Back inflate BCD good for beginner ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You seemed to be going towards a BP/W but if you want a back-inflate BCD - here's one option: Stiletto BC
35lb. wing, doubles as travel gear, has trim pockets etc. 1000 denier fabric so it's pretty durable. Single tank only.

You can also get a Ranger with 44# of lift standard. Ranger They don't travel as well but I have hauled mine around in checked luggage.

If that's too much, Scubatoys sells a private model called the Brigade which has a 35lb. wing also with the heavier duty Ranger Jacket. Zeagle Brigade BCD discounts on sale Zeagle

The advantage to having the Ranger jacket is that you can dive doubles with it in the future - even big doubles if you change the wing. You have to pay extra for the rear trim pockets if desired with the Brigade - included with the Ranger. They're proprietary and not cheap but are ditch-able individually. Or you can add someone's generic pocket(s) to the tank strap.

If you're going to go with a back inflate I would just go with a Back Plate & Wing and forget about a hybrid.
If someone want's a jacket style because of the full wrap-around air cell feature and pockets fine, but to me the hybrid back inflates are wannabe BP/W (trying to get the best features of both and they miss the mark on either one).
Back inflation (BP/W) gives you much better control over your trim and since all the suspension is behind you and holding the tank level when you are cruising along your body pretty much hangs underneath in a stable flat position with the least amount of drag. Hybrids kind of do the same thing but the difference is BP/W are modular meaning you can change out different wings brands - sizes - styles, and they are extremely simple with very little to break, tear, become frayed, unstiched, etc. They are also infinitely customizable with sizing, d-ring placement, and other things. And, because they are simpler than hybrids they do have less fluff sticking out so in my opinion every little thing to reduce drag helps in something as thick as water.
I've heard deragatory arguments about "slipstream", "streamlining", "drag", and other terms. Some say there isn't a hill of beans of difference in drag between a heavily padded up jacket or hybrid back inflates and the much more simple configuration of a BP/W. But I and many others do believe there is a huge difference in drag between something as slick and clean as a BP/W and all the others. There isn't really any scientific evidence so far to argue either point (yet) but those that dive a lot and who have tried all the different products have come to their own conclusions.
You won't catch me in anything but a plate and sometimes a wing.
My opinion is if you are interested in back inflate then just go straight to the real thing and get a BP/W.

I went from a jacket BCD to a BP/wing as a DM, and suddenly I had some guests tell me I went too fast, which had never happened before. I had to consciously slow down again.

(Not when looking for critters I might add, as I'm extremely slow then either way, but on the shark/current dives)

You seemed to be going towards a BP/W but if you want a back-inflate BCD - here's one option: Stiletto BC
35lb. wing, doubles as travel gear, has trim pockets etc. 1000 denier fabric so it's pretty durable. Single tank only.

You can also get a Ranger with 44# of lift standard. Ranger They don't travel as well but I have hauled mine around in checked luggage.

If that's too much, Scubatoys sells a private model called the Brigade which has a 35lb. wing also with the heavier duty Ranger Jacket. Zeagle Brigade BCD discounts on sale Zeagle

The advantage to having the Ranger jacket is that you can dive doubles with it in the future - even big doubles if you change the wing. You have to pay extra for the rear trim pockets if desired with the Brigade - included with the Ranger. They're proprietary and not cheap but are ditch-able individually. Or you can add someone's generic pocket(s) to the tank strap.

Hi diversteeve, and thanks for the links they seem quite interesting these BCs. I have no problem using a Back Plate & Wind BUT I am too new to the diving thing and I have no idea where to find back plates and wings as well as how to pair them (I do not know which ones they fit together) and of course how to put the together at the end when I buy them. So that's why I am looking for a back inflate BC. However, I am open to BP/W if somehow I found out how to do the above ones. Also pealse note that I leave in the UK. Thanks, Socc.

