BC integrated octo's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"It will reduce a hose to streamline you."

...yeah, because reducing a single ROUND HOSE on your gear is going to streamline you. The diver having a drag co-efficient of a brick has nothing to do with their 45º angle in the water, or all the crap dangling off them....no, it's this, this one single round hose. Fix it and you'll be smooth as glass.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ClayJar:
My personal opinion, if I may mention it with all due respect, is that while there are certainly reasons a diver can choose to go with an inflator/octo, the whole "streamline yourself by eliminating a hose" approach is utter hogwash. Removing one narrow hose won't make a significant difference to your drag, and if anyone wants to rig up a tow-dummy to quantitatively show otherwise, I'll post a YouTube of myself eating this post (printed in non-toxic ink on organic paper, of course). :D
========================================

Couldn't agree with you more. The word "Streamlining" with respect to the BCD integrated octo devices is a marketing term used to add sizzle. On the other hand, eliminating a hose and second stage from your regulator set-up does simplify the overall configuration to some extent. But again ...you have to understand and accept the trade-offs.

I've used an integrated octo and, at my current experience level, decided that I would not want to have to use it in the stressful situation of an OOA experience . . .meaning having to breath out of it while also using it to release air/control my ascent while already in close proximity to my OOA buddy. It's a deviation from standard processes in a potential emergency situation. I don't really think it's a right/wrong type of answer . . .just my personal preference.

Perhaps because of the BC I use (Knight Hawk), but dumping air while using the AirII is not a problem for me. If vertical, just pull on the corrugated hose to vent, or use the vent on the right shoulder. If horizontal, I can use the lower back vent. Of course, if sharing air, I try to vent most of the air from my BC quickly as the OOA diver usually wants to make a beeline for the surface, and I'd prefer to be a bit negative.

merxlin:
Perhaps because of the BC I use (Knight Hawk), but dumping air while using the AirII is not a problem for me. If vertical, just pull on the corrugated hose to vent, or use the vent on the right shoulder. If horizontal, I can use the lower back vent. Of course, if sharing air, I try to vent most of the air from my BC quickly as the OOA diver usually wants to make a beeline for the surface, and I'd prefer to be a bit negative.

Good post.

Have a great August dive trip!

Suggest that divers practice specific skills at least during their safety stops. Alternate primary and back-up regulators, mask drills, manual inflation of BC, breathing air down to 500 psi to evaluate the minimum weight needed to stay at safety stop depth.

I have uncovered an interesting negative to the integrated octo. With an integrated octo you are forced to dive with your BC.

My wife and I am will be spending three weeks in Thailand and Cambodia this Christmas and will spend several days diving the Similans at the end of the trip. I would like to take along all of our equipment but Thailand Air has a less liberal luggage weight policy than US carriers. We are not staying in one location but have several stops on the trip. I would like to dive my regulator and air-integrated computer but rent the BC. Because I have an integrated octo this is not an option. I either need to lug along our BC or purchase an octo for the trip.

[FONT=&quot]Other than this issue I very much like the integrated octo.[/FONT]

hutterw:
I have uncovered an interesting negative to the integrated octo. With an integrated octo you are forced to dive with your BC.
A couple of models yes but for the majority just don't plug it in. Having a BC or not isn't an issue.

Gary D.:wink:

I dive one and I am comfortable sharing air etc... I can see the positives of either. Pretty much a personal decision.

ClayJar:
The first thing I realized was that given the standard octo hose length, in order to breathe from her alternate while swimming side by side, I had to flip it upside-down in my mouth (which wasn't very comfortable) or swim along directly above her (which would impede communication precisely at a time when it is most important). My alternate isn't the standard second-stage shape, so that wasn't a problem with mine (although, admittedly, it's no sweet breather).

What *really* surprised both of us, however, was how little length a standard octo hose provides. We successfully made the circuits, but it was neither simple nor very comfortable. The thought of trying the same thing with the common primary second-stage hose length was downright laughable. If one of us were hugging the other (or the other's cylinder, as the case may be), perhaps we *might* be able to make some sort of headway, but it would be immensely more difficult.--
I use an Atomic SS1, and love it (it breathes as well as my Atomic B2 primary at >100ft depth).

The point Clay makes above, is well taken. Since a main difference in S-drills (or real OOA scenarios) between integrated and standard octos, is that you keep the integrated, and pass the primary to your buddy, a 4ft. primary hose resolves the issue (or 5ft. if you're a glutton for hose routing skills).

I do the skills practice, and while I've never been involved in real world sharing situation, I've found no issues at all in sharing, adjusting buoyancy and ascent control, during the drills, with the SS1 integrated. (Of course, I'd never consider it for technical or overhead environment dives).

hutterw:
[FONT=&quot]Other than this issue I very much like the integrated octo.[/FONT]

So why cant you rent a BC. I have use other BC's than my own and just pluged in the LP inflator hose just like any other. Just that mine has a Reg attached to it. I guess maybe some BC's have a longer inflator LP inflator? Just curious as to what I would have to look out for if I want to rent a BC somewhere.

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom