BP/W Delimma

Which setup (in no particular order)?

• Halcyon backplate, harness, and Pioneer wing.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Deep Sea Supply backplate, harness, and wing.

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • DSS backplate, harness, and Halcyon Pioneer wing.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DSS backplate and Halcyon harness and Pioneer wing.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other setup.

Votes: 36 51.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tobin, consider this....If I was manufacturing a backplate and wing, I would try and provide some dealers with units to put into their rental inventory. Renting a backplate and wing from a LDS in pretty much unheard of around SoCal. Most of my friends get their experience by borrowing from friends...then they end up purchasing whatever brand it is. Just this month alone 4 dive buddies have purchase either DiveRite or Halcyon products. Not because they are better products, its all they have been exposed to, and a few are getting keyman deals.

I want to get my wife into a backplate/wing this weekend and I MIGHT be able to rent a unit from Hollywood Divers (Bill puts one into rental). If not, I'm going to borrow from friends. I think this is a great opportunity for a manufacture to gain exposure if the LDS want to start carrying product.

I see Ocean Adventures has a few units of yours on the floor. I would give Steve a couple to rent if it was me. Something to think about.

hermosadive:
Tobin, consider this....If I was manufacturing a backplate and wing, I would try and provide some dealers with units to put into their rental inventory. Renting a backplate and wing from a LDS in pretty much unheard of around SoCal. Most of my friends get their experience by borrowing from friends...then they end up purchasing whatever brand it is. Just this month alone 4 dive buddies have purchase either DiveRite or Halcyon products. Not because they are better products, its all they have been exposed to, and a few are getting keyman deals.

I want to get my wife into a backplate/wing this weekend and I MIGHT be able to rent a unit from Hollywood Divers (Bill puts one into rental). If not, I'm going to borrow from friends. I think this is a great opportunity for a manufacture to gain exposure if the LDS want to start carrying product.

I see Ocean Adventures has a few units of yours on the floor. I would give Steve a couple to rent if it was me. Something to think about.

Not a bad idea, but in general I need the Dive shop to "own" the gear. Freebies often aren't well cared for. Ocean Adventures is currently offering BOW instruction, starting in a BP&W. Pretty cool.

Thanks for the input.

Tobin

rainman_02:
After much reading and thinking, I have decided on getting a BP/W setup. I've included voting options for my thoughts...I'd like your opinions and a short blurb why you chose what you did.

Thanks!
After having dealt with a basic BC for 4 years I finally purchased a BP/W setup. I dive in New England in mostly cold saltwater and was not happy with the "wraparound" squeeze effect I was getting freom my Seaquest BC. After alot of feed back from this forum I worked up the nerve to spend the $$$ for a BP/W. I found an Abyss steel backplate at Virginia Scuba for a stupid cheap price....since Abyss was out of business it was on clearance. But as far as I am concerned its merely a piece of steel with some webbing, so the less I paid the better. That was back in January.....I finally got my wings....Diverite Teks....last week and I dove with them on Sunday...MAN...I like them lol.
The long and the short of it. If you are like me and prefer the minimalist approach....go for a nice set of wings...you won't be sorry.

rainman_02:
Speaking of Tobin...

I took in all the input and opinions, compared to what I'd read and seen, and I decided to go with his 30# SS BP/W with Hog. harness package deal. It should arrive tomorrow, and I can't wait to check it out. Sadly, I will not be able to dive with it until the second week of August. That whole diving/flying thing, you know. :wink:

Good choice ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

[edit: removed duplicate post]

Congrats! Next time you come up let me take a peek at it too please :)

I'm diving Rubicon on July 31st - if you'd like to join us then let me know.

~Merlin

keelhaul123:
The long and the short of it. If you are like me and prefer the minimalist approach....go for a nice set of wings...you won't be sorry.

1577657993.jpg

I couldn't resist. :D

The wings picture is very funny. I now have to clean Pepsi off my monitor.

Merlin, I'd love to dive with you that weekend, but I'll be in Qatar. However, I plan on being up at Tahoe for 27-28 August, my LDS (shameless plug: It's All About Scuba)is having an Altitude and Dry Suit class up there. They say anyone is welcome to dive with the class at no cost if they're not taking the class. Or maybe I could dive with you after the class.

By the way, it's a small world. Chris at my LDS knows Rich at Adventure.

I dive almost exclusively (except for pool work) twin 100's and twin 120's.
for the last 7 years I've dove zeagle ranger and the last 2 years a ranger LTD.

On the Jersey wreck dive boats I go on (about 10 trips so far this year) the divers mostly all dive doubles 90%+... They mostly all dive back inflate 90%+ and the BC's are an even split generally between Zeagle's and a mix of dive rites and OMS.

as an aside, It was funny the last dive i was on we loaded up the boat early nobody was focused on what anyone else was doing and we realized when we were done loading this particular 6 pack. The 3 divers on the starboard side all had zeagles and the 3 on the port all had OMS or dive rite.

Any way back on topic... because of pier pressure, and to see what all the fuss was about I purchased an OMS BP&W setup, twin bladders, SSplate etc...

I found it to be no more stable than my Zeagle and a lot less comfortable.

So I sent it back and I continue to dive my zeagle, it manages my typical configuration of doubles and staged nitrox bottles with ease, comfort and stability.

Back
Top Bottom