If you're going to go with a back inflate I would just go with a Back Plate & Wing and forget about a hybrid.
If someone want's a jacket style because of the full wrap-around air cell feature and pockets fine, but to me the hybrid back inflates are wannabe BP/W (trying to get the best features of both and they miss the mark on either one).
Back inflation (BP/W) gives you much better control over your trim and since all the suspension is behind you and holding the tank level when you are cruising along your body pretty much hangs underneath in a stable flat position with the least amount of drag.
I've heard arguments about "slipstream", "streamlining", "drag", and other terms. Some say there isn't a hill of beans of difference in drag between a heavily padded up jacket or hybrid back inflates and the much more simple configuration of a BP/W, but I and many others do believe there is a huge difference in drag between something as slick and clean as a BP/W and all the others. You won't catch me in anything but a plate and sometimes a wing.
My opinion is if you are interested in back inflate then just go straight to the real thing and get a BP/W.

Hi Eric and thanks for your reply. Please see my reply to diversteve above regarding what you were saying. Thanks, socc.

I have a Zeagle Stiletto and think it serves the purpose just find for my warm water recreational diving. If the water is cold enough to warrant a dry suit, I'm gonna go somewhere else. I have no butt so a weight belt is pretty much useless to me and the zeagle rip cord system works great for me. The Stiletto has 2 tank straps and I have never had a tank come lose. I have no problems getting in trim and use minimal weight in a 3 or 5 ml wetsuit, even less if I just wear a skin and board shorts. Overall I would say the Stiletto was a good choice for me. YMMV If I was going to dive cold water and a dry suit I would look at a BP/W. I am however looking at a BP/W set up for when I use my double hose Kraken regulator.

Hi diversteeve, and thanks for the links they seem quite interesting these BCs. I have no problem using a Back Plate & Wind BUT I am too new to the diving thing and I have no idea where to find back plates and wings as well as how to pair them (I do not know which ones they fit together) and of course how to put the together at the end when I buy them. So that's why I am looking for a back inflate BC. However, I am open to BP/W if somehow I found out how to do the above ones. Also pealse note that I leave in the UK. Thanks, Socc.

Hi Eric and thanks for your reply. Please see my reply to diversteve above regarding what you were saying. Thanks, socc.

So how this works: I buy for example, Hollis Solo Harness and Hollis S38 LX Wing, and I put them together and thats it ? Do you have to buy something more than that ? Thanks, Socc

So how this works: I buy for example, Hollis Solo Harness and Hollis S38 LX Wing, and I put them together and thats it ? Do you have to buy something more than that ? Thanks, Socc

Seems a little pricey to me, you're going to have to add a Single Tank Adapter (STA) and cam-bands to that package. For fun and giggles, I priced one out through DRIS (Discount Scuba Gear - Dive Right in Scuba) and a 32 lb HOG wing, SS backplate came to US$392 (~£243) and if you find another $108 to spend with them, they say international shipping is free.
US$500 ~
£312

Vobster Quay - Online Shop

Pop down to Vobster in Somerset. You can hire out a single tank wing system for the day, see how you like it, and then buy one of you do. They can also help with setting it up

---------- Post added October 19th, 2014 at 05:04 PM ----------

Seems a little pricey to me, you're going to have to add a Single Tank Adapter (STA) and cam-bands to that package. For fun and giggles, I priced one out through DRIS (Discount Scuba Gear - Dive Right in Scuba) and a 32 lb HOG wing, SS backplate came to US$392 (~£243) and if you find another $108 to spend with them, they say international shipping is free.
US$500 ~
£312

Plus 20% import duty at least

Pop down to Vobster in Somerset. You can hire out a single tank wing system for the day, see how you like it, and then buy one of you do. They can also help with setting it up

Yeow, you folks pay a lot for dive gear. No wonder you lost the colonies. . .

And FWIW, US$500 + 20% = ~£375 Still looks like a bargain to me. . .

Hi river ! Thats exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks for your reply !

---------- Post added October 20th, 2014 at 12:15 AM ----------

US$500 ~
£312

Hi JohnN thanks for the info. I now understand what I should buy ! I

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom