Buying First Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spotm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all,

I'm just looking in to buying my first set of regulators. So far I only dive the local cold waters in BC, Canada. I do plan on going tropical one day though. So I know that I need a good cold water regulator that breathes well.
I've been looking at the Atomic line and have liked everything I've heard about those regulators. The Z2 is the only one in my price range however. I've heard tons of great stuff about these regulators but are they classified as a cold water regulator? The write up does not specify for cold water, but does say that they can be environmentally sealed..
I've also been looking at the Genesis GS2000, would this be a good buy for me?
Or would I be better off with something like the Sherwood Blizzard?

Why don't you check out the HOG regs. I have 6 1st stages and 6 2nd stages and they are amazing. I have 2 of their cold water first stages that would probably fit your needs perfectly. Check them out you can usually find them online for about $100 per 2nd stage and a little more than $100 for the cold water 1st stages.

Apeks DS-4 + XTX50 that should serve you long long long time, no need to think about "up-grading" in 10yrs time or even longer.
I am using DS-4 + TX50 over last 13yrs(rec and tek) and has no intention to replace them.

I used to dive in Vancouver BC for a year with my non cold water regs, Oceanic Delta 2 and PX2 first stage, without any problems. May be I was lucky as the water temp stayed pretty cold, 30 - 40 F. Any major brands you buy would be ok. Just make sure you get a chance to try them out because an atomic for one person may not be for another. Many things come down to features/size/look that suit your personality. Genesis regs are identical to Oceanic's with different names. At least the older regs were and I believe the GS2000 is actually a Delta 2nd stage as in Oceanic (not 100% sure but I think it's).

Last edited:
+1 on Apeks DS4's

Do you want something that ACTUALLY WILL WORK in Truly Cold water?

Zeagle

Nuf Said

Do you want something that ACTUALLY WILL WORK in Truly Cold water?

Zeagle flat head 7 reg

Nuf Said

i own two of them and ive dove 30-40 water never had a freeze up. and i am quite the air hog. my sac is so high, i dive 120 when everyone else is on an 80

I have dove in 33-35 degree f with a Mares Abyss and am a little bit of an air hog with absolutely no problems. Surface air temp was 8 f.

Meet some local divers. They will be the best guide on this... I like apex, Zeagle, and from SP the MK2, MK25, and MK15. But with regards to cold diving the SP regs I feel need a little more attention.

Pro-tip: get them serviced locally. The person in the local shop will set set up regs for your environment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom