and I am concerned about the weight of the Conshelf. Have any of you found this to be a problem?

When I had just gotten my permanent front teeth they were removed courtesy of a drunk driver. I got to go through a windshield after bouncing off the steel dash of a 57 Ford. They do not make cars like they used to! So my front upper teeth have some titanium doodads that anchor them to the bone. And they are sensitive to be pried upon and it gives me a headache too. This is one of the reasons I much prefer a double hose regulator. The mouthpiece floats and does not pry downward like ALL single hose regulators do. The chunky Conshelf will pry down, I know this as fact but it displaces a good deal of water so it is not too bad. I probably used the Conshelf more than any regulator (single hose) until I bought a Titan XL. Which I really, really like.

If Padi ever has me rendentioned to Guantanamo, forget waterboarding, just tie me to a post and stick a single hose in my mouth. I will give it all up right away!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will even tell them were I hide my copy of Basic Scuba and my copy of the forbidden New Science of Skin and SCUBA and even give up my secret stash of Tekna parts. Single hose regs ought to be against some international treaty or Geneva Conference human right!

N

My point in posting was that scuba regs aren't serviced with common home repair tools and shouldn't be taken apart without guidance and help the first time.

My very first job in the early 70’s was in a dive shop. A large part of my work was as the primary regulator mechanic at the shop. I was 14 years old. I was also mostly self taught, with some manuals. I actually taught many regulator classes before I ever took a class from a manufacturer. You could say that I was a professional regulator technician long before I got my engineering degrees.

My point is that regulators are not that complicated and the propaganda to try to make them sound like they are, is for the most part a marketing strategy to keep the customers going back for service.

There are some people that are not mechanically inclined and should not even change a light bulb without supervision, but the vast majority of the people can easily learn how to service a regulator. Most divers that are interested on vintage scuba gear are probably going to be at least somewhat mechanically inclined.

My point in posting was that scuba regs aren't serviced with common home repair tools and shouldn't be taken apart without guidance and help the first time.

I guess some of us are disagreeing. It depends on what you call "common home repair tools" and some people by nature, avocation or other experience can easily "taken apart" anything without any guidance and fully understand it. Please do not lump everyone together. I for one, could never play a piano, but if an alien lands in my backyard needing his gravity flux dark matter generator realigned, no problemo. Seems easy enough. Let not over complicate what is a very simple device about on par with changing the washer in a dripping faucet, if that challenging. In fact, want to make me break into a cold sweat, mention plumbing, I become otherwise occupied suddenly.

N

Well, actually I recommend the one I make...snip

I recommend the tools that Herman makes too.

To the OP: You've gotten great advice especially from Luis (the designer of the ONLY modern double hose regulators worth having) and Herman who was very instrumental in bringing the Argonaut Kraken ( Argonaut Kraken History, courtesy of CG45.com )project to fruition. If you feel comfortable with tools go for it and never mind the naysayers.

You might want to join us in the DIY forum here on SB and at Vintage Double Hose.

Cheers,

Couv

Last edited:

I use an old heavy scuba pro second stage. For the last 5-6 yrs maybe, I have been using the light weight and flexible woven second stage hose on it. I think this makes the second stage very comfortable and I do not feel any weight associated with it. Not sure if those new hoses are "vintage enough", but I do notice a difference with them.

I have both upper and lower dentures... I do not use any adhesive.... I use a long bite mouth piece and have no trouble at all with my conshelf XIV...

Jim....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom