Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pawel G Majkowski

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a few open water dives away from becoming NAUI certified and I am having so much fun, My wife and I know we want to continue diving.

Question for more seasoned divers:
Where should I spend my first thousand dollars?
Where will I see the most noticeable improvements in comfort and enjoyment that will go beyond rental gear?

So far I have invested in:
mask - AquaLung Favola
snorkel - Impulse 3
Fins - Mares Volo Power
Dive Skin - 1mm AquaLung Hydro flex
Weight Belt

I would look into regs and dive computers for my next choices.

And it is the cost of equipment, as investment implies a return on your money.

Bob

Spend it on dives and rental gear.

When my wife and I started diving we bought decent masks and cheap fins and snorkels. Then after about 20-50 dives and a ton of research we bought the rest of our kits. Now after years of diving we have upgraded our fins & masks to better but still use the same computers, regulators & BCDs. By doing a bunch of dives we had a much better idea of what we wanted in our more expensive dive equipment.

First piece of dive gear I ever bought was my Zoop dive computer. It has served well as a "recreational" computer and as a back up to my Petrel. My dive buddy uses it now. I do not regret spending my first dive dollars on a computer.

try everything....dive everything....then buy what you like.

Bob: I have been eyeing up some pretty sweet computers. Guess my ROI would be enjoyment :)

Colo: Fresh perspective, and good point. Probably should look at getting some dives under my belt. I do have to say, buying that Impulse 3 was the best decision so far in my gear. It makes clearing the snorkel so much easier than my previous rig.

unfortunately i vehemently disagree with renting equipment. The simple fact is that unless you have a bunch of dive shops with different rental equipment in the area, renting isn't going to do you any good in terms of regs and bc's.

Look at your end goal of diving and buy equipment for that. Read the threads on here about bc's, regs, computers etc and make informed decisions. There are plenty of them. Don't be afraid to buy used as long as you know what you're looking for.

My opinion

Regs first, BC second, preferably together, and computer next. You can find cheap consoles online, or even fairly cheap computers used on ebay if you want. Nitek Duo's are my usual go to.

If the 1k is per diver, then I would get a DSS backplate and wing first $500, a Hollis DG03 from Dive Gear Express $250, and then save up until you can buy the reg sets of your choice. There are a lot of decisions that go into this, most of which stem around the ability or almost requirement to self service *which I highly recommend if you are even halfway mechanically inclined* I.e. if you are comfortable changing the hard drive in your computer, you can service a regulator....

Personally I would buy the computer next if I were to buy anything more prior to being certified. That will probably help you the most with regards to keeping track of NDL etc

unfortunately i vehemently disagree with renting equipment. The simple fact is that unless you have a bunch of dive shops with different rental equipment in the area, renting isn't going to do you any good in terms of regs and bc's.

Look at your end goal of diving and buy equipment for that. Read the threads on here about bc's, regs, computers etc and make informed decisions. There are plenty of them. Don't be afraid to buy used as long as you know what you're looking for.
I second this opinion. Once you have decided to become a diver commented to the sport you should invest in your gear.

You should ask these questions;

Where are you going to do your diving? Locally in the Great Lakes, warm tropical water or both?

Are you going to be a recreational diver or tech diver?

Good Luck & Good Diving!

Back
Top Bottom