Best diving in Cayman Islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kdufour

Registered
Reaction score
My family and I are planning a trip December 23-30 to do quite a bit of diving and are seriously considering the Cayman Islands. We are looking for suggestions as to where are the best places to dive, best companies to dive with, and places to stay.

We are a group of 5 divers (ages 17+), with a moderate amount of dive experience. We have been to Cozumel several times and LOVED it, but are looking to go elsewhere for variety. (We have also been diving in Belize and the Bahamas.)

How important are topside activities?

My wife and I have been to Grand Cayman a number of times and have dove with three different operators. Our favorite, and the one we keep returning to over and over is Cobalt Coast Resort and Divetech.

Cobalt Coast is a good ways from Georgetown -- although, not nearly as far away as the East End. If you're part of the party-hardy set, you're much better off at Sunset House. But, if you're coming here for magnificent diving, and a lot of it, you can't do much better than Cobalt.

The hotel itself is very nice. Most of the rooms are suites -- very neat, very clean, with refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. The restaurant is also very good with a great variety ranging from burgers and fries to local seafood to Indian curries. There is an excellent breakfast buffet in the mornings. If you opt for the meal plan -- which, after our first stay, my wife and I have done -- you'll be able to select an appetiser, soup or salad, entre and dessert. We rarely had room for dessert. Price wise, while it may seem expensive at $60 per person per day, we found we were spending at least that much at local restaurants.

Now for the diving. It's excellent! If the seas are calm, you'll get to go to the North Wall. There are some spectacular dives there like Ghost Mountain, Tarpon Alley and Hepps Wall and Hepps Pipeline. If the seas are rough, you'll be transported to nearby West Bay for diving on the West Wall. Our favorite West Wall sites are Trinity Caves, Victoria's Secret, Orange Canyon and Chain Reef.

Divetech operates two boats from Cobalt Coast. Both are roomy, and we've never felt cramped or packed. Three DMs accompany each boat, one staying on board while two are in the water, one leading and one trailing. The dive briefings are very good, with well-drawn maps and good descriptions of what you'll see. We found that the DMs are very professional and very fun. They'll give you just as much help and assistance as you want. And, they'll also give you plenty of freedom. Often, my wife and I went our own way on the dives.

That's the two-tank morning dive.

In the afternoon, evening and night you can do all the shore diving you like. With the dive packages, it's unlimited. There are two excellent shore locations. One, right at Cobalt Coast. The other is at nearby Lighthouse Point where Divetech has another shop. When Cobalt Coast is too windy and the sea is rough, Lighthouse Point is more protected and it's usually very easy to get in and out. The staff will ferry you to and from Lighthouse Point, usually right when you're ready to go.

The daytime and nighttime shore dives are great for critter watching. I've seen turtles on nearly every dive at both locations. There are also squid, octopi, green and spotted morays, drums, snappers, parrotfish, angelfish of all varieties, trunkfish, cowfish -- plenty to keep you watching.

Enjoy your trip!

If diving is your primary focus then I'd go to either Little Cayman or Cayman Brac. Little Cayman is hard to beat for diving. I'd suggest staying at the Little Cayman Beach Resort or the Brac Reef Beach Resort on Cayman Brac.

We're headed to the Brac Reef Beach Resort this Saturday for a week. It will be our first trip back since the hurricane messed things up in 2008. I'll post a trip report when I get back.

Choosing any one of the Caymans? There is much to do on GC. There is little to do on Little Cayman, and there are a few thing to do on the Brac. If diving is your focus and you want the best then choose Little Cayman. If excellent diving as well as things to do is your focus, choose Grand Cayman. If you want quiet with a few things to do such as : travel to the Bluff, see the view from the lighthouse, visit a small museum, look at local handmade jewelry, visit a local grocery store, explore caves that are on the south side of the island, chip off some Camanite for yourself, watch the sun go down over Little Cayman, have some excellent diving...the Brac might be for you.
I've been to all three numerous times, I was never sorry to be on any of the three.
The diving is excellent on all three with Little Cayman edging out the other two. One of the reasons the diving is nice, is that off Little Cayman the wall starts in 20ft to 40ft. and plunges to never never land, there is much to see with little current, the fish life is excellent, you'll see a shark if you keep your eyes open. There are plenty of colorful sponges although you might have to take a flashlight to see the red sponge as after 20ft red looks black.
File0102.jpg

Is price an issue?

(yeah, I know, everyone else is giving answers, I'm just asking questions).

Just came back from a week on Grand Cayman; stayed at Sunset House and dove with Sunset Divers. Having dove in Cozumel and a number of other Caribbean locations I can say that this was my best experience yet. The resort is small and friendly with a great staff, a bar that has a lot of local flair, your an easy wall to town for a night out, and the dive operation was excellent. The boats left on time in the morning, were well stocked with tanks, drinking water, rinse tanks for camera gear, nitox always delivered on time and boats not overcrowded. Dive conditions were perfect for the week and out of ten boat dives we only did one site twice by our request. The diving on the reef in front of the resort is also quite good especially if you throw in some night dives and are a photographer.
I can't comment on the other two islands but for a first trip to the Cayman's these folks are great. Something to consider is sea state. I believe the wind is generally from the north east which puts the west side of Grand Cayman in perfect conditions most of the time.

Also just got back from Sunset House last Wednesday. Our family of four divers did have a great time and enjoyed all the diving, staff, etc. My only complaint was the expense. I'm not a total cheapskate here, the room/dive package was a great deal and a real deal breakfast was included (of course my kids won't eat breakfast) but every meal was $150-200. CI ($1.00CI=$1.25US). Yoshi Sushi on Seven Mile Beach was worth the $200.CI. Also, when the cruise ships are in town, watch out, up to five at a time!!! I'd still go back I think. DON'T MISS STINGRAY CITY!!

Is price an issue?

(yeah, I know, everyone else is giving answers, I'm just asking questions).

I think its a good question. Afterall, the price of diveboats continue to go up (fuel, etc); Reef Divers (Brac Reef) is now $90/day for walk-ins, before tip or Nitrox, so a group of five divers is easily $500/day just for the diving-day part of their vacation expenses.

Another factor is if they're looking for convenience of a "walk to the boat" semi-all-inclusive, or if they would consider renting a house and cooking some of their own meals in order to economize (OP did say 5 divers)...which then needs a rental car and also needs to be financially compared to package deals that resorts may be offering. And as richierich33 points out below, the cost of meals isn't cheap in the Caymans, and this will probably be particularly the case for someone who is comparing it to Mexico...

...and groceries aren't necessarily cheap either: the Brac is worse than Grand in this regards, which was driven home for me again this year when I noticed that the price for a 1 Liter bottle of Listerine mouthwash was CI$7.50, which is almost US$10.

-hh

Back
Top Bottom