choice of dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marc.collin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hi

I was thinking to buy one of theses dry

Bare HDC Expedition
Bare X Mission

Any comment about theses two dry suit?

Any place to get good price in Canada

I checked also DUI flex extreme but it's very expensive and also USIA but not really available in Canada.

Also look at Whites (now Auqulung) fusion range of drysuits.

I've got a (Made to Measure) Bare HDC Tech Expedition and love it. The only problem I've had in two years is that the zipper tore. Bare honored the lifetime warranty and replaced the zipper with no questions or complaints. I took the suit to the shop I purchased it from, they shipped it to BARE, and it came back with a new zipper. Zippers are $300 and up, so it was a huge relief when they covered it.

I have seen a post and talked to at least one person who says BARE did not honor the lifetime warranty, search the forum and you'll probably find it. My experience was that they did exactly what they should have done. I guess I mention it because lifetime warranty was a major factor in my purchase decision for something that was several thousand dollars.

Other comments, it seems to be very well made except the original zipper. The replacement is much more heavy-duty. There was some discussion on scubaboard that at one point bare had a problem sourcing heavy duty zippers. The postulation was that they used medium duty during the time that happened. My experience seems to corroborate the theory. The pockets on the side are gigantic. Even with all the necessary gear for cave diving I still had tons of room.

Get the rings for the wrist seals. Worth the money imo. Well, I guess unless you're going to use dry gloves. I've never used dry gloves so I can't comment on that setup.

Last edited:
I've got a (Made to Measure) Bare HDC Tech Expedition and love it. The only problem I've had in two years is that the zipper tore. Bare honored the lifetime warranty and replaced the zipper with no questions or complaints. I took the suit to the shop I purchased it from, they shipped it to BARE, and it came back with a new zipper. Zippers are $300 and up, so it was a huge relief when they covered it.

I have seen a post and talked to at least one person who says BARE did not honor the lifetime warranty, search the forum and you'll probably find it. My experience was that they did exactly what they should have done. I guess I mention it because lifetime warranty was a major factor in my purchase decision for something that was several thousand dollars.

Other comments, it seems to be very well made except the original zipper. The replacement is much more heavy-duty. The pockets on the side are gigantic. Even with all the necessary gear for cave diving I still had tons of room.

Get the rings for the wrist seals. Worth the money imo. Well, I guess unless you're going to use dry gloves. I've never used dry gloves so I can't comment on that setup.

interesting and nothing to paid for the shipping?

i know we can pay dui to add its zip system to any other dry.... it's around 400$ + glove... that could be a possibility... other wise antares...

interesting and nothing to paid for the shipping?

I can't really remember if they charged me anything or not, sorry. I'm thinking probably not, but that also could be because I have a most excellent relationship with the owner of my LDS.

Here's what it looked like the day I got it. Actually it doesn't look any different today.

The SITech rings will take dry gloves, you just need the adapters that fit into the smurf gloves.

quality for the price is too low

It is? News to me!

Other comments, it seems to be very well made except the original zipper. The replacement is much more heavy-duty. There was some discussion on scubaboard that at one point bare had a problem sourcing heavy duty zippers. The postulation was that they used medium duty during the time that happened. My experience seems to corroborate the theory. The pockets on the side are gigantic. Even with all the necessary gear for cave diving I still had tons of room.

I am surprised, did they change their warranty? They used to specifically state the lifetime warranty was for seams and workmanship only. That is great they covered it though.

I am surprised, did they change their warranty? They used to specifically state the lifetime warranty was for seams and workmanship only. That is great they covered it though.
I have no idea, it's the first BARE product I've ever owned. They didn't argue about whether or not it was covered.

Here's a picture of the zipper before it was replaced.

That "plastic" looking part at the end was a soft rubber. I think the person who postulated that they'd installed the wrong zipper was right. This was far more fragile than anything else on the otherwise heavy duty suit that even had kevlar in places. The replacement zipper is far far stronger. Maybe that's why they covered it if they normally don't.

quality for the price is too low
What makes you say that? My wife has a Whites and the quality looks great dived it for 2 years, and it was a very reasonable price. But I always interested to understand other opinions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom