BC integrated octo's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skdvr:
So why cant you rent a BC. I have use other BC's than my own and just pluged in the LP inflator hose just like any other. Just that mine has a Reg attached to it. I guess maybe some BC's have a longer inflator LP inflator? Just curious as to what I would have to look out for if I want to rent a BC somewhere.

Phil
If you just plug in the LP hose, all you have is a power inflator, and no alternate air source. You'd have to remove the rental BC's inflator, and attach your integrated octo, as well as plugging in the LP hose. This assumes that your integrated octo will fit the rental's corrugated hose, and you have your zip ties, and whatever else you need to secure the integrated's adaptor.

If you do alot of traveling with your regs (and no BC), it's easier just to keep a spare standard octo on an LP hose, for that purpose (imho).

I had a near OOA situation coupled with some additional crap, after which the following conclusions were met by my buddy and me (there were more, but these matter for the sake of this thread):

- long hose makes perfect sense (both of us switched to 7' primary) should the need arise
- bungied octo also makes sense, easy and stress free switch/donate process
- don't weight yourself for ideal situations, look for a tad negative, just for those OOA/strong currents/troubled sea situations where it's an imperative to keep a safety stop

The whole integrated octo/inflator thing doesn't seem look like something I'd like to use in such situations (sharing air, holding on to each other, barely managing a safety stop due to conditions in the sea, no line to hold on to, etc) and try to control my buoyancy at the same time handling elevated stress level.

I can see how it may seem practical and everything, but I prefer a normal breathing octo with it's own hose, and may the gods of streamlining have mercy on us all... :wink:

BKP:
If you just plug in the LP hose, all you have is a power inflator, and no alternate air source. You'd have to remove the rental BC's inflator, and attach your integrated octo, as well as plugging in the LP hose. This assumes that your integrated octo will fit the rental's corrugated hose, and you have your zip ties, and whatever else you need to secure the integrated's adaptor.

If you do alot of traveling with your regs (and no BC), it's easier just to keep a spare standard octo on an LP hose, for that purpose (imho).

It depends on the type of octo+ you have.
There are 2 different types. Some are known
as "inline" octos and some are what can be called
"fully integrated" octo inflators.

If you have one of the "fully integrated" octo inflators
like an SS1, Zeagle Octo-Z, or Sherwood Gemini,
then you can't easily rent a BC because the octo inflator
attaches directly to the BC's corrugated hose.
In order to use a rental BC without modifyng the BC,
you would not only need an octo but a way to connect
the octo+ LP hose to the rental BC's LP QD on the inflator.
(They are not the same). So you would also need a
QD adapter or another standard LP inflator hose.

On the other hand if you have in "inline" octo, such as the
XS scuba inline octo, Sherwood shadow+, Genesis sidekick,
then no modifications, alterations, or extra components are
needed to connect it to any BC. It simply plugs right in
to the standard LP QD on the inflator.

--- bill

bperrybap:
On the other hand if you have in "inline" octo, such as the
XS scuba inline octo, Sherwood shadow+, Genesis sidekick,
then no modifications, alterations, or extra components are
needed to connect it to any BC. It simply plugs right in
to the standard LP QD on the inflator.

--- bill
I appreciate the info.

Only having used the Zeagle and SS1, I'm not familiar with the inlines. Do they relinquish the power inflate function to the existing inflator and just serve as an alternate, or do they take over the inflate/deflate function as well?

DSCN1000.JPG

Thalassamania:
Interesting... an "end-of-line" octo...

Btw... congrats on the imminent move to Hawaii... You have *no* idea how I envy you...

BKP:
Interesting... an "end-of-line" octo...

Btw... congrats on the imminent move to Hawaii... You have *no* idea how I envy you...
Now, if the house would just sell.:(

Forgive my ignorance on the subject. It never donned on me that you donate your reg. to the person in trouble and use your octo. on your BC. I guess that's why I didn't get the need for it (and why it seemed a little dangerous).

"Huh mr. obvious, I never made the connection. Your a lifesaver!"

Please no Duh comments to follow!

I have a Seaquest balance with an octo inflator. I am new and just getting used to using my equipment. I have made the mistake of inflating my bc instead of deflating my bc during an assent. I ended up flying to the surface. Some of the octo inflators seem to have buttons that can cause confusion. I have started to use the right dump valve on my bc to deflate, rather than the octo.

I am not sure if others have this problem, but using the dump valve has really worked well for me.

Blake

I'm diving a Seaquest Balance BC with the Air 2 on it. (Aqualung not Scuba pro?)

The most important part is to make sure your dive buddy knows your equipment!

Doing NAUI open water, we do rescues from above and below water.

I did my checkout dives solo so I was issued a dive buddy upon arrival.
When we were first setting up our gear I did what my class instructor said, I went over and checked my dive buddies gear before helping put it on him. I even confirmed his rental OCTO was working. Why... because as my dive buddy... that OCTO was MINE...lol

I asked if he wanted to look at my gear... Evidently his instructor didn't advise him the same. The "fill in" instructor (or was mine actually the fill in?) said we didn't need to bother with the gear checks. Ok was my responce but I'm diving an integrated air, back flaod BC... Having experimented with BOTH in my pool training I felt it was pretty significant.

Well when it came to the surface rescue portions of the class... I was face down in the water and he couldn't roll me. He had inflated my BC fully... which ment he was not going to get me on top of the air bladder. After a few minutes I lifted my head and wispered "Its a back float BC... let some of the air out." To which I was told by the instructor to "Shut up, your uncounsious..."

Then when we were doing the under water rescue he would get me to the surface but over inflated the BC again... so i just relaxed in the 80 deg water as he tugged at my BC.

When it came time to do the share air... I did a quick swap from the Air 2 and held out the primary to him. I grabbed his BC and pulled him in as he cleared the primary and after a breif exchange of hand signals up we went.

After getting to the surface the assistant instructor tells me... "Hey, You don't give them your primary you give them your Octo." I replied... "Integrated air... NO OCTO."

As far as MY use of the Octo... I do like to decent using the pull dump on the hose not the button. The up side is i don't need to undo the velcro keeper to get the air a path vertical and just tug the head of the air source instead. The nice large valve on the shoulder opens and I don't even need to kick up or squeeze the air bladder to decend.

The other bonus is the people that think its funny to sneak up and steal air... can't find and octo to steal from. When I found a guy trying to locate it on a later dive I pulled out my primary and smiled some bubble at him. Granted then i had to clear my mask... After the dive he came up to me on the boat and complimented me on my gear.

So I'd have to say that both pro and con is people not being farmiliar with new gear designs.

I'd say less drag is an added feature... that thin little hose does have a fair about of drag, so does the octo head and the hanger for it. Its one less hose to get tangled or caught on something. One less peice of equipment to be dragging along the coral damaging the reef. One less peice of equipment to maintain and purchase.

The breathing is fine, its not as easy as my Oceanic primary, so it can feel a little restrictive when I first breath from it. The does help keep it from free flowing though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom