Cold Water Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you asked about wet, I thought I would give you my little opinion. I've never been able to afford a dry suit.

I bought a 7mm john and step-thru jacket from a mail-order company that's no longer in business, an ActionPlus hood w/bib and USDivers 3mm booties from the LDS, and 3mm neoprene fishing gloves from WalMart. I did several dives in Monterrey and Lake Tahoe. I was a little toasty in Tahoe so usually unzipped the jacket part-way, but comfortable in Monterrey. Sorry I can't give you water temps, my dive log is at home and I'm stealing time at work...

WRT recommendations, make sure your stuff fits, especially at the wrists and ankles. Sacrifice the zippers if the sleeves don't seal well around your wrists. Cutting down water exchange is more important than ease of donning/doffing, IMO. Don't worry about the neck seal too much since you're always going to be wearing a hood with bib. As a matter of fact, when you're trying the suit on make sure and try it with the hood that you will be wearing, since there will be a lot of material around your neck. I think my hood is a little tight, and could be reducing circulation. I should have gotten the hood from the mail-order company. My buddy did, and it was a lot nicer than the ActionPlus one I bought from the LDS.

Wouldn’t hurt to try the booties and gloves on while wearing the suit. Just to make sure everything works well together.

‘Course, by the time you get all this stuff on (away from the water) you’ll be sweating like crazy. Bring a towel.

Always wear the hood (um, when diving in cold water), as most heat loss is from your head. The bibbed kind, not the dry-suit kind, as it insulates your neck and provides a better seal. Don't be afraid to trim it. Especially the area around your mask, to ensure your mask seals well, and possibly the area under your mouth to make it more comfortable when you have the reg. in. Some people also put a small hole in each side, inline with the ears, so you don't get air trapped in your outer ears.

I’ve always liked the idea of a hooded vest, but never tried one. Probably work better with a one-piece. With the 3mm vest, 7mm john, and 7mm jacket, I’m afraid it might get a little constricting...

After I bought my suit I started seeing advertisements for 'skin-in' or 'Semi-dry' suits. From what I understand they have latex or exposed neoprene at the ankles and wrists to cut down on water exchange. Mine doesn't have it, and I don't miss it. But, again, mine fits pretty tight in those areas.

I guess a heavy wet suit has less mobility than a dry suit, but unless you're spear fishing or something, I don't think that's too much of an issue. I have to use a little more muscle to extend my arms above my head, but normally they stay at my waist anyway. I could lift ‘em up there, it would just take a little more effort. I’ve never had any problems.

As you probably know, wet suits can be difficult to put on. It helps with mine if I dunk it in the water first. I’ve also seen guys that had an air nozzle attachment that attached to their inflator hose. They would stick their arm in as far as they easily could, then shoot a little air down the sleeve and slide the arm in farther. I’ve never tried this, either.

And I’m sure there are guys on the board who could tell stories of using panty-hose or talcum powder in the days before wetsuits were lined, but I ain’t been in it that long. Having said that, though, the lining of the wet suit has a lot to do with how easy it is to put on.

BTW, if you go for the Walmart fishing gloves, you have to find the ones that don’t have holes at each knuckle. Also, a friend of mine bought a pair that had leaky (non-neoprene) material in between the fingers. Last pair that I bought was about $7.00.

Howdie,

I would strongly suggets a 5mm Bare Velocity Wetsuit. Before I bought my Bare wetsuit, I had a 7mm two piece wet from Oceaner. With this 2 piece wet, my mobility was quite reduced and made diving less enjoyeable.

I can tell you that I dive with a 5mm wet in 66F degree water and I'm not cold. You can add a second layer to the Bare Velocity wetsuit. I did ice diving this winter with these two pieces and never got cold.

Wouldn't go back to 2 piece 7mm wet.

qcdiver

I would go with a Bare or Henderson Gold Core would be your bext option.. One peice semi-dry with vest over top will keep you toasty. Henderson Gold is really easy to get one, and the lining helps reflectg heat back to your body.

3dent:
As you probably know, wet suits can be difficult to put on. It helps with mine if I dunk it in the water first. I’ve also seen guys that had an air nozzle attachment that attached to their inflator hose. They would stick their arm in as far as they easily could, then shoot a little air down the sleeve and slide the arm in farther. I’ve never tried this, either.

I discovered that a simple plastic bag will do wonders as well.

Mares Isotherm Millenium Semi-dry. Rated to 38 degrees. Great suit, I bought one because I could not afford a dry suit and now I don't want or need one. Does not replace a dry suit,but will definatly keep you warm cold water. I know several divers that use them int the St Lawrence Seaway. Her in Va Bch we use them in water down to 50's.

Firediver:
Henderson Gold is really easy to get one, and the lining helps reflectg heat back to your body.

It also dries alot faster then other wetsuits so much better for multiple dives. I know everyone hates getting back into a wet wetsuit.

Tell me about it.. I hate getting into a wet wetsuit.. Its more difficult when mine is wet to get back into it. The Bare suits run about $600cnd for the Arctic SGS 7MM Mens full piece suit and $700cnd for the Hooded suit. the SGS is the Skin Glide system, this allowes you to get your wetsuit on and off easier.

http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/divedept.asp?dept_id=230

Not sure how much trhe Hendersens run.

jgarysmith:
Mares Isotherm Millenium Semi-dry. Rated to 38 degrees. Great suit, I bought one because I could not afford a dry suit and now I don't want or need one. Does not replace a dry suit,but will definatly keep you warm cold water. I know several divers that use them int the St Lawrence Seaway. Her in Va Bch we use them in water down to 50's.

I do agree with this one. I just bought one and this thing is an oven. Another good thing about it is that it doesn't have to fit so tight. That means...easy on and easy off.

Just keep in mind that you have to burp the air out or you will never get down. Burping is not a big deal.

Bay of fundy waters can become lower the 38deg in the winter time.. -5C at 30' but it warmed up to -2C at 90ft... <don't know my ferinheit conversion>

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom