Bad Dive Master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tollie:
I think we could all design bulletproof o/w classes and professional training classes but then no one would be able to take them as they would be too time consuming and costly relative to the return you obtain. I wonder were the GUE o/w class is?

Can't say as I disagee with you entirely, but taking that attitude to its logical end is exactly what a majority of OW classes are.....quick, cheap, easy.....producing unskilled bone-heads and it's not their fault either.

GUE OW is still the best OW class you'll never take I do believe...... :(

I was on a boat and a couple was going to do their open water and advanced water together!!! Slam bam thank you maam.

However in their defense, dive shops push this. I got my advanced in Thailand when I had my OW cert dives and 4 dives in Korea and then a few dives on the boat while doing the advanced course work. There are some who believe you should do the Advanced sooner than later. I am glad I did it because I think my bouyancy is much better, but I just need more dives!

A bit of a rant. sorry

mntdiver:
Huh? Blacked out from a rapid descent? New one on me...
Do a search on deep water blackout. It is not that uncommon.

Without going down the GUE route I think we could do a way better job of training students if we did two things.

1. Reduce ratios
2. Emphasize skills while maintaining solid trim and buoyancy.
IMO it’s the lack of comfort with skills… being confident that you can handle yourself in the water that is a real problem.

I always discourage any new diver from moving straight to DM.
OW, AOW, Rescue.. take them back to back if you must.
After Rescue I suggest they take some time to just dive.
Work on the skills they have learned. Get to know their gear.

BEFORE heading into DM training. Some listen and some don't.
I find the ones who dive alot before DMing are better DM's.

Experience is not something you can learn in a classroom or from someone else.
You only get it by doing.

Good skilled divers DIVE.. simple enough.

Tollie:
Without going down the GUE route I think we could do a way better job of training students if we did two things.

1. Reduce ratios
2. Emphasize skills while maintaining solid trim and buoyancy.
IMO it’s the lack of comfort with skills… being confident that you can handle yourself in the water that is a real problem.

Agreed brother.

Too bad we can't get that excellent idea up to the top brass to effect the required changes.

I also know when we're beat and fighting a battle we really can't win.

I'm dumb enough to keep trying though :D

No doubt, inexcusable actions for any diver let alone a diver who is suppose to be a dive pro. Plenty of blame to go around but the bulk of it belongs to the individual, the DM.

catherine96821:
Oh, and around here, we make fun of the Coast Guard and the stuff they do on an ongoing basis...sometimes they deserve it. More importantly, it is important to realize out there on the ocean that they probably are not going to "save you". In fact...we prefer to call the fire department believe it or not.

You sure your talking about the "US" Coast Guard? All kidding aside (knee deep Navy and all that) they do a ton or good with not much money. Around here they are excellent at doing a very tough job. It's very comforting to know we have an air station in town when you're out on the water a lot. One of our better tax dollar uses IMO.

catherine96821:
twenty? wow, that's nuts. how do you get to rescue with twenty dives?

I'll speak to this one, since it fits me pretty well. I have 24 logged dives so far, and I've completed SSI OW, PADI AOW, PADI Rescue, and PADI Nitrox (did Nitrox at the same time as AOW). I think it's pretty funny that people will make statements like the one above (I'm not picking on you specifically Catherine, I've heard this sentiment echoed before), yet lament how woefully inadequate basic OW is in the very next breath. What's wrong with looking at the entire string of OW, AOW, Rescue, as what basic OW should be. Yes, I only have 24 dives, but I have a heck of a lot more training and comfort in the water than if I had 24 dives with only OW training.

With that said, I wouldn't dream of entering a DM program with the skills I have today. It's one thing to seek out additional training for yourself, but another entirely to think you're ready to teach other people how to do things.

I would separate the not ready for DM crowd from the not ready for AOW, Rescue people. DMs are diving professionals, and should have the skills/experience to back it up. I was one of the 20/60 DMs... and you could tell. Luckily I got a mentor who taught me to become a dive professional, and got me through instructor. Was it a mistake to become a DM that early? Maybe, but with my buddy's help. I think I turned into a pretty decent instructor.

As far as the AOW/Rescue progression... the earlier the better, I just think the names for the course's are deceiving. Look at what you actually do in AOW; a navigation, night, "deep" and a couple of optional dives. Nothing really "advanced", just more experience diving with an instructor. As a former instructor/potential buddy, I would much rather dive with someone on their 10th dive who is an AOW than someone who was just diving after OW. As far as Rescue goes, if I remember correctly, (haven't taught the class in a while), most of the skills are on the surface. Again, the more experience with a dive professional, the better. These skills shouldn't be in the hands of only a few "elite" divers.

Now if you really want to get me going, tell me that I should be respecting a PADI Master Diver. While their skills should be a little higher than most, really all a PADI Master Diver is, is a person who spent a bunch of money on over priced specialties (What the heck is a Night Diver Specialty?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom