Are you "cheap"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At first I used my Fire Departments equipment. But the second year I bought my own. I know I paid more for mine and my girlfriends equipment at my LDS. But the "extras" I get when I go there are worth it. And besides they are great people and I`m always willing to help out good friends.
BCDs $529/$429
REGs $737
Masks $65
Fins $129
Suit $489/$419

Guba:
This springs from another thread (about changes in the dive industry) that mentions "cheap consumers" who presumably use very inexpensive dive equipment.
The question: Are you a "cheap cosumer"? For example (if you don't mind me asking...) what did you pay for your
1) regulator setup
2) Dive computer
3) mask
5) Fins

I'll even go first...regulator was about $250 (from a friend getting out of diving)
Computer $185 Mask (current) $60 Fins $85

Yup, I'm cheap!

How about you?

Cheap is a relative term. Any more, I look for the best value on the items I want. Funny as it is, the last several items I bought came from a DDS (distant dive store). He had what I wanted for a price I was willing to pay (and even let me take it for a day of diving prior to the sale). He also happened to be with 10-20 bucks of the best price I could find anywhere.

Now for the list:

1) Regs - anywhere from $200-$500 last two were $300ish each (have 7)
2) Computer - First one - $300ish, 2nd (VR3) to damned much, 3rd bottom timer -
$100
3) mask - prescription mask - $275 with ground lenses. Backups - $10-$20 on ebay
my wife's Pro-Ear - $50
4) Fins - $40 jet fins on Ebay, I have other pairs in the sub $100 range

My last wing I bought came as a factory 2nd from Exteme Exposure. 1/2 price for cosmetic defects and full warranty.

But yes, I am cheap

Guba:
The question: Are you a "cheap cosumer"?
Yup, I'm cheap!

How about you?
I prefer to refer to myself as thrifty.

Everything I bought at the diveshop was below list so I think that makes it a good deal. Besides I enjoy every dollar of it everytime I use it. but just for you people with the 60 - 200 dollar masks I have 2 $15 masks that have been down past 80 to 100 fet without problem. I dont see the benifit in it.

Just weird I guess.

Dont want to add everything together , but $575 for the Evolve system , 4 somther for the Agir system , $640 for the reg sets with 2 first stages, but i got a smoken deal on my computer $175 console mouunted even thought its disassembled into seperates.

Guba:
The question: Are you a "cheap consumer"? For example (if you don't mind me asking...) what did you pay for your
1) regulator setup
2) Dive computer
3) mask
5) Fins

Yup, I'm cheap!

How about you?

Scottish engineers are the worst for "cost optimizing" since I belong to both categories it should come as no surprise that my gear is fully optimized...

1) Regulator SP MK10/D400 for about $60
2) Dive computer Aladin sport for $56
3) Mask, Akona for $30 (bought new)
5) Fins, Apollo biofins $135 the cheapest price I could find on the web

And since you missed out 4)

4) Drysuit Bare HD Trilam $150

I have spent a plethora of money on a plethora of gear over the years.

BUT what is really nice is I have had others spend a plethora of money on a plethora of gear that I have unlimited access to.

They even give me money so I can spend my less than a plethora of cash on more than a plethora of gear. :D

Gary D.

Diving for about 2.5 years, college student,

1st set of gear, dropped 1800 on it,

OMS IQ pack
wetsuit
mk25 g250 N R390
Nitek Duo

that was almost 2.5 years ago

now i have about 9.5k retail worth of dive gear in my room and garage, latest addition is a Signature Series TLS350. will clear 10k once i get my VR3

i realised, if you ask about the price, it's too expensive

I prefer the term "cost-effective".

1) regulator setup Used Diverite RG2500 $217.00
2) Dive computer New Tusa IQ-800 Sapience $325.00
3) mask New OceanMaster Primero $49.95
5) Fins New Mares Quattro Excel LE $120.00

The latest purchase was new Henderson Semi-Dry Gold-Core 7/5mm $242.00

Plus tons of other stuff, including BC, knives, lights, camera, housing, gloves, boots, pony, tools, rings, clips, etc, etc, etc...

You can never stop, there is ALWAYS something else that you MUST have for your next dive.

Never figured out the total expense. Even being "cost-effective" we are talking THOUSANDS...

Now my son will be starting his OW training, so here we go again... I'm gonna need a second job... :coffee:

Thrifty is a good word that has been used a number of times in this thread. I definately fall into that category and it has allowed me to buy a lot more cool stuff than if I hadn't been chea.....thrifty. I have purchased more diving equipment through the internet than at my LDS and still have a good relationship with them. Although I have spent a fair sum on equipment from them, they also know that I have purchased more from places like eBay and some online stores. They also know that I have and continue to spend a lot of money on training and refer potential divers to them whenever possible. My instructor has purchased quite a bit of equipment from eBay in years past and understands that everyone doesn't get the same discount as he does by virtue of working there. The more I send in training the more willing they are to give me the student discount on equipment......Hummmm?

p.s. I am also afraid to add up what I have spent but I know I love every damn piece. My wife says she doesn't want to know what I have spent and I agree with her on that one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom