Baby Shampoo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I learned about Baby Shampoo years ago and have used it since. I use hair conditioner on my dry suit seals. [don't use any with oil in it] So I guess I dive, wash my hair and condition it at the same time. Works for me. :D

I clean my mask a couple times a year with tooth paste to clean any residue.

Charles

I'm another firm advocate of J&J Baby Shampoo for defog. (Doc taught me the trick) I've used it exclusively on the same mask for 100+ dives, and the lense isn't yellow.

The night before a dive, I put a tiny drop on each lense and spread it around. Let it air-harden overnight. Quick rinse just before getting wet. Lasts all day, even when I'm doing multiple mask r&r per dive. If you think you may have used too much shampoo, then you have. Too much will cause your mask to slide around on your face a bit.

Mike

venturediver:
Hydrogen Peroxide works great for the post dive ear issues. Kinda tickles too.

True, but if there is a tiny hole in the ear drum, it can cause deafness. Never put peroxide in your ears.

Walter:
True, but if there is a tiny hole in the ear drum, it can cause deafness. Never put peroxide in your ears.

Where did you hear this? My mom used peroxide to clean our ears as a kid, I just found an article about Dr. Richard Simmons who believed you could fight cold and flu by taking peroxide through the ear canal in 1928.

I have never heard such a claim before, I would scream BS if it wasn't someone I knew to be knowledgeable. Please share where I could read more on this...

I found this where the warning states
Among the solutions are ordinary water, 10% sodium bicarbonate, 3% hydrogen peroxide, 2% acetic acid, and a combination of 0.5% aluminum acetate and .03% benzethonium chloride (Hawke, 2002). Hydrogen peroxide is present for the mechanical effect -- it does not dissolve ear wax (Burkhart et al, 2000). These preparations are best for those with small to moderate amounts of wax. Among oil-based organic solutions are olive oil, glycerin, propyline glycol, and others. Warming of solutions used for wax removal sometimes is helpful. According to Hawke, oil based preparations basically do nothing but lubricate (Hawke, 2002). Some preparations are enzyme based. We advise against use of "enzyme" based preparations, such as Cerumenex, because of problems with allergy. NONE OF THESE PREPARATIONS SHOULD BE USED IN PERSONS WHO HAVE A EARDRUM PERFORATION

Wow whoda thunk it?

CD_in_Chitown:
I can put my own talc in a stocking for way cheaper! And the d/s slips on just as well thank you.
My dry suit manual says to be careful not to use scented talc since the oils in the perfume may damage the seal. I’ve had very little luck finding unscented talc.

It's not baby shampoo - it's KRAKEN SPIT !!!

. . . and if you put it on the inside of the latex seals of your dry suit, your hands just pop right through !!!

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom