Average depth calculation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know what computers the OP was referring to, but, as far as I can tell, my Suunto Cobra and Mosquito both calculate avg depth. I can get that info both directly from the the 'puter log and from Dive Manager (at least ver. 1.4 which I'm still using).

Or am I missing something here and the "avg depth" numbers provided are NOT really avg depth?

Peter Guy:
I don't know what computers the OP was referring to, but, as far as I can tell, my Suunto Cobra and Mosquito both calculate avg depth. I can get that info both directly from the the 'puter log and from Dive Manager (at least ver. 1.4 which I'm still using).

Or am I missing something here and the "avg depth" numbers provided are NOT really avg depth?

Suunto computers are one of the few types that will display average depth. Most do not.

R..

I'm diving with a Tusa "Sapience" IQ-800, and it calculates average depth over my dive.

If you add the third variable, the average depth, then you can extrapolate your SAC rate for that particular dive.

Over a period of time, if one has the inclination to do so, one can determine an average SAC rate for a certain type of dive.

As The Kraken suggested, I use it to calculate my SAC rates. So far, my lowest SAC number was on a night dive in tropical waters. It makes for interesting notations in your log book.

Steve

Steve Egner:
I'm diving with a Tusa "Sapience" IQ-800, and it calculates average depth over my dive.
How do you like the Sapience? I have seriously considered one for the vibrating alarm. I never hear any alarms when under water. It is such an intuitive solution that I cant believe other computers dont offer it.

Willie

I was taught the rule of thumb for shore-dives was 70% of max depth by a NAUI instructor.

wet-willie asked,
How do you like the Sapience? I have seriously considered one for the vibrating alarm. I never hear any alarms when under water. It is such an intuitive solution that I cant believe other computers dont offer it.

The vibrating alarm is a terrific feature. You'll always know when it's yours... It's the first and only computer I've ever used, so I've nothing to compare it to, but I like it. I've learned to slow my ascents considerably. I always thought I was slow before, but the ascent rate alarm taught me otherwise. Very quietly.

I've used it with a 3ml suit in Hawaii, a 7ml suit here in the Puget Sound, and also with my new drysuit. The vibration is sufficient, even through my drysuit.

Good luck and safe diving,

Steve

The Hydrospace Explorer also calculates and displays average depth.

nkw5:
It doesn't seem like many computers figure out your average depth. Or is that because I've been looking in the low end range?

Our Aries Atmos-2s do not provide average depth. The software does crunch if from the data points. You need the most recent version which is a free download.

Together with run time and starting and ending volumes I output my SAC in my Excel log.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom