Cancun Cozumel connections

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

samsask

New
Reaction score
Hello! I'm looking for advice as to travel from Cozumel to Cancun. We are leaving the island January 1st, and thought flying to Cancun to catch our flight home might be quicker than taking the ferry and the bus to Cancun. I've read the info posted in the departures, but have questions regarding the process at Cozumel airport, and then Cancun. Here are some details. Our flight home leaves Cancun at 1:30pm. Our choice of departure from Cozumel is either 7am or 11am, as the 9am flight to full. We are looking at using Mayair for the flight. Do we go through customs at Cozumel or Cancun? Which flight time would be best? How much time should we allow? Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I used to talk the 1100 Mayair to make a 1240 Airtran. Mayair drives you to the correct terminal and all. I would always tell them In September I was checking in 56 minutes before my airtran flight because Mayair was running behind and Airtran gave me grief. That might have been too close. Last trip we took the 1100 Mayair for the 215 Airtran and had time to partake at the grease in Bubba Gump and shop in duty free after Mayair was 20-30 minutes late taking off.

Live at little, go with the 1100.

I've never done the Cancun-Cozumel connection thru Mayair - always done the Ferry-Bus Bag Drag when I flew into Cancun. BUT my understanding from other posts (and the Mayair website, a long time ago) is that Mayair is VERY limited in terms of baggage allowance - like limited to carry-on only??? I could be wrong, maybe things have changed, but if I were you I'd make certain that Mayair will carry all the luggage you've got before giving up on the Ferry-bus route.

I've never done the Cancun-Cozumel connection thru Mayair - always done the Ferry-Bus Bag Drag when I flew into Cancun. BUT my understanding from other posts (and the Mayair website, a long time ago) is that Mayair is VERY limited in terms of baggage allowance - like limited to carry-on only??? I could be wrong, maybe things have changed, but if I were you I'd make certain that Mayair will carry all the luggage you've got before giving up on the Ferry-bus route.

It is true they are sometime a little tight on baggage, but I think it only about weight, not number so much. We never run into the problem as we only take Mayair home and with checked carryons and carrying on a personal item. However it is Mexico. I negotiate a price on chat and don't pay 'retail.' Also a friend of mine was getting jumped for too much luggage and was asked to pay an large extra fee per the standard fare. He negotiated and got a deal on it. It started with "heck, no! give me my money back and I will take the ferry" and worked its way to something agreeable. For us they always aggregrate the luggage. 44 pounds, times the number of people = the allowable weight for ALL of our luggage, so that can help. Here is their posted rules:

ARTICLE 15 – BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE AND EXCESS CHARGES

Each passenger with a paid electronic ticket will be entitled to transportation, without additional charge, of his/her baggage according to the following criteria:

• Free baggage allowance per passenger is a piece of up to 44 pounds. "The Passenger" must pay $3 USD + tax per each additional pound in excess.
  • For the acceptance of musical instruments, fragile items, electronics, computers, scuba diving equipment or any other equipment which exceeds the allowed weight, "The Passenger" must pay the excess fee per additional kilo mentioned above.
  • Children transported as infants without a charge are not entitled to free baggage allowance.
  • Some articles may be considered as a substitute for a piece of luggage, or until completion of the established weight limit, can be documented as baggage without additional charge, including but not limited to:
    1. 1.- A sleeping bag.
    2. 2.- A hiking, marine or military-style backpack.
    3. 3.- A golf bag containing clubs, balls and one pair of golf shoes.
    4. 4.- A pair of water skis.
    5. 5.- A fishing kit (fishing rod and fishing box) properly packed.
    6. 6.- Any appliance or assistive device of a disabled passenger.
    7. 7.- Any other equipment not mentioned in this list should be considered as extra and may not be included in the free baggage allowance.
  • The above list may be amended at any time and without prior notice.
  • The cost of transporting a bicycle is $50 USD + taxes (one way)

Based on those rules, I think it would be cheaper for me to paint a face on my dive bag and buy it a ticket. That way I could aggregate my 44 pound limit with the limit for my good friend Senor DiveBag, and have enough to cover (barely) my two carry-ons. Maybe I ought to stop bringing my own weights to Cozumel, huh?

The one time I did this trip, I got charged for extra weight coming and going, but from Cancun to Cozumel, they gave me a break on the weight. There weren't many on the plane, and I think I got charged $20 extra dollars. I didn't negotiate at all.

From Cozumel to Cancun I got charged, and they went "by the book", and I think I paid $42 or $44 extra. I didn't try to negotiate it. The plane wasn't full, but there were twice as many on the plane as when I came from Cancun.

I found the whole thing to be very slick and easy and when I compared the 15 minutes it took, to the 4 plus hours it would have taken by bus/ferry, I didn't mind paying. YMMV.

As someone mentioned, better safe than sorry, but personally, I'd take the 11am. From my one experience, it would be plenty of time. The two times I've flown out of Cancun it has seemed to me that the check-in process goes very quickly.

-Blair

Would you go through security in only Coz and bypass security in Cun, I have been through security only once in Cun and the line was very very long.
My recollection is that I went through both. They land in Cancun a ways away from the main terminals and a driver takes you to them. You enter the main terminal in Cancun through the main entrance where presumably you could pick up no end of guns, knives, and bottled water.

Would you go through security in only Coz and bypass security in Cun, I have been through security only once in Cun and the line was very very long.

It has been my experience the last several times, there is NO ONE else going through security in Coz when we were boarding Mayair. And none of that 2 hours before the flight crap applies. They usually don't even check people in until 30 minutes before the flight.

Cancun is hit and miss. Usually busy, but not bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom