Athletic fit wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got the same problem. I'm 5'10", 155 lbs. and 30 in. waist. Someone before mentioned Henderson Hyperstretch and I'll second this. I've got three of them and they all fit wonderfully.

Jason

I have had the same problem. 6'2" 250# 36" waist, 52" chest 44" thighs. Finding anything to fit can be a challenge. I have always found that is the neck, wrists, and ankles are snug the suit being baggy is not a problem. I grew up diving off the coast of Maine, never had a problem with being cold at the end of a dive....

I've been looking to replace my wetsuit, which I bought during my OW a few months ago and it's already coming apart. I don't mind spending a bit more this time around, but I want it to last. I was looking at the O'Neill Reactor 3/2 which Ironically is less than what I paid for my Deep Sea 3 mil.

I have a tought time with the fit since I'm 6'5" & 240# I always feel like the legs are too short and the sleeves too. Not to mention I have a 36" waist and most suit my size XXL are for bigger waists. The O'Neill seems to be the best fit.

I've considered going to a shorty, but really like the added warmth and protection of a full length suit even tho I'm diving warm waters only.

Does anyone dive the O'Neill reactor? Is it durable? Likes or Dislikes? I know surfers like the brand, just don't know if any divers have any first hand experience with this suit. Any other brand recommendations?

Wys.

Henderson Hyperstretch. 250% stretch, more than any other so it will be much more comfortable. Titanium helps reflect more heat back too. I'd recommend an XL. Let me know if you have any questions about the fit. I've been fitting wetsuits for over 21 years.

Good luck,

Britt :fish:
:fish:

wysmar:
I've been looking to replace my wetsuit, which I bought during my OW a few months ago and it's already coming apart. I don't mind spending a bit more this time around, but I want it to last. I was looking at the O'Neill Reactor 3/2 which Ironically is less than what I paid for my Deep Sea 3 mil.

I have a tought time with the fit since I'm 6'5" & 240# I always feel like the legs are too short and the sleeves too. Not to mention I have a 36" waist and most suit my size XXL are for bigger waists. The O'Neill seems to be the best fit.

I've considered going to a shorty, but really like the added warmth and protection of a full length suit even tho I'm diving warm waters only.

Does anyone dive the O'Neill reactor? Is it durable? Likes or Dislikes? I know surfers like the brand, just don't know if any divers have any first hand experience with this suit. Any other brand recommendations?

Wys.

You need to be in the Henderson Hyperstretch XL-Long. Made for someone like you!
http://www.crazyscuba.com/products.cfm?PID=120

Good luck,

I can not speak for your part of this planet,but on this side of the ocean it's common practice to get your suit a bit oversized and then get it to a wetsuit tailor and get a custom rebuild for a perfect fit.This must be possible on your side of the ocean and will you cost far less then a custom made suit.Just ask your LDS:huh:

CrazyScuba:
You need to be in the Henderson Hyperstretch XL-Long. Made for someone like you!
http://www.crazyscuba.com/products.cfm?PID=120

Good luck,

Thanks for the suggestion I viewed the link and the size chart says weight 195 to 215 and the waist 37-39 which is exactly the problem I have. I weight more (even my ideal weigth 220) is higher and my waist is smaller 36"

I understand that the suit will stretch so the weight may not be an issue, but the waist is still bigger.

Also, what is the actual lenght on the sleeves? The inseam says 32" I'm 35", most suits make me feel like I'm in a MJ video during the 80's

Thanks for your help.

Wys.

300bar diver:
I can not speak for your part of this planet,but on this side of the ocean it's common practice to get your suit a bit oversized and then get it to a wetsuit tailor and get a custom rebuild for a perfect fit.This must be possible on your side of the ocean and will you cost far less then a custom made suit.Just ask your LDS:huh:

What effect does tailoring have on seals and stiching etc?

I do have to get my dress pants altered but they usually add fabric to the end of the legs and fold that under. Is this possible with neoprene?

If you can give me some links to wetsuit tailors I would greatly appreciated it.

I did find http://www.terrapinwetsuits.com/ but don't know the firs thing about them or the quality of their work.

Wys

I think you answered your own question with the link provided
For the quality of this company I don't know but the comany we use over here
workmanship is perfect aspecialy on (blind) stiching

wysmar:
Thanks for the suggestion I viewed the link and the size chart says weight 195 to 215 and the waist 37-39 which is exactly the problem I have. I weight more (even my ideal weigth 220) is higher and my waist is smaller 36"

I understand that the suit will stretch so the weight may not be an issue, but the waist is still bigger.

Also, what is the actual lenght on the sleeves? The inseam says 32" I'm 35", most suits make me feel like I'm in a MJ video during the 80's

Thanks for your help.

Wys.

We have an instructor at 6'5" in that suit and it fits him very well. With an athletic build you're always going to lose on the waist, but you have the BC cummberbund (maybe a weight belt?) that will help, but if we take you down to the Large Long with your weight, it will be too tight on your shoulders.

Are you going for a cold water suit or a warm water suit and what thickness? This might be where a core warmer could take up the additional slack in the waist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom