certification in phoenix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cba191:
I am looking to get certified here soon, and i am looking for a good course. i read all of the stuff on the 3 day courses not being as good. that is not a real problem. i would prefer one that was longer as i am probably not one of the best swimmers around. i work weekends, so evenings would be best. but if it takes 2 months, so be it. where is the best place to do this?

Ben

Ben, check out my website, Southwest Scuba. Click on courses and then Open Water. That will give you some basic information. As for more specific info, I can answer any questions you have, either by PM, e-mail, phone, or in person. I'll tell you a little about our courses right now.

We teach personalized courses. We do this by limiting the number of student divers in our courses to 4. We also don't have a set schedule for courses. We start out with the material and skills we need to cover and work at your pace. It can take a few days to several days to complete the course. It's dependent on you. We may be able to do a 3 day course, but that's not the same as the typical 3 day course you read about. The typical 3 day course you're referring to is one with 8-12 student divers and 1-2 instructors. There is minimal time with each diver and for skills practice. Like I said, with us, 4 is the max, but most of our courses only have 2 divers. That allows more time for you. We also work every other weekend and have a lot of time off during the week, not only evenings, but also morning and afternoon. We're usually up at the lake on weekends because that's where the demand is, but we do head up during the week as well. We'll be in the valley Thursday evening, all day Friday, and at Lake Pleasant all day Saturday. If you'd like to meet somewhere and talk about your options, let me know. If we don't offer what you're looking for, maybe we can refer you to someone who does. Let me know, and good luck!

sjspeck:
I maintain the list on AZScuba. Rob added the Tucson shops. It's a LDS list, not a list of every dive instructor - I know it's a fine line but my intent is for the list to be a brick/mortar store list for fills, gear sales etc for AZScuba members use.

I agree. The list is for LDSs, not instructors

I'd have no problem with replicating and maintaining it here on Arizona Scuba also since just linking to it will only work if you're a member of AZScuba. I've only made one change in about 2 years so not a lot of work to maintain both lists.

To be honest with you, I never saw the point of the member only subforum. I think I know what you're intent was in creating that, but it doesn't look like that's come to fruition. Can we just unlock that subforum for all to enjoy? There's some good information in there that should be viewable by anyone who wants to see it.

I'd like to hear from anyone with an opinion on these questions:

What about the LDS's in other parts of Arizona? Do we want to expand the list on Arizona Scuba to include them?

Definitely should be done. I can compile a list and shoot it over to you. In my quest for dive sites in AZ, I've also come across quite a few shops! Since Phoenix area has the most, I think we should split it into 2 sticky threads, one for the Phoenix area and one for the rest of AZ.

And independent instructors? Or create a separate thread for them to post their information.

Not a bad idea, but besides me and K9trnr, I don't know of anyone else out there. I'm sure there are some. If we can come up with a list worthy of putting up, then go for it, but if there are only going to be 2-3 listings, then I'm not so sure it's worth it.

I'll repost the list here and have it stickied and lock it also so that the list remains the top post. Otherwise posts will force it off the first page of the thread over time. Anyone with updates can PM me. Although I'm generally current on the status of all the LDS's. as I review the websites of the ones I don't visit periodically.

scubajcf:
Hi Ben,

"Most of post deleted for space"

Stepping out of Scuba for a minute, I thought I would draw a comparable to golfing. While I enjoy golfing, I am certainly not a great golfer. Why? I know how to play. I have most of the knowledge to make it from tee number one to hole number eighteen. I've taken lessons from a professional. This is the list I came up with:

1. Passion: My passion lies in other places. Most of my spare time is spent Scuba Diving or teaching Scuba. Between my family and other occupation, that leaves very little time for anything else. Thus, golf becomes a distraction or social event more than something I passionate about doing. I know, like most people, passionate golfers. They are crazily obsessed. And, when they meet another passionate golfer, it’s like they have known each other forever. I often wonder if that is how outsiders (to Scuba) perceive Scuba Divers hanging out at our shop. Without passion, you can never really be great at whatever you’re doing.

The good news there are lots of shops in town and each is very good in its own way. This many shops also provide a lot of diversity and a true menu from which to select. Sorry for the longwinded message, but you asked.

Awesome post! You should submit this to DT Mag.
Great job and well said.
I already knew I had a passion for scuba but after reading your comparison to golfing (insert other hobby here) I couldnt have put it any better.

Dive-aholic:
To be honest with you, I never saw the point of the member only subforum. I think I know what you're intent was in creating that, but it doesn't look like that's come to fruition. Can we just unlock that subforum for all to enjoy?
Not sure what your thoughts are but it's simply and only to ensure that only Arizona based divers participate in the forum so the topics focus on Arizona and local diving. By having our own sub-forum, David (DaveAZ - our founder) or myself can approve each member. It had to be done this way to work under Scubaboard's (actually vBulletin's)parameters.

We migrated our group over to SB last year from our Yahoo group which had gotten out of control - near the end there was some nasty LDS bashing, the likes of which make what happened here look tame, personal insults and people were attacked just by association. We actually had to lock the forum and delete a whole thread that was hijacked right before we pulled the switch to make the move here. Since David and I have "jr. Mod" powers in AZScuba only, that won't happen again.

The main benefit for us was the threaded posts by topic. But a side benefit is the ability to control access to the forum. Speaking for myself, I've denied better than a dozen people, some as far away as Egypt, most who didn't seem to be in a position to comment on local diving and have never been to Arizona - I review their Profiles before deciding. Most seemed to want to promote something also.

Anyone residing in or with a strong connection to Arizona is automatically approved.

And it's our club forum, we asked for it specifically with the intent to post club business. Just like KelpCrawlers, Sandeaters and the other SoCal and national forums that restrict participation to their local area.

My feeling at least was that it would also keep our business from intruding in Arizona Scuba which is for all divers in or interested in Arizona. How many people really want to read the details of a trip being planned when you're not going?

Speaking for myself, I don't see the approval process changing.
Definitely should be done. I can compile a list and shoot it over to you. In my quest for dive sites in AZ, I've also come across quite a few shops! Since Phoenix area has the most, I think we should split it into 2 sticky threads, one for the Phoenix area and one for the rest of AZ.
Whenever it's convenient. Just noticed a post from Scuba Cowboys - www.scubacowboys.com - so please add them to the list.
Not a bad idea, but besides me and K9trnr, I don't know of anyone else out there. I'm sure there are some. If we can come up with a list worthy of putting up, then go for it, but if there are only going to be 2-3 listings, then I'm not so sure it's worth it.
I think it is, for several reasons. One is that you and the others provide a real alternative for someone looking for dive training. Also I don't see you fitting the bricks/mortar LDS mold since you don't sell gear except occasionally. I can also think of at least 3 others state-wide that I've come across in forums here. A friend took private lessons from someone in Sedona fairly recently - I don't think there's even an LDS there...I could be wrong. They drove down to dive in Pleasant.

Okay, I understand your reasoning on the member only forum now. I didn't know about the jrMOD powers. I just haven't seen much activity there. In fact, in the past month only 2 threads have been posted to. I was once a member of the Yahoo group and left it because I wasn't fond of the format or the banter going on there. I was happy to see you guys come over here. I also expected the other 100+ members to come over and was surprised that we didn't get many at all.

If we can get a half dozen or so independents that would be great! I do believe people should have other options. That's why my wife and I decided to go independent. When we left the LDS we were with, we did consider some other shops, even Phoenix area shops. But we decided being independent was the better option for us. But the issue has always been getting our name out there and letting people know we exist. ScubaBoard has helped that quite a bit. Most of our business comes from here. :D

And no, Sedona does not have an LDS. Prescott and Flagstaff have the closest LDSs to that area. There are also some lakes in the area, but the conditions aren't that great.

I'll pull out my business card file and compile the list this week.

KazInAz:
You should submit this to DT Mag.

I've tried to submit articles to DTMAG before. They only publish articles written by staff. They are very pleased to steal your ideas though. :11:

jcf

Back
Top Bottom