Big Mahalo and Living Aloha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yea, but I am sure you deserve it. maybe you should learn to shaka...although nothing is worse than Californians fresh off the plane, throwing the shaka around.

catherine96821:
And if you live here long enough, you, too, will lose any skill you once had to operate a vehicle.

It's called survival of the fittest.

catherine96821:
maybe you should learn to shaka...although nothing is worse than Californians fresh off the plane, throwing the shaka around.

No no no no! No throwing shakas around in traffic. It's always the big local guy in a huge jacked up truck, forcing his way into your lane - then throwing the shaka sign out the window afterwards. I already have anger management issues on the road - that particular move usually sends me over the edge and into a steady and creative stream of f-bombs.

hahaha. yup. you pun.

You would laugh, my son begged us to ride in the back of the Pick-up. It was Christmas and we had just loaded the tree and the dog was in the back. He asked and I said absolutely not (just like every time he has ever asked) and my daughter said "MOM, -its christmas and we are not getting on the freeway, its two miles to home, ALL HIS LIFE he has wanted to ride in the back of a truck. So..I thought about it and said Oh, okay. So, we are driving home and we look in the back and he is sitting there giving every car the shaka looking like it was the happiest day in his life!

(Later my X-husband said Oh, I saw a kid that looked just like Michael but I know it was not him, cause he was in the BACK OF A TRUCK.)

you wouldn't f-bomb a chubby little happy haole kid would you?

catherine96821:
you wouldn't f-bomb a chubby little happy haole kid would you?

Not unless you cut me off in traffic. :D

Actually, it's not the general use of the shaka - but the use of it in the aforementioned manner - which is in complete opposition to the meaning of the signal. It's like they think it's all ok, as long as they flash the "hey we're buddies, this is ok, right" shaka sign. Grrrr.

I had to laugh at your son's fixation with riding in the back of the truck. I know several people who have always secretly longed to do just that.

And I know dozens that have died doing it...
"Actually, it's not the general use of the shaka - but the use of it in the aforementioned manner - which is in complete opposition to the meaning of the signal. It's like they think it's all ok, as long as they flash the "hey we're buddies, this is ok, right" shaka sign. Grrrr."
Kind of like saying "god bless his sole after badmouthing someone. " George is a POS but he has good intentions, GBHS"

catherine96821:
yea, but I am sure you deserve it. maybe you should learn to shaka...although nothing is worse than Californians fresh off the plane, throwing the shaka around.

OK, now lets not get personal with us Californians :az:

he he...okay. But ya'll CAN drive.

So chepar...how do the long timers here think of mainland drivers? See, I used to "cut every one off" but where I came from it was your OBLIGATION to get in there if there was any way you could. But now, I have settled down, cause I could tell it wasn't going over well. So, now, I have my LA driving and my Honolulu driving.

catherine96821:
So chepar...how do the long timers here think of mainland drivers? See, I used to "cut every one off" but where I came from it was your OBLIGATION to get in there if there was any way you could. But now, I have settled down, cause I could tell it wasn't going over well. So, now, I have my LA driving and my Honolulu driving.

A lot of local people think mainland drivers are too aggressive - but then again, a lot of local drivers can't drive. We have too many cars on the road and too many drivers that drive like they're the only ones on the road. The problem with a lot of local drivers is that they don't know how to merge, freak out at freeway onramps (I had some idjit come to a COMPLETE STOP at an onramp the other day) and don't know that if tutu is going to cruise at 40 mph on the freeway, they should get the heck out of the far left lane. And don't get me started about 1) Mr./Ms. Aloha that absolutely HAS to let everybody and their dog cut in front of them or 2) the people that want to make a left hand turn at an intersection, but don't turn on their blinkers until AFTER the light turns green and they've got everybody lined up behind them.

Actually, I still drive like I'm living on the mainland, so I guess by general local standards, I'm a rather aggressive driver. But I'm not completely crazy like some of those people that come flying down the highway from the west side . . . and yes, in their jacked up trucks, flashing the shaka sign as they cut you off.

I still remember moving to Maui and it seemed as though no one drove the speed limit. And no one cared ... except visitors. We all just enjoyed the scenery, no hurry to get anywhere...definitely not that way any more... partly because we've got too many cars for the number of roads now, and partly because we've had so many mainlanders move there that the culture has shifted away from island life to a more mainland feel. Which I don't mind people moving here... it is odd when they complain that things are different and proceed to change them. If you don't like it, move back where you do like it then! sry - my rant for the day :wink:

chepar:
the people that want to make a left hand turn at an intersection, but don't turn on their blinkers until AFTER the light turns green and they've got everybody lined up behind them.

that one just flames me! :light:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom