Argon Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

other than "VX" my argon bottle has no markings at all. ;-)

there is NO danger of me breathing it and if some knucklehead
says "hey, lookey here .... a pony that i can use ... heh heh
but it aint mine ..."

Originally posted by roguediver
My dive shop does not have Argon stickers do you know where I might be able to get some. thank you.
My LDS didn't carry them either so I had them order some for me...
However there might be an online storefront that you could get them from... I just don't know of one off hand...

Originally posted by WreckWriter
pressure relief valve in the reg's HP port also, both on your purging tank and on your carry tanks (on any reg which has no 2nd stage).
I'm sure Tom means LP port for the OPRV and he is right... I should have added that to my post (and I suppose to my purge tank :wink: )

We do have OPRVs on our suit bottle regs.

GM said:
there is NO danger of me breathing it and if some knucklehead says "hey, lookey here .... a pony that i can use ... heh heh but it aint mine ..."

But if they die from breathing the gas, won't I be deprived of the pleasure of hunting them down and using the tank to bash their brains in???

More to the point...

I started out using a 13cf Ar tank, which was enough for a few dives, but I got tired of running out of gas on the third or fourth dive and I got tired of lugging it around underwater. Now I use an old AL80 (cheapest functional tank I could find) to transport gas in and to purge from. Most dives I take a 6cf tank underwater with me, but that may not be required. I probably wouldn't use backgas for dives involving cold water, extended run times or He.

Wearing the right underwear is more important to my warmth than gas - although I've noticed a non-linear consumption pattern related to the weight of the underwear I'm wearing.

I wish no harm to my fellow *divers* .. knuckleheads or not :)

the proper underwear is indeed key to warmth. If it was *gas*
in the suit that kept us warm we could blow our suits up like
the michelin man and wear nothing more than a bathing suit.

If you have only 10 or 15 percent He in your BG you can *get
away* with using it for suit inflation .. IF the water is not too
cold.

If you only have 10-15% He in your BG then you are just pretending to be using He, so you might as well do a half-assed flush of your suit with argon and pretend you are using it too.

Originally posted by Green_Manelishi

If you have only 10 or 15 percent He in your BG you can *get
away* with using it for suit inflation .. IF the water is not too
cold.

Originally posted by DNAXdiver
If you only have 10-15% He in your BG then you are just pretending to be using He, so you might as well do a half-assed flush of your suit with argon and pretend you are using it too.
Not necessarliy... once you start diving mix you will find that there are times that rather than dump half a twin set of mix before filling with say EAN32 you just go ahead and top it... and you end up with a residual of He... which you ignore.

But I still don't want to pretend that 10-15% He doesn't cool me down...

I would rather pretend that the argon flush keeps me warm...

Good point. I routinely use argon on any dives when I am using doubles, so I haven't ever given the risidual He much thought, as long as the O2 is where I want it. But of course it is often there when you top up with air.

I was just venting some spleen, because lately I keep running into wannabe techies who are diving anemic mixes mostly because they don't understand mix deco and are diving them on air/nitrox computers, then boast about how they are big bad "trimix divers". What a buddy calls "ritualistic use". I was taught that if it's worth using He, then you should be using at least 30% or the advantages just ins't enough to bother with.

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Not necessarliy... once you start diving mix you will find that there are times that rather than dump half a twin set of mix before filling with say EAN32 you just go ahead and top it... and you end up with a residual of He... which you ignore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom