badvertising ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... if you want to know what's wrong with it, go to pretty much any popular reef in any tourist destination on the planet and look at the damage people cause. Maybe you don't mind ... because once you've seen it, who cares if you leave a trail of broken corals and gorgonians in your wake. After all, you had fun.

The problem isn't doing something like that in an area where you're not going to damage anything ... it's that it ingrains habits and attitudes that many divers then fall back on in places where they will damage things. The evidence can be seen in some of the most popular dive sites on the planet ... places that once were staggeringly beautiful and now aren't hardly worth diving anymore. The problem with diving publications promoting this behavior is that they give people the visual impression that that's just how you dive. And while it may seem harmless and fun for you, those places won't be nearly as much fun for the next generation of divers who might want to go there.

It's really sad that I actually have to explain that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The problem isn't doing something like that in an area where you're not going to damage anything ... it's that it ingrains habits and attitudes that many divers then fall back on in places where they will damage things. The evidence can be seen in some of the most popular dive sites on the planet ... places that once were staggeringly beautiful and now aren't hardly worth diving anymore. The problem with diving publications promoting this behavior is that they give people the visual impression that that's just how you dive. And while it may seem harmless and fun for you, those places won't be nearly as much fun for the next generation of divers who might want to go there.

To reinforce this with a recent example (and potentially open up a can of recurring scubaboard worms), a few weeks ago while guiding a group of divers across a reef I noticed a guy kneeling down on the coral clearing his mask. He was in a family group of four and it was clear that they did not have a great deal of experience. Further in to the dive the same thing happens except this time 2 of the group are kneeling on the reef so as I approach them gesturing them to get off the coral they have no idea what I'm trying to say and are to concerned with trying to communicate to me that their knees hurt (from the fire coral).

The result of the conversation back on board was that during their OW course they were taught to clear their mask while kneeling on the floor so when their mask flooded they set about clearing it and instinctively vented their bcds to get a firm fix on the floor.

The publication does show a bad habit being taught and I think it is surprising that they let it go to print.

In the second one I agree it's not a good idea to jump in holding hands as you point out. In the first, if you want to stand on a sandy bottom in open water I don't see anything wrong with that. I'm curious what bad thing happens when you do that?
you get smacked up side the head by a photographer for stirring up the silt and screwing up the viz....

In the spirit of my profession, I'm going to reverse course a bit and say that while I see the irony in showcasing these behaviors where and how these pictures do...neither one is a huge deal, either. I and others I know have entered the water by diving head-first off boat rails or roofs kitted up in doubles and even a deco tank or two: somehow, not holding the mask/reg in our face didn't cause any issues. In light of that, a cheesy "giant" stride entry whilst holding hands looks positively benign.

Similarly, walking on the bottom while trying to swim is silly, but standing rather than hovering horizontally...meh. And there's nothing wrong with taking a stroll underwater. There's a video somewhere of me with no fins, lots of extra lead on a belt, and a tank slung over my shoulder...strolling around the deck of our local wreck at 100'. Tons of fun, especially doing the high dive imitation off the bow and then strolling around the wreck on the bottom.

like this?

Walking the Duane Wreck in Key Largo - YouTube

[video=youtube_share;pLex8_yFXK4]http://youtu.be/pLex8_yFXK4?list=UU1utDku8vJRJYgBZImLyLJQ[/video]

OK I see now, standing next to an anchor in sand is really bad, and holding hands.. They could have just brought their hands up to their faces as they continued the entry?

The navigation picture really does look stupid, everyone knows you kneel on the bottom (never stand), otherwise the wetsuit manufacturers would not add knee pads to their suits.

the marketing idiots have taken over?

Taken over?

img_0137.png

21-pictures.jpg

I'm sorry to differ with you sir...

the-shining-end-image.jpg

overlookpic_large.jpg

But I'm afraid we're the caretakers here.

shining-movie-image-photograph-end-overlook-hotel-1921.jpeg

We've always been the caretakers here.

theshiningend1.jpg

I should know, sir. I've always been here.

Last edited:
Taken over?

the-shining-end-image.jpg

I'm sorry to differ with you sir...

overlookpic_large.jpg

But I'm afraid we're the caretakers here.

shining-movie-image-photograph-end-overlook-hotel-1921.jpeg

We've always been the caretakers here.

theshiningend1.jpg

Perhaps you need a good talking to?

If you don't mind me saying so, sir.

Jack Nicholson is a LOT older than I thought.....

Well, there is no shortage of similar ironies if we are honest. All diving agencies promote "don't hold your breath", but in almost every training still shot there is a striking absence of exhaust bubbles. Can't prove that all the models held their breath collectively for those stills, but I am just guessing.

The needs of the marketing people trump safety every time.

Well... The first picture of divers standing on the bottom is titled: "Getting there and back..." And, in smaller letters below: "The Old-fashioned Way." So without reading the article, it seems like they're implying the two divers are not using modern diving techniques and are being used as an example of how not to dive. As for the divers holding hands, most impressionable (entry-level) divers probably wouldn't even notice the improper technique. First time a new diver hits the water without holding their mask, they won't do it again. Problem solved...

What I hate are pictures with the dangles. They're everywhere. I've even one on a Scubaboard instructor's website! (I'll wait while all the instructors go check their sites...)

No one seems to be able to secure their second or SPG. What's up with that!

... it's not the way you want to teach someone how to navigate underwater ... because then what do you suppose they're going to do when walking on a sandy bottom isn't an option?... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sit on the sandy bottom. When you get tired of standing don't you sit down? :D

... I saw several people standing on the bottom at some of the reefs I visited in the Red Sea. The bottom was not sandy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom