Back Inflate vs BPW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2. I have a "cheaters" or "old guy" harness. I've got some shoulder issues that benefit from a chest strap pulling the two shoulder straps in a bit. And I like the padding my harness has. (In that respect, it's not a "typical" BP/W.)
I add padded shoulders to all of my harnesses. Just for comfort, not because I need them. You can get them on ebay for about $20/pair. You can added padded back-pads too.
4. The Ranger was wearing out.
I inherited a Zeagle Ranger from a friend who had used it for a very long time. I then used it for 2-3 years; it looked worn, but otherwise functional. When I went to BPW, it was definitely FAR more sturdy.
RIght now, I still use a light travel BCD because I had it pre BP/W. I'm not going to spend $$$ for an aluminum plate and separate harness (too lazy to re-rig every time) until that gives out.
You can often attach two backplates back-to-back like this (below). That way you could have your harness on the aluminum, plate, and then just bolt-on or remove the 2nd steel plate as needed.

(ignore the bungies and oversized wing, I buy a single-wing because I started sidemount very soon after)
20210627_171610.jpg

20210627_130617.jpg

20210627_153350.jpg

These are all actual problems and why no one’s using them for real tech diving. They aren’t features.
I 100% agree that they shouldn't be using them, but they are. I see it way too often. When you run a boat, you have to cater to everybody. It is crazy what you see.

Super easy to add but I never felt the need. Question..... do BP/W crotch straps have a composite buckle / connector?
You can certainly add or use them. A BPW harness is really just webbing and webbing-hardware, so however you want to customize or configure it is totally up to you.
I think that's subjective. My Ranger gives me the option of placing my total of 16lbs max of trim weight pockets near the top of my tank, near the bottom or anywhere in between. Basically same thing as a backplate.
It never noticed a problem using the ranger with weight-distribution or sturdiness, but switching to a backplate was a "oh, that's what I've been missing out on" experience. The BPW was far more sturdy and stable, especially when climbing ladders. To be fair, my Zeagle Ranger may have been 20+ years old, but I noticed a big difference after switching.
The only concern I see with your boat is that you’re towing it with a Chevy instead of a Toyota. A Tundra pulled the space shuttle. Tech people use Tundras or maybe Tacomas, or definitely Hilux. That’s a known fact.
Hah! As far as GM's go, I'll take a Corvette any day. Although I don't know a lot about the rest of their lineup in terms of durability or quality. Have you seen Wistlin Desil's torture test of the Hilux? That thing is an absolute beast when it comes to taking abuse.

I use a STA with mine to push the tank just a little further out so the first stage doesnt bang my head.
An STA works or placing the (top) cam band just at or under the curve.
A DIN valve rather than yoke has a flat profile, so there's nothing to bang your head.

None.... My two BC's provide everything that I need and I don't EVER need to make any adjustments or changes.. Just pack and go depending on if I'm diving drysuit in the PAC NW or tropical.. .
You don't have to make adjustments with a BP/W for different exposure protection. You can wear it the same whether you're in a swimsuit, wetsuit or drysuit. Set it to your thickest exposure protection and forget it.
If you configure the chest strap on your BP/W harness directly over your inflator you'd have the exact same problem that you are stating.
The types of BP/W's that many are using don't have chest straps - and don't need them. The entire front of the torso is unimpeded, yet the rig stays nicely in place.

Have you or anyone ever seen someone doing tech dives with a Zeagle Ranger?

I have I have me me me me me a beautifully solid setup, manifolded 100s and a slung 80 down to 97 metres

But I'm definitely not a tech diver, I'm a skindiver!

An STA works or placing the (top) cam band just at or under the curve.
A DIN valve rather than yoke has a flat profile, so there's nothing to bang your head.
I use DIN on all my first stages...I have a big head...LOL

I tried doing a little bit of research on Sea Snakes and Diving:

Based on the distance of the "bite marks" (assuming that's what caused the holes), that must have been a larger snake.

PS I know it's not really a krait but I told me wife I have immunity from snake bites lol.

I should have said the "entire front of my body" instead of "chest".

Well look at that photo of me. Band and small strap across... pretty much entire front of body yes?

Yeah...pretty much agree.... but my Ranger is all set and dialed in for drysuit diving.

LOL....... A Tacoma or Hilux would not be able to handle my boat without a lot of struggle...and almost certainly would not be able to stop it if quick braking was needed. A Tundra might work. My Chevy is a 2015 2500HD Duramax Turbo Diesel and is definitely the right tool for the job.

I think my Ford Ranger could handle it. 3.2l turbo diesel 470nm torque around 346 ft pounds.

FORD SECURITY 1.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom