BP/W Delimma

Which setup (in no particular order)?

• Halcyon backplate, harness, and Pioneer wing.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Deep Sea Supply backplate, harness, and wing.

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • DSS backplate, harness, and Halcyon Pioneer wing.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DSS backplate and Halcyon harness and Pioneer wing.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other setup.

Votes: 36 51.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hammerhead for price and construction w/sta. SS for cold water. Oxychec signature 45 wing for singles. Hog harness. Best prices from...Wing (Scuba Toys) Plate direct form Hammerhead..Webbing and d-rings from (diveriteexpress). Not a bad setup. Make sure you know what size inflator hose before you order.

You'll like the Pioneer wing. I have an Oxycheq Signature wing that I really like.

rainman_02:
After much reading and thinking, I have decided on getting a BP/W setup. I've included voting options for my thoughts...I'd like your opinions and a short blurb why you chose what you did.

Thanks!

I voted for the Halcyon Pioneer system, but I would have preferred to vote for the Eclipse system if it had been an option.

I tried out the Pioneer and the Eclipse wings in the pool before my purchase. The Pioneer just didn't feel solid enough. The Eclipse, with the STA, made for a much tighter system. The Eclipse also offers a double wall construction, but I don't think that's really much of a selling point. For me, it was the STA. When it comes to a harness and plate, I don't really see much difference there among most of the ones I've looked at. The wing is where it's at.

I purchased mine as a complete kit because it was my first bp/w, and I wanted the expertise of the guys at my LDS. Now that I've been diving on it for a year, I could easily see piecemealing the rig, but for a first time kit, a complete system is my recommendation.

Hope my (inexperienced) opinion helps.

I have a Hammerhead plate/STA, Oxycheq SS wing and a DR transplate harness, which I like. Why did I choose thses? Mostly because of positive reviews on this site and a couple of other opinions.

I have the Oxycheq 45# wing, and I bought my BP from a ScubaBoard member who makes them, Fred T. It's the only one I've dived so I can't compare, but I am happy with it.

I'm pretty sure that you cannot combine a DSS plate with a Pioneer wing without using an STA (which I did not want) because the cam band slots in the wing do not match up with the slots in the plate.

I wanted to use this combo and ended up with a Pioneer wing because the donut wing was important to me.

I would have liked to have been able to use the DSS plate.

Hammerhead SS plate w/ heavy STA & Hog harness (direct)
Oxychec SS 45# (Samish Divers)

Why:
Hammerhead - excellent reviews, low cost, lots of adjustability
Oxychec SS wing - Indestructible and owner-repairable. Low profile.

Just assembled two nights ago. I donned it in the living room. My not-yet-a-diver wife looked up from her reading and said "Well that makes a whole lot more sense." (referring to my old vest-bc setup). :Kissy:

-Ben

I bought the Hammerhead Stainless, and the Hammerhead Aluminum. Great quality at a killer price. Outstanding attachement points and adjustability.Good finish and 316 stainless it dosen't get better than that. Their customer service was outstanding and the owner Ed Graefe was extremely helpful and responsive.
I previoulsy had a Fred T plate and Halcyon pioneer but traded it for an electric guitar. Now I have a Hammerhead and Dive Rite Wing. I like this rig a lot more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom