Carry-on luggage charged extra?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you very much alcina!

yes, gate check people, she is right!

Also, I might humbly suggest that some of you photogs come to grips with the fact that as you buy more and more equipment, there does come a point with the new realities of flying that you might have to start checking camera equipment. (insurance)

Another thing you can do, is put one bag inside the other till you get through where they count bags.

alcina:
:) I check everything :)

It's the books I carry to read on the long flights that nail me every time! LOL

me too! wow...I feel like I found a soulmate. Insurance, and just trust the universe!
Alcina, I feel I am just as likely to leave a bag in the bathroom at the airport as the airline is to lose it forever. I have begun to put the Pelican in a large cheap duffle, I like that idea.

Everytime I fly economy I can chack two bags in plus as a carry on I can take on my purse and computer. I found most airlines do not charge me when I take my gear with me, and that was with on flight and that was returned to me once I contacted customer service. With me gear I have always gone over the weight restrictions, but they allow sports gear to travel at no additional cost. I always get there a little eariler to drop off my bags just to make sure I don't encounter any difficulty.

Hi I agree some of the posts above - check airline weight limit for carry-ons and be nice to the person who stops you. Tell him/her that you are carrying fragile stuff, and they might let you keep it or at the very least be more gentle with your bag.
I put wetsuits, mask, batteries, save-a-dive kit and lights in the check-in luggage (protected with a thick towel or bubble wrap of it is a soft bag). Life support stuff like regs, computer and BC definitely go in my carry-on. As for Photographic equipment, that's a tough call, depending how full the carry on is after packing life-support gear. I'll still try to put the camera and housing in my carry-on bag or backpack and check-in the strobe as I think the latter can take more beating. If I'm checking-in photog gear, I'll pack them in a Pelican case and a soft duffel bag over it (like the post above suggests) so it doesn't get unnecessary attention by unscrupulous baggage handlers.
As an extra precaution for my carry-on bag, I wrap my BC and an extra day's clothes (1T-shirt + 1shorts + 1speedo) around my regs and computer, so in case the carry-on has to be checked-in at the gate, it is better protected from rough handling.
Good luck with you travels.

catherine96821:
me too! wow...I feel like I found a soulmate. Insurance, and just trust the universe!
I have begun to put the Pelican in a large cheap duffle, I like that idea.

:) There aren't many us of out there it seems. And some airports would cause me to change things around, but for my purposes so far and in the near future I'm happy.

I've done that before, but now I have dumped the pelicans altogether and travel with soft cases nested. Seems to work so far :wink:

what do you mean "soft cases nested"?

nice dog!

catherine -

I have two camera backpacks - mine are Canon, but there are lots of brands - that have the moveable padded dividers inside. I pack all my kit in those two bags and then nest them inside another bag padded with clothes, suits, shoes etc. Also saved me having to pay an excess fee out of LAX cause I could just whip a whole bag out and carry it on while leaving everything else protected.

I'm thinking about going to just one camera bag, but want to do a couple more trips with two...two works for me on a lot of levels. I use the smaller one at my destination a lot more than I would use a large one, for instance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom