BC integrated octo's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Air On:
I'd say less drag is an added feature... that thin little hose does have a fair about of drag, so does the octo head and the hanger for it.
If you're going to insist on saying that, I'm going to insist on challenging you about it. :biggrin: If you can get a crash dummy, I'll put together a constant-force tow rig and meet you to actually run the numbers for real. How about somewhere around west Texas? (If we can't get the dummy, we could use a diver, provided they could relax and *not* *kick* -- it's harder than you'd think. :D)

I don't have the software or the processors to run a CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) simulation on it, so let's just go out and do a real-world test. Nothing like MythBusters, with their *very* poor experimental design. Let's so some *real* experimental analysis. I'm willing to put in the time and effort to put this to rest. I *quite* anticipate that the results will show how minuscule the difference truly is, but as a scientist and engineering grad, if the numbers show that I am mistaken, I'll be more than happy to have been proven wrong, as it will have added data to the sum of human knowledge (not to mention, to my own).

If you don't want to assist me in testing the incremental induced drag of standard octo vs. inflator/octo, I merely ask you that you refrain from making assertions regarding that drag. Feel free to state opinions, but don't claim facts -- "I think", "I feel", "as I see it", and the like aren't "weasel words"; they're how to let the readers know what you believe when you don't have actual data to directly support it. (That way we don't start even more old divers' tales.) I have nothing against inflator/octos, and I have openly accepted various reasons for using them. Unsubstantiated pseudo-scientific claims, on the other hand, excite me -- I am not "upset" when they are made, but I cannot in good conscience allow them to stand unchallenged. :biggrin:
Air On:
Its one less hose to get tangled or caught on something.
Those divers facing the most inherent danger from getting their gear caught are wreck divers and cave divers, wouldn't you agree? They're also the divers least likely to use integrated inflator/octos. On the other hand, they use bungeed backups, which are, in principle, rather similar. Both are on a short for-my-use-only hose. They use those long hoses, however, which strongly implies that hose length does not necessarily equate with entanglement and entrapment.

Of course, there are also the bad divers who find a way to get caught on things...
Air On:
One less peice of equipment to be dragging along the coral damaging the reef.
And there the bad divers are again. I hope they practice with their inflator/octos enough that they don't hurt themselves, since things like manual inflation can be more complicated (as was demonstrated to me by several struggling students last weekend). It's really not "harder", but then again, how hard is stowing your octo? (If you make the point one way, you must accept it the other, eh?)QUOTE=Air On]One less peice of equipment to maintain and purchase.[/QUOTE]In terms of number of second stages (two) and number of inflators (one), they're identical, just in a different package. In terms of initial purchase, you have to buy the inflator/octo, just like you'd have to buy a regular octo -- if you buy it with the BC, they just keep the standard inflator. In terms of initial purchase with the deals AquaLung and others have been having, you can get an inflator/octo free with a new BC, but you can get a standard octo free with a new reg. Looks pretty much like a wash there, too. :D

Anyway, if I've said it once, I've said it dozens of times. I have nothing against inflator/octos. If it makes you happy to dive one, by all means, use it! We're not commercial divers (generally speaking, at least); we don't dive because it's a job -- we dive to have fun. It's perfectly reasonable (and perhaps even desirable) to choose to dive a configuration "because I want to."

The *only* time I'll pipe up is when the discussion moves onto reasons to do or not to something. "Because" is fair, and I'll accept it without justification. However, if reasons are suggested, I will support and dispute them based on what I know and in as humble and non-confrontational an attitude as possible (civility and respect are far too often omitted, as evidenced by even some ScubaBoarders). I've had my opinions and beliefs challenged many times, and I've grown to be a better diver and resource because of it. There's nothing wrong with being wrong, and of course there's nothing permanent about being right.

Well, whatever. :D (And lest you take the fact that I only replied to the parts I challenged as being a sign that I'm a belligerent jerk who's as full of himself as some of our most unpleasant fellows, it means nothing of the sort! I found your post quite interesting and enlightening regarding how you use and view your gear config (which is at points similar to mine and at points quite disparate from it), and I *loved* the stories and identified with being in a different-than-theirs gear config. I think you whispered a bit later than I, but I was about to become a "rescue victim" -- he was about to drown me! I only replied at length to the parts I did as they were the parts about which I had comments to raise.)

Air On:
One less peice of equipment to maintain and purchase.

The air-integrated inflator octo is no different than a regulator in that it requires inspection and service.

ClayJar:
I don't have the software or the processors to run a CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) simulation on it

I do. But it's not worth running.

Yes, a hose will create more drag than a non-hose. But its contribution to the whole system will be in the noise (as you've suggested).

[edit] fixed my "its"[/edit]

Air On:
I'd say less drag is an added feature... that thin little hose does have a fair about of drag, so does the octo head and the hanger for it. Its one less hose to get tangled or caught on something. One less peice of equipment to be dragging along the coral damaging the reef. One less peice of equipment to maintain and purchase.

Not everybody dives with their octos and consoles flailing around, nor does everybody keep their octo where they are supposed to, at least according to BC manufacturers. And, I'd be willing to bet your BC creates far more drag then any hose you might add/substract from your setup. :)

My console is clipped to my left hip D ring, my octo is hanging securely around my neck. Nothing is hanging free or dragging along.

I do hope you got it for free as that would truly mean one less piece to purchase, and if you have no plans to maintain it, do make sure you never have to donate your primary...

BKP:
If you just plug in the LP hose, all you have is a power inflator, and no alternate air source. You'd have to remove the rental BC's inflator, and attach your integrated octo, as well as plugging in the LP hose. This assumes that your integrated octo will fit the rental's corrugated hose, and you have your zip ties, and whatever else you need to secure the integrated's adaptor.

If you do alot of traveling with your regs (and no BC), it's easier just to keep a spare standard octo on an LP hose, for that purpose (imho).

OK, I guess I did not realize that there were two different types of regs. Mine is an in-line Sherwood Shadow so I can just plug my LP hose into any other Power Inflator. I did not realize that some where actually a part of the power inflator.

Phil

Frankly I'm not interested in setting up a dummy and testing the drag issue.
I had 2 pool dives in one day, one with the Octo, one with the Integrated.
They both had the same type of rental BC.

I had the Octo on first and when I changed to try the integrated, it did FEEL like less drag. Who cares though, YOU have to push it through the water on your rig, not me.

It also relates to what FINs your using... I'm using IST Jets and love them. They (along with my trim and drag) seemed to make for a pretty fast low effort motion, I think I was kicking about half as much as my class mates and the dive instructors with their neon colored split fins (that should get some comments). I'd kick and glide while they fluttered away. I practiced frog kicking for a while and I'd glide past them and wait a few breaths then kick again.

Liek I've stated, i tried a bunch of differnt BCs and equipment before I purchased anything and I've very happy with my gear. (Well there is one issue with the Suunto Cobra II, I'll save that for another post.)

I always made certain my Octo AND/OR console were clipped in and fairly streamline and never hung loose. Even in my short diving experience I've found myself fixing other divers gear on divers underwater to keep the Octos and consoles from dragging.

My comments on less to purchase and maintain... It was included with my BC along with a little knife. When it comes to maint charges though, its part of the BC not a separtate item like a power inflator AND and Octo, so I'd think there would be some savings there. Guess we'll see when I go in for service in 9 months.

All I can speak for is my limited experience and my reasonings. But Perspecive and personal preference are ruling factors when it comes to YOUR dive gear. I can only speak for myself.

The real point of my post, was that no matter what YOUR preferences and opinions are, your dive buddy better have at least operational knowledge of your gear... YOUR life could depend on it.

I use an Oceanic Air XS, and do like not having the extra octo hanging off a hose on my right side, due to the fact I run with a pony & reg that takes the place of my regular octo location, otherwise, I would have 2 regs in the same area. I am running with a pony, so Im a little bit different from the norm in this conversation.

I have Scuba Pro Air II and while I do like the streamline I agree with some comments uptop. An out of air diver in many cases will approach very quickly without notice from a blind spot to reach for it. With the power inflator so close to the source along with the relatively short hose, it can present a serious matter....especially while you are working control the anxious diver and swap over to primary.
I've since attached a long octopus which I bungee to my cylinder.
Air II's can be very dangerous when an OOA diver has no time to alert you and approaches from the rear.

Air On:
I had the Octo on first and when I changed to try the integrated, it did FEEL like less drag. Who cares though, YOU have to push it through the water on your rig, not me.

Oh yeah, those of us with 'non streamlined setups' are just killing ourselves with all the pushing...Hell, I don't even manage to dive from all the pushing I do.

I am sure that what you felt different was the thickness of your wallet, and that is known to cause less drag. :wink:

Air On:
F
I had the Octo on first and when I changed to try the integrated, it did FEEL like less drag.

You can feel the drag of a hose? That's amazing. Hell, I can add tanks to my gear and don't feel any more resistance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom