Best diving in Cayman Islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also just got back from Sunset House last Wednesday. Our family of four divers did have a great time and enjoyed all the diving, staff, etc. My only complaint was the expense. I'm not a total cheapskate here, the room/dive package was a great deal and a real deal breakfast was included (of course my kids won't eat breakfast) but every meal was $150-200. CI ($1.00CI=$1.25US).

That's one of the problems my wife and I had with Sunset House, and why we much prefer Cobalt Coast. By the time you add in the cost of the rental car, gas and meals at restaurants and/or the cost of local groceries for lunches, $60 US per person per day for breakfast, lunch and dinner is really very reasonable.

Another issue is cruise ships. Since Sunset House is so close to Georgetown, you have to contend with literally thousands of tourists. They also interfer with some of the closer dive sites. The worst was a "submarine" -- two people inside a bubble, like an early model helicopter, driven by a diver on the outside. We were diving with a group from Sunset on a shallow reef near town when it showed up and forced us and the fish to scatter out of its way. Then, the driver/diver proceeded to bash the machine into the reef, so the tourists could get closer to the fish, making a mess of the coral.

I don't mean to say that Sunset House is a place to avoid. It has a lot going for it, especially the bar. I just mean to say that IMHO, Cobalt Coast has so much more.

The expense part of the equation in the Cayman Islands is why I like the all-inclusive nature of the Sister Islands resorts so much. I don't have to worrya bout the cost of a rental car, I don't have to choose where to eat based on how much I feel like spending that night, etc. I can know going into the week exactly what my package with all meals will cost, how much I plan to tip the dive staff, etc. I don't have to worry about the daily sticker shock of spending a small fortune on a meal. The last thing I want to do when I am trying to relax on vacation is to worry several times a day about what a meal or extra dive is going to cost me.

I know some people are the opposite and can't relax if they don't think the are getting the best possible deal or lowest price for something; but for me, I like to make peace with what we are spending before I leave on the trip and then never worry about money for the rest of the vacation even if it means that maybe I spend a few dollars extra for the all-inclusive convenience.

Just got back last night and had a blast, wish I did more diving. As others, if this is dive dive dive and no other pleasure head east or other islands. I have non diving family who loved the Westin (on a discount rate)(I'd be very disappointed to have paid rack rate) If it's mostly diving with vacation amenities stick around SMB. Look up Jim (and Kevin)at Seasports. No driving he picks you up on the beach. 6 person boat, (you would be in charge) in the down time he will fill you in on where to go and what to do. If you're whole group is diving every day there is no need to pay for the beach. Stay at Sunset suites which has a great restaurant a great vibe and is steps from the beach (where Seasports will pick you up. Sunset house is a divers resort but for my taste is too close to downtown (cruise traffic)and could retrict your diving activities.
Although Jim will take care of your gear with white gloves. You should schlep it yourself after some morning dives and head to the turtle farm reef. This is a shore dive from the Cracked Conch restaurant and bar. I could do that dive every day. (afternoon sun is best on the wall) (it's also the best place for a shore night dive). I'm already looking up rates for my next trip.

Or you could go to VRBO and find a nice condo on SMB for the same price as sunshine suites.
Here's our spot we rented last year
Image533.jpg

If you aren't planning on staying with a dive hotel, let me suggest the following:
Grand Cayman Beach Suites. In the middle of seven mile beach. You can walk to everything!
Living the Dream Divers. They are an awesome dive operator. See trip advisor for references.

The worst was a "submarine" -- two people inside a bubble, like an early model helicopter, driven by a diver on the outside.

There is also a HUGE sub that fills up with cruise ship goers. They drop down around Sunset House to cruise the reef. The sub has two large surface support boats that lead/follow. The sub dropped in on one of our night dives and completely made a muck. It has a dozen or more lights on it blazing at full tilt. In fact, it was so bright that we turned our lights off. The lights and the drone of the electric motors on the sub pretty much all but frightened away the critters within a 100 meters.

On a side note, I won't be going back to Sunset House.

I also just got back from Grand Cayman and after reading some posts here that said ALL diving is great on Grand Cayman. Since my wife doesn't dive I decided to stay on SMB and just do west side diving for convenience.

After a couple days diving on the west side I really wasn't impressed. It wasn't the Cayman diving I've read and heard about: the vertical walls, steep drop offs, advanced sites, macro life, healthy reef, eagle rays, etc... The west side wall is gradual, a lot of the reef is in poor shape, most of the divers were beginners/cruise ship divers, average to slightly below average Caribbean diving, and overall nothing really unique to warrant the premium for the Cayman Islands.

I switched dive ops mid-week and did a dive on the North Wall - that is the diving that I've been reading about: vertical walls, steep drop offs, a bunch of eagle rays, much, much healthier reef.

I haven't experienced the East End on GC or any of the sister islands but just wanted to say, for me, the diving on the west side wasn't that interesting and the North Wall, in comparison, was way better (to me).

I also just got back from Grand Cayman and after reading some posts here that said ALL diving is great on Grand Cayman. Since my wife doesn't dive I decided to stay on SMB and just do west side diving for convenience.

After a couple days diving on the west side I really wasn't impressed. It wasn't the Cayman diving I've read and heard about: the vertical walls, steep drop offs, advanced sites, macro life, healthy reef, eagle rays, etc... The west side wall is gradual, a lot of the reef is in poor shape, most of the divers were beginners/cruise ship divers, average to slightly below average Caribbean diving, and overall nothing really unique to warrant the premium for the Cayman Islands.

I switched dive ops mid-week and did a dive on the North Wall - that is the diving that I've been reading about: vertical walls, steep drop offs, a bunch of eagle rays, much, much healthier reef.

I haven't experienced the East End on GC or any of the sister islands but just wanted to say, for me, the diving on the west side wasn't that interesting and the North Wall, in comparison, was way better (to me).

Yep, that's about right, although I knew that answer years ago. The North side is one of my favorites when on GC. Next time you decide to go to the Cayman Islands, try the Brac or Little and you'll never regret it...did I say, you'll never regret it? You'll never regret it!

Be warned that the weather in the Caymans in December can be iffy. We dove LC last December. In December they can experience cold fronts from the north. The weather was improving when we went but the boats did not get out to Bloody Bay for the previous two days due to heavy seas and wind.

Back
Top Bottom