Carry-on luggage charged extra?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis:
I have heard of some divers wearing their BC onto the plane stang...:D

Back in the late 60s early 70s it wasn't so easy to get weights for diving and I used to take my own weight belt everywhere. I just wore it when travelling. Of course this was before metal detectors came into use. :wink:
I'll never forget the first time I went through a metal detector with 10kg of lead. The indicators were instruments with needle pointers, not LEDs like nowadays and it just about bent the needles, they hit full scale so fast.

Just reminiscing but it really surprised me just how much hardware people used to carry on to planes before metal detectors and security searches came into common use.
I'll never forget one particular flight out of Gran Canaria when they announced there would be a security search (a rarity) and this was followed by the sound of a lot of metal objects hitting the floor among the passengers.
When I looked back at where the line had been, the floor was covered with knives of all types, knuckledusters, pieces of pipe and other odd bits of metal. There were even what looked like a couple of small firearms.

Alcina,
while it it true that TSA rules allow an extra bag of photographic equipment in their rules, it is totally subject to the individual airlines whether or not THEY will allow it. I have not flown one yet that allows the third bag. DANG!!

Also, that would, probably, only apply to US flights as TSA does not regulate other country's flights.

But what if I'm told at the airport that my carry-on bag must be checked in?
In other words, I've met the 40 lb/22-inch limits, but there is no room in the overhead storage, or some other "not my fault" reason. Will I be fighting a battle that, no, I did not intend to bring two check-in bags... no, I should not pay extra... yes, this is part of my terms of carriage....
Boy, I hate it when I'm right! My daughter went with some friends to New Jersey this summer and she was loaded down with a big purse, cargo pants, whatever she could use for food, toiletries and other in-flight needs. I guess she'll be leaving the Jell-O at home!
It's a weak gripe in the scheme of things, but driving 26 hours to Florida sounds better all the time.

Trisha:
Boy, I hate it when I'm right! My daughter went with some friends to New Jersey this summer and she was loaded down with a big purse, cargo pants, whatever she could use for food, toiletries and other in-flight needs. I guess she'll be leaving the Jell-O at home!
It's a weak gripe in the scheme of things, but driving 26 hours to Florida sounds better all the time.

There goes the in-flight jello wrestling.

:huh:

Jcsgt:
Probably easier to get away with if you're in an area where there's a lot of dive activity. Around my parts, though, my guess is most airline folks would have no clue as to what a BC is and would be very suspicious of it.

When it comes to TSA personnel NOT recognizing scuba gear, I've had more problems at (believe it or not) Honolulu International than anywhere else I've travelled with scuba gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom