Can you "borrow" the crewpack for PADI OW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's how we recieved them in Thailand. We split the packs and put the pic envelopes into separate strorage. Maybe it only happens in SE Asia...or was an arrangement by the local supplier of PADI materials.

Here in Phillipines, I order PADI 'lite' packs and get pic credits for my online certifications...

The change in the requirement for handing in KR's is relatively recent. Our own LDS stayed with the hand-it-in policy for a while. We photocopied the completed KR's for the record file because we thought the student should retain the actual KR's for later reference. It is possible that the requirement for handing it in belongs to the LDS itself rather than PADI.

KR's take up a lot of room in a Student Record FIle (SRF), and the shop must keep them for years. I imagine that the SRF storage area in our shop would have several fewer 4 drawer files if there had never been a requirement to keep them.

I'm so glad this topic is here. I've had endless discussions with the greedy instructor at my lds about the KR's.

I've done certifications in the south pacific where I just borrowed the books while taking the course, write on photocopied KR's, and later get the books from padi after certification. at one of the dive ops they did the "pic" online and took a digital photo. how bout that for forrest saving? :)

My lds here says it's the "american copyright law" that says we have to tear apart our books and hand in KR's which sucks. but now I can prove him wrong! :D

On another part of the Board, there's been mentioned about some LDS in SE Asia that sell the manuals then buy them back after the course so that they can reuse the manuals to undercut the competition. So much for the personal copy for future reference.
I buy my manuals from several different wholesalers, some come with PICs some don't, if I need a PIC I buy one, nobody cares. Referral students that turn up without their PIC or an e-learning student that wants a hard copy. There is no control.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom