Aussie Diving Jan 2 to 11th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep popping the hose off would have been another good option. I am glad I did the dive as I did for practice by your solution would definitely been an easy solution. I must say I have been thinking of getting a dedicated occy for some time. I've ordered another Delta because I like the ability to detune or adjust the flow rate underwater.
Horses for courses!
There's certainly nothing wrong with the AIR2 type thing. I had one on my zeagle bpw setup and it was tops
They have their little issues sometimes though, like you experienced

BTW Steve - keep us posted how the 300 bar 7L's go: I'm considering doing the same, but am mulling over 240 or 300 bar tanks.

I heard the 300's are very negative and harder to balance so it will be interesting to see how you find them.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Horses for courses!
There's certainly nothing wrong with the AIR2 type thing. I had one on my zeagle bpw setup and it was tops
They have their little issues sometimes though, like you experienced

Yep I will keep both. As I said to the guy at the LDS the people I dive with know my gear and are experienced enough in an emerg the air share thing wouldn't be a problem. Where we dive there are a lot of classes (I have counted 5 different classes going on at one time). There is a chance that if one of them gets in trouble they will go for the closest diver and that could be me.

I would rather be breathing off my Occy and not the AIRII if I am dealing with a paniced diver. The AirII pulls your head around too much and I can't see a paniced diver breathing off it comfortably either.

im not a fan of the air2... im a simple 4 hose girl (no wireless for me either)

what i dont like about the latest oceanics is that if you want your air2 serviced you have to hand over your entire bcd these days, which is something i dont think is pointed out enough to newbies buying gear

but heck, i dive with a rebreather diver who is also a photographer so im a solo diver :lotsalove:

I've got a night dive lined up for tonight, and with these +2 meter morning tides coming up on the weekend I'm hoping to tag long for an exciting shore to shore drift dive as the water spills into Port Stephens. Last time I heard they overshot the exit by about 400m, the current was really clipping along. Meanwhile I'm wondering why I recorded so many minutes of video... editing is taking forever. Need another cup of coffee.

BTW Steve - keep us posted how the 300 bar 7L's go: I'm considering doing the same, but am mulling over 240 or 300 bar tanks.

I heard the 300's are very negative and harder to balance so it will be interesting to see how you find them.

Cheers,
Rohan.
Will do mate
The fact they are negative was a bonus for me as i dive dry all year round. It means i'll only have to whack a 3 or 6 pound v weight in and that's my total weighting (including a SS backplate). It's not so much the gas as you only get an extra 20% as opposed to 30% according to some obscure gas law that confuses me.
As for trim, they're long cylinders so there shouldn't be an issue there.
I'll hopefully let you know next week.

petunias - if you dive with occy and AIR2 then you've just got another reg to go wrong, IMO. If you go to an occy i'd just ditch the air2 thingy for a standard inflator and save the worry.

im not a fan of the air2... im a simple 4 hose girl (no wireless for me either)

what i dont like about the latest oceanics is that if you want your air2 serviced you have to hand over your entire bcd these days, which is something i dont think is pointed out enough to newbies buying gear

but heck, i dive with a rebreather diver who is also a photographer so im a solo diver :lotsalove:

Cmom Almitywife ... dont like airII, wireless or splits ... when are you going to come to the 21st century??? :D:D:D

Cmom Almitywife ... dont like airII, wireless or splits ... when are you going to come to the 21st century??? :D:D:D

But she does like springs and doesn't lie about the springs in her wetsuit:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

:rofl3:Someone just told me to message Almitywife that she is a wus.... she didn't go diving with Almity1 today:shakehead:

Oops... am I giving myself away? I missed out on diving today because my ear was a bit sore. They just told me they saw 2 Eastern Blue devils at the point! Joe was taking pictures of one and fish went off to see what Denis was taking pictures of and he had another one! Must be the season all right... I am so Jealous... the dive I miss and this happens!

This bird is cracking me up:rofl3: he is sitting on the table and tapping his beank on the table like he is typing with me:rofl3: I wonder if he is trying to tell us we have spent too much time on the computer lately?:no:

Had a nice night dive Friday night, lots of little guys to see at Fly Point, group was a bit big as I was just tagging along with a Pro Dive crew but it was still good despite low vis, lots of big decorator crabs on the red corals (gorgonians?).

Saturday I spent most of the day editing my video from Fish Rock and reliving that amazing experience. I've been telling everyone how good it was and I think I probably stirred up a little business for the guys at SW Rocks ;-) Vimeo link coming soon!

And today, Sunday I just got back from two shore dives. I was hoping to tag along on a "superman drift" as that sounded quite exciting when you get out off the point and catch the heavy current flooding into the port, and speed along at 3-4 knots across big sand bars and lots of soft corals, but sadly everyone from the shop seemed to have other duties. Instead I tagged along with an advanced course's first drift dive which wasn't too terribly exciting, just along the length of Halifax. Once the tide was in, I swapped tanks and met one of the regulars who always seems happy to show people around. He's a very experienced old timer, been in the region longer than most of the dive shops, knows his stuff, great person to dive with.

We dropped down off the east end of Halifax and saw all kinds of nice stuff in the deep end at a very calm pace, but I learned a good lesson here - it's one of the first times I've done a second dive without an organized group and I hadn't thought much about surface interval or bottom time. My buddy hadn't done the drift dive, and due to the timing of the tide my surface interval was quite short. Once we got down to 25m I was a bit surprised to see I had a No Deco time of 7 minutes, we were only 15-20m into the dive. I followed a long a bit and with 3 mins left signalled that I had to take a shallower profile. The tide was starting to run out anyway, you don't get long dives here unless you're a fan of serious cardio exercise, but I was a bit surprised that the time didn't come up too quickly even as I ascended to 15m. Well, it's one of those moments, once you are away from the baby sitters and realize you have to think for yourself. It all went well and up at the safety stop we found a octopus in the open, I got a lot of good macro footage of him but only as I was leaving I noticed what was going on -- one of his arms was extended and pulling on a rock the whole time, and I finally noticed that behind the rock, in a burrow, was another octopus holding the entrance shut with that rock! You could just see the little eyes sticking up behind the rock... hilarious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom