Aussie Diving Jan 2 to 11th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wind and tide conspired again to limit out choice of dive sites yesterday, so it was back to Bundegi Reef inside Exmouth Gulf for a couple of dives. It was deja vu all over again, the Batfish were there still doing their thing around the mooring and under the boat:

452546207_FB3yW-L.jpg

452546288_o5bJZ-M.jpg

The school of Big-eye Trevally were still swimming around the big coral bommie:

452557865_Yymny-M.jpg

But there was something different, this time we were a bit closer to the turn of the tide and the soft corals were pumped up and ready to feed as the tide went out carrying a lot of nutrients from inside the gulf:

452546369_jAtPT-L.jpg

452557908_FAkUf-L.jpg

YAY! More batfish, they are cool looking fish. Also the other pictures are beautiful as well, as always Gudge :)

Looking forward to your new video C8X :) Yea NDL can come up quickly. Once I accidentally went into deco because the dive plan was for 30mins at 24m (as per my tables) but for some reason my computer only allows 28min at 24m so I ended up having to do 11mins of deco stops for only overstaying by 2min!!!

I got out for one dive yesterday, about an hour and a half at Blairgowrie Pier. It took 2 hours to get there with the traffic :shocked2: I was aiming to do another but ended up with a CO2 headache, my first in ages and ages! Anyway, it was a decent dive, saw a school of salmon and a school of trevally and I must have seen dozens and dozens of nudis including a baby Verco's nudi! It was *so* tiny but I could see it was orange with blue markings... just. Chilled is camping so no camera. My memory stick should arrive soon for my own though :bounce:

Also for the dive the owner at Scuba Doctor (my favourite dive shop :)) loaned me his BP/W for the dive as I am thinking of buying one, very comfortable! Next pay I will get one and probably sell my old BC before it becomes too ratty :) Going to try to make my own harness for it too, which should be interesting as all I have done DIY before is make a bed from IKEA. :wink:

I dived on Tuesday off the spit, conditions sucked and I lost my camera. We also did our seach and recovery dive on Friday but our dive on Ex- HMAS Brisbane was cancelled due to bad conditions for today.

Bad luck! I lost a camera on a GBR trip. Luckily (kindof) I was already working myself up to an upgrade. I use a lanyard now to keep the $2000 kit attached to my person.

Nice shots almity1 I think I know those critters!

Just got back from
Canberra and greg said we couldn 't dive in the lake.. spoilsport!

I did have the camera on a bungee however it wasn't attach to my bcd as My buddy took my gear out so I could climb in and put it on in the water, and I had the camera. I put the camera over my arm and as I put my arm back to slip on my bcd the camera slipped off my arm. My buddies and I went looking but vis was only about 1/2metre or less and the current was very very strong. No Chance of finding it!

Well I've got 2 hours left to get in on this thread. One thing I'm not going to miss about Australia is the internet.

Fish, Rock, Cave. on Vimeo
The soundtrack might not be for everyone, so for the cave segment you might have to turn the vimeo volume down and play some Michael Bolton or whatever does it for you.

@Gudge, I didn't realized the soft corals did that, haven't been diving often enough to notice those kinds of things, that's cool, great photos.

Well I've got 2 hours left to get in on this thread. One thing I'm not going to miss about Australia is the internet.

Fish, Rock, Cave. on Vimeo
The soundtrack might not be for everyone, so for the cave segment you might have to turn the vimeo volume down and play some Michael Bolton or whatever does it for you.

@Gudge, I didn't realized the soft corals did that, haven't been diving often enough to notice those kinds of things, that's cool, great photos.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs are good! :) Not sure why one would want to turn the volume down? Anyway, great video! I am so excited about my trip soon. It is not far now, 55 days :)

Thanks! Lots of the divers I meet around here are twice my age, maybe I generalize too much :) The cave needed to rock.

I'm off to Townsville tomorrow, for 4 days on the MV Sea-esta, for better or worse. I'm mainly hoping for a shot at the Yongala on the last day but that's far from guaranteed.

Back
Top Bottom