Average depth calculation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy:
Is anyone calculating average depth in their heads? and using it on the tables?

i know that some divers who don't use tables or computers do this

it's sort of a mystery to me

since i'm so bad with math anyway, i'd probably screw it up

They might not use computers, but they are probably using tables. Whether they are OW standard issue or custom made for their gasses, that's a different story.

I would guess that those guys you are talking about are either diving fairly square profiles, or deep enough that coming up 30' isn't that big a change regarding the overall depth.

H2Andy:
i know that some divers who don't use tables or computers do this

it's sort of a mystery to me

since i'm so bad with math anyway, i'd probably screw it up

i write my depth down every 5 min on a small wrist slate and then i just look at those numbers to estimate the average - you can write your table down there too if you haven't memorized it. it's pretty simple after you'd done it a few times. the only problem is that with the wrist slate there is no room to comfortably fit a compass were one inclined to wear both a compass and a watch on the left forearm in addition to the wrist slate, but then again it's too troublesome for me to pull out the wetnotes from my thigh pocket every five min and i'm not yet able to keep track of the average without taking any notes on multilevel dives.

If you were to use your average depth with tables would you assume let's say that 100ft/20min + 50ft/20min = 75ft/40min?
How do you use average depth with tables?

It doesn't quite work like that, Dave... I suggest you do what I did and use a wheel or some dive planning software to try out lots of profiles and kinda figure it out. You start to get a feel for it.

nkw5:
I've recently realized I'm fascinated by numbers and statistics. I thought I could figure my SAC more accurately.
The Uwatec SmartCom will calculate SAC accurately based on your air consumption for the entire dive, since it's air integrated. The software that comes for free with the smartcom has this feature... all you have to manually enter for that is the tank size, and pressure rating for the tank (If you have an HP Steel 100. It is 100 cu ft @ 3443 psi).

Additionally... the SmartTrak software will display average depth for the entire dive, as well as the most data I've seen on any dive computer.

Not cheap though.

Uwatec Tec computer calculates average depth and it can be seen at any point during the dive. Comes in handy if you happen to cut the dive plan short for whatever reason....or extend it for whatever reason and need to adjust deco.

Karen

jonnythan:
It doesn't quite work like that, Dave... I suggest you do what I did and use a wheel or some dive planning software to try out lots of profiles and kinda figure it out. You start to get a feel for it.
That is what I do use (no not the wheel!!!!). I was just trying to figure out what value average depth informatio is in deco planning. None that I can see but you and others have suggested otherwise so I am hoping to learn something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom