Chicago Skipper Onboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi All, Well it's just like Chicago weather....every 30 mins it changes. The Dive is on . I just checked the weather and it look better. We will be keeping an eye on it but I feel we can go.
Sat. S/E winds 10 to 15 kts. Chance of Thunderstorms. Waves 2 to 4 feet. Sun. S/W winds 5 to 10 kts. Chance of thunderstorms. Waves 1 to 3 feet.
If we have to cancel any of the dives due to weather, all moneys will be refunded. We can all go to Haigh Quary if we just can't dive the BIG lake. The boat is OK for doubles. Most of our wrecks are 65' or less. I was planning on The Louisville, David Dows, Material Service, Tacoma, Illinois/Holly barge and the Flora Hill. I have a small group of divers that want to do a night dive on Sat. night so that is an option also. I am really looking forward to this dive. Let's go and blow de bubbles.....Capt. MIke​
MgicTwnger:
You got that right! :l:

I'll be there come hell or high water!

Read through this post and am thinking about diving with Capt. Mike in July and was interested in hearing on how thnigs went.....

Jeff

AevnsGrandpa:
Read through this post and am thinking about diving with Capt. Mike in July and was interested in hearing on how thnigs went.....

Jeff
Here's the thread:http://www.scubaboard.com/t60149.html

PM me about when you're thinking of going, I'm ready for another boat ride with Capt. Mike.

BTW, I just looked at your profile, and it says that you are a female. Grandpa?

I am available. What is good for you?

I'm trying to get some local friends to come, but I am planning on booking a trip either way.

A few questions for you that are not addressed on the N'Pursuit's site...

1. Diving in July, what are the temps and vis? I dove at Haigh the begining of May and the surface was 58 and the bottom was 42 and I survived. I have a 5mm wetsuit, hood, boots and gloves.

2. What time does he normally head out for the first dive? What about night dives? I have not done this yet...... I take it he does Saturday's and Sundays....

3. Are the wrecks he goes to ok for your basic OW newbie like me? I am very comfortable in the water, but only have about 20 dive under my belt.

4. Is it best to bring a tank or rent one from him? I do have a LDS here in town that I can get a tank from.

Since I have not dove with him and you have, if you are more comfortable with setting up a trip, let me know what weekend and I'll make sure it is ok with the family and get you whatever deposit you need. I need to get wet!!

Jeff

P.S. and by the way the profile was wrong!!

P.S.S. PM me if you need any specific details for anything!

AevnsGrandpa:
1. Diving in July, what are the temps and vis? I dove at Haigh the begining of May and the surface was 58 and the bottom was 42 and I survived. I have a 5mm wetsuit, hood, boots and gloves.

2. What time does he normally head out for the first dive? What about night dives? I have not done this yet...... I take it he does Saturday's and Sundays....

3. Are the wrecks he goes to ok for your basic OW newbie like me? I am very comfortable in the water, but only have about 20 dive under my belt.

4. Is it best to bring a tank or rent one from him? I do have a LDS here in town that I can get a tank from.

1. Temperatues should be very similar to Haigh at depth. I think I registered between 42-50 over the weekend. I was diving (leaky) dry and was fine. Pretty much anytime you going to see some depth beyond 10' platforms, you should aim for a 1/4" wetsuit (7mm). If your used to the 5mm, it should be adaquate.

2. I believe the morning leaves at 8am. He'll probably runanytime you want to, afterall if you charter the whole boat.....

3. Yea - he runs wrecks that are great for the beginning diver. Mostly we were in 25-35' of water the whole time. One site had moderate viz, the others were outstanding for Lake Michigan. Nice safe boat, plenty of room and his policy is to have a DM in the water for safety and providing a buddy to a single diver (dare I say solo diver...) The one caveat I'd mention, as we get later in the season the lake will start to turn and as it gets water, particulate matter will begin to grow in the water and viz can get really bad.... So if you can brave the cold, April - June is the best time to go diving... Once you get some moe dives under your belt - then we'll get you up to Milwaukee and do the Willy and the Car Ferry (55-90' & 90-120')

4. Tanks - I'm pretty sure they insist on you providing tanks for daytime, he provides for night dives. But then again - I'm sure he'd find a way to accomidate any needs. Capt. Mike and DM Dave really went out of their way to ensure we had a good time...

-Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom