BP/W Delimma

Which setup (in no particular order)?

• Halcyon backplate, harness, and Pioneer wing.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Deep Sea Supply backplate, harness, and wing.

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • DSS backplate, harness, and Halcyon Pioneer wing.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DSS backplate and Halcyon harness and Pioneer wing.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other setup.

Votes: 36 51.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quaff King:
I bought the Hammerhead Stainless, and the Hammerhead Aluminum. Great quality at a killer price. Outstanding attachement points and adjustability.Good finish and 316 stainless it dosen't get better than that. Their customer service was outstanding and the owner Ed Graefe was extremely helpful and responsive.
I previoulsy had a Fred T plate and Halcyon pioneer but traded it for an electric guitar. Now I have a Hammerhead and Dive Rite Wing. I like this rig a lot more.

I agree, both Al/SS are best for the money and both pieces are ROCK solid. They are not made better than this.

Hammerhead Backplate and Oxycheq or dive rite wing.
Only one reason: Value! Best Bang for the Buck!

I use a custom made SS plate and custom harness w/ Dive Rite Trek wing.

I have a Halcyon (40# Eclipse) setup and one I put together with an Oxycheq Signature series wing(30#), Zeagle backplate, Halcyon harness and tank straps, and a homemade STA. The Oxycheq wing is very well built. Halcyon products are finely engineered as well, but I have had three problems with the Halcyon wing. First, the LP inflator developed a leak at the quick connect. Removed/inspected/reassembled corrected the problem. Second, some glue from the assembly process became wedged in the rear dump valve; cleaned/inspected. Third, the rear dump valve stuck open during a dive. Again, removal/inspection/reassembly (@20') corrected the problem. No definitive cause found. Now with my homebrew setup, I have yet to encounter any problems. And the Oxycheq wing performs flawlessly. However, with less lift, it is my light duty BC. The Halcyon products are nice, and the pocket on the back for a lift bag really comes in handy, but don't be afraid to build a "Frankenwing" as the results can be very pleasing.

DR for me, but I like the Hammerhead plate. the fact that the plate is angled at the bottom must be way more comfy if you ar diving with little protection.

ShakaZulu:
DR for me, but I like the Hammerhead plate. the fact that the plate is angled at the bottom must be way more comfy if you ar diving with little protection.

Shaka,

I miss the supermodel avatars. This one's a little toothy for my taste.

On the subject of plates. Plates with the "extra" corner bends along the bottom reduce the tendency to dig into your kidneys when wearing a single. They do however create a new problem when you mount doubles. The bend lower corners become the high point for each tank in the doubles, effectively creating a pinch point on the wing.

Think about a plate without the extra bends. If you lay a tank down each side the plate the tank lays flat against the plate from top to bottom. With a wing in between the tank traps the wing from top to bottom of the plate.

Now bend the lower edge up. This is the pinch point I'm talking about, i.e. wing is caught between the tank and the edge of the plate. Pretty small area, pretty high loads, not good for wing life.

A plate can be comfortable without these extra lower corner bends, if the overall angle of the plate is flatter, and the corners are more rounded.

Regards,

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Shaka,

A plate can be comfortable without these extra lower corner bends, if the overall angle of the plate is flatter, and the corners are more rounded.

Regards,
Tobin

Changed my mind, now like the DSS plate, as a result of above post..........the gods of SB didn't approve. No more ladies, I miss them too.

Speaking of Tobin...

I took in all the input and opinions, compared to what I'd read and seen, and I decided to go with his 30# SS BP/W with Hog. harness package deal. It should arrive tomorrow, and I can't wait to check it out. Sadly, I will not be able to dive with it until the second week of August. That whole diving/flying thing, you know. :wink:

rainman_02:
Speaking of Tobin...

I took in all the input and opinions, compared to what I'd read and seen, and I decided to go with his 30# SS BP/W with Hog. harness package deal. It should arrive tomorrow, and I can't wait to check it out. Sadly, I will not be able to dive with it until the second week of August. That whole diving/flying thing, you know. :wink:

Thanks Rainman, I appreciate the business.

Let me know how you like it.

Regards,

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom