Carry-on luggage charged extra?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis:
I have heard of some divers wearing their BC onto the plane stang...:D

That would be funny to see.:lol:

The guy took it off just like a regular jacket and it went through the X-Ray machine. They did hand check it though...:D

Diver Dennis:
The guy took it off just like a regular jacket and it went through the X-Ray machine. They did hand check it though...:D

That is classic!

Diver Dennis:
Probably easier to get away with if you're in an area where there's a lot of dive activity. Around my parts, though, my guess is most airline folks would have no clue as to what a BC is and would be very suspicious of it.

catherine96821:
me too! wow...I feel like I found a soulmate. Insurance, and just trust the universe!
Alcina, I feel I am just as likely to leave a bag in the bathroom at the airport as the airline is to lose it forever. I have begun to put the Pelican in a large cheap duffle, I like that idea.

Speaking of large cheap duffel, we had a heck of a time finding one the night before we left FL. I wanted to just find a big duffel and then put my dive bag into it. I ended up in a Target, and we could not find anything large, durable, and inexpensive. Heck we could not even find anything large, poorly made, and inexpensive. We ended up with medium sized, poorly made, cheap zippers, and paying more than I thought it was worth.

So anyone find a good duffel that is sturdy, large, and inexpensive (like under $50, or better yet in the $30 range.)?

I've seen some nice dive duffels, but they generally tend have dive gear logo's all over them, so I'm looking for plain Jane that screams the person who owns this could not possibly afford Levi's much less expensive camera equipment! :D

I bought a huge green one in WalMart a few years ago and it is still going strong. I saw the same ones last month when I was back. Definitely under $50...I think maybe $29?

Another place to look is at gun shows. They have some excellent, really really tough bags. And their prices are generally a lot cheaper than most stores. As an aside, also check out the gun area in your local sports stores for hard cases. I have three or four dosgokils and none cost me more than $50 but they are virtually indestructible.

I bought a huge rolling duffel at Costco, about three years ago. It's still going strong. It cost about $30-$40.

Ron, sporting goods chain stores.

I know, we looked at Target and got stuck too.

You want the HUGE ones for a pelican and the one made for hockey gear is good.

Before my next trip, I need to get a suitcase for my gear, what I used last time was heavy empty, and with my dive gear, it was 49 lbs! (boy I was sweating that out!)

I did, however, buy a very cool camera/reg bag from Scubatoys, that is big enough to hold my regs (in their bag) my dive computer and my camera equipment, (along with my walkman and a book/magazines) and is compact enough to either fit in the overheads or under the seat, while the rolling carry-one I use can get gate checked! (which it usually does anyway, and it's a pain to pull out my book, and walkman while trying to get on the plane!)

Thanks for the links!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom