badvertising ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hatul ... I don't know of any agency that promotes walking on the bottom ... if you want to go for a stroll, stay on shore.

I did a DM led dive in Cozumel with a group of instructors and DM's. I had the lowest cert in the group at MD. I witnessed the DM walking on the sandy bottom holding his fins in his hand. At first sight it was wierd. After walking for 30 feet he then sat down and put his fins on and joined our group.

If these magazines are truly interested in promoting "safe diving", they need to set better examples ...

Agreed. Especially Dive Training since it is geared to new divers.

Last edited:
I witnessed the DM walking on the sandy bottom holding his fins in his hand. At first sight it was wierd. After walking for 30 feet he then sat down and put his fins on and joined our group.
I've had buddies taking off their fins to walk on the bottom, just for the fun of it. Because diving is supposed to be fun, and if you can't goof off once in a while, what's the point? However, one of the reasons it was fun was that it's pretty freakin' difficult to become negative enough to be able to walk underwater if you're in the neighborhood of correctly weighted.

But standing on the bottom like that to take a compass bearing? Please, PLEASE tell me it's a Photoshop montage. And the DAN ad kinda scares me. I mean, I once regarded DAN as a competent organization...

Let me guess: in the first they're standing on the ground which is a no no by GUE? And in the second they're jumping in holding hands instead of hands on mask and reg?
The second one shows them walking on water, which is acceptable

Note to self never walk on the bottom with puritanical ScubaBoarders around...
41cc0cfd01d8aa9023af342e712e21fb.jpg

Hatul ... I don't know of any agency that promotes walking on the bottom ... if you want to go for a stroll, stay on shore.

And every agency trains its OW students to hold onto their mask and reg while giant striding off a boat. If you want to know why, try doing like the people in the picture sometime.

If these magazines are truly interested in promoting "safe diving", they need to set better examples ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In the second one I agree it's not a good idea to jump in holding hands as you point out. In the first, if you want to stand on a sandy bottom in open water I don't see anything wrong with that. I'm curious what bad thing happens when you do that?

(Grateful Diver)

There are a few agencies which promote walking on the bottom.

salvage-exercise.jpg

There are a few agencies which promote walking on the bottom.

View attachment 197843

... those aren't scuba divers ... they're underwater construction workers. Completely different topic ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added November 20th, 2014 at 12:27 PM ----------

In the second one I agree it's not a good idea to jump in holding hands as you point out. In the first, if you want to stand on a sandy bottom in open water I don't see anything wrong with that. I'm curious what bad thing happens when you do that?

... it's not the way you want to teach someone how to navigate underwater ... because then what do you suppose they're going to do when walking on a sandy bottom isn't an option?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

And every agency trains its OW students to hold onto their mask and reg while giant striding off a boat. If you want to know why, try doing like the people in the picture sometime.

In the spirit of my profession, I'm going to reverse course a bit and say that while I see the irony in showcasing these behaviors where and how these pictures do...neither one is a huge deal, either. I and others I know have entered the water by diving head-first off boat rails or roofs kitted up in doubles and even a deco tank or two: somehow, not holding the mask/reg in our face didn't cause any issues. In light of that, a cheesy "giant" stride entry whilst holding hands looks positively benign.

Similarly, walking on the bottom while trying to swim is silly, but standing rather than hovering horizontally...meh. And there's nothing wrong with taking a stroll underwater. There's a video somewhere of me with no fins, lots of extra lead on a belt, and a tank slung over my shoulder...strolling around the deck of our local wreck at 100'. Tons of fun, especially doing the high dive imitation off the bow and then strolling around the wreck on the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom