Back to Diving - looking for a good book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Venture34

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I got my PADI certification in 1982 and I've probably had ~50 dives. I'm looking to get back to diving and I understand that things have changed a bit since 1982. Any recommendations on a good scuba reference book?

I did something similar. Certified in 1977, and took "fatherhood leave" from 1988 thru 2004. My first 11 years had about 100 dives. You can still make a perfectly safe dive using all the 1982 techniques, and some guys prefer it that way. The easy way to get re-oriented is to make some diving friends. You'll need buddies, anyway. I first went along with some guys to a spring, and did not dive, just to see what all the new stuff was. I was right back into it in a couple of weeks.

Anyway, living where you do, there's probably plenty of SCUBA information at the public library. One of the dive shops in your area may have a refresher course and a book to go with it.

BC's have improved. Computers are here, but many divers still prefer tables. Nitrox is the oxygen enriched air that can get us more bottom time. Let me assure you that diving has gotten easier rather than harder, and you can easily get going again.

Have fun with it.

The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving from PADI is fairly comprehensive and it's a reference for people going into professional training. There's information on the topics of concern including equipment, health and physiology and the science of diving.

The NOAA Diving Manual has a lot of great general info that is applicable to recreational, scientific and light working diving. Older versions are still good references but will have outdated info and sections on obsolete equipment that's not of interest outside of historical/vintage diving. You should be able to track a copy down from Amazon or, if you're lucky, a local bookstore.

The Navy Diving Manual is a decent reference and is available for free online. I have not read it, but I understand it has similar content to the NOAA manual but with the addition of some information about commercial-style diving. It was updated recently (within the last month, if I remember correctly).

Personally, I find GUE's Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving to be an excellent text. The standardized gear configuration and style of diving is not universally appreciated. It is available in print and PDF via GUE's website.

Certified Diver's Handbook by ScubaBoard member louisianadiver, might fill your need nicely.

In your part of Florida, a boat operator will ask when was your last dive. If over a year or two, they may want you to take a refresher course before going out. That's a safety and insurance rule. Jupiter Dive Center offers one and Splashdown Divers in Boynton probably does too.

The self-study books are all good ones, but by themselves may not get you on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom