ComfoBite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is one of those details we do not need to over analyze. The bottom line in stage/deco/long hose regs need to fit into your buddies mouth at a moments notice. This is the DIR requirement.

Any mouthpiece that will do this without cause additional stress to the situation is acceptable. I've had buddies whine about standard mouthpiece, and about comfobites, but all of them work. If you have something other than the standard mouthpiece, it can still be used, but go over it in your pre-dive head to toe.

WaterDawg:
Doc,
I see you did I search for Seacure, and DIR. That wasrnt my question. IM not trying to be dificult but thoses links are mostly about the moldable mouth pieces. NO one is talking about them here, forget you ever mentioned them.
I did find an explanation from MHK about the long mouth pieces, but again the comfobite is not.

I even found post by people saying they've done GUE classes w/ them and no prob. The only thing that relates to my question was a post by you saying that maybe you cant spread it apart, enough to put it against a divers mouth who is Ox toxing and has spit out his reg. Thats it 3 links for one post...from you. Im gonna have to say that if it indeed is NOT DIR, nothing was proven in those threads.
WD --

I don't want you to think that anything I say has any merit.

Open this thread, which was written in December, 2003:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=43517&page=1&pp=10&highlight=DIR+ComfoBite+SeaCure

Post #18 was written by Mike Kane, who is a GUE DIR-F Instructor. In fact, I've sat through three of his fundies courses after taking mine from Sonya Tittle. If you read Mike's post, Mike offers the GUE DIR answer.

See where it says "Spread against his mouth"? On a mouthpiece with a bridge, you cannot "spread it" to "spread it against his mouth" (unless of course you cut away the bridge).

I'm pretty sure you have some awareness of this, because if you look at post #10 it was written by you. You were there and ostensibly read this thread.

As Mer has mentioned, DIR sometimes evolves, and I have no idea if the current thinking is as Mer stated - there are occasions on which GUE instructors have offered different input (crotch D-ring tucked in, crotch D-rings out, etc.).

But on this particular issue, Mike gave the GUE answer. Not me.

As of when? Per whom?

Thanks,

Mark

mer:
There has been a procedures change. For diver rescues, if they have a reg in, you keep it in. If they have a reg out, you leave it out. So mouthpieces and rescues no longer matters.

"Custom" heat molded mouthpieces are not generally accepted due to them not fitting other than their owner. Comfobites by Aqualung are not typically a problem unless someone on the team in uncomfortable with them.

They are definitely fine for your backups, but check with your buddies for long hose and stage/deco use.

I just tried what you said, and if you push up a bit while pushing apart, the bridge folds back and it ends up looking pretty much like the standard one.

mweitz:
As of when? Per whom?

Thanks,

Mark
This was how it was taught in my Tech 1 Part 1 early June 2005.

mer:
This is one of those details we do not need to over analyze. The bottom line in stage/deco/long hose regs need to fit into your buddies mouth at a moments notice. This is the DIR requirement.

Thats what I meant to say on my first post.

teknitroxdiver:
I just tried what you said, and if you push up a bit while pushing apart, the bridge folds back and it ends up looking pretty much like the standard one.

I read this and decided to go try it. Thats what I mean about being a thinking diver, actually questioning things! Yup you were right it folds up and makes a seal.

Doc, I read post #18 on that thread. MHK DOES offer a GUE answer but its about COUSTOM mouth pieces NOT COMFO-BITES. he even goes on to say that they also tend to be longer and such.

Again, I dont know how else to say this, but we are not talking about that kind of mouth piece.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

p.s. the "Once more veery sloowly" thing was funny.

teknitroxdiver:
if you stick feathers up your butt you end up looking pretty much like a chicken, but that isn't DIR either. :D

Tek originally asked "(I'm truly interesting in moving to a DIR or DIR-like configuration)

What is the DIR opinion on the Comfobite mouthpieces (the ones with a little 'bridge' that goes against the roof of your mouth)?"

And in response the DIR opinion (circa 2003/2004) was that they weren't compatible with rescuing toxing divers. :) This kind of mouthpiece:
http://www.leisurepro.com/Image/Pro...rge/UDRCBMP.JPG
was said to be difficult to spread the wings wide enough to seal against the lips of a convulsing diver.

But dive'em anyway if you want to!

Sorry Doc didnt man to get on you Sh_t list.

BTW I tried it w/o pushing up ob anything ( just pushing the reg against my teeth) and like I said, it worked.

So again sorry for the misunderstanding and thank you for posting the answer as you knew it. And thanks Mer for the update.

WaterDawg:
Sorry Doc didnt man to get on you Sh_t list.

BTW I tried it w/o pushing up ob anything ( just pushing the reg against my teeth) and like I said, it worked.

So again sorry for the misunderstanding and thank you for posting the answer as you knew it. And thanks Mer for the update.
Dude, you're not on my list!

No worries. I hope those mouthpieces work fine for you.

(And just for giggles, I'll call down to GUE tomorrow and get the 'definitive at least until we change it' answer and get back to you in a PM. 'Cause now I'm wondering if what Bob Sherwood is putting out to Mer is different from what others are putting out elsewhere in the country...)

Dive safe,

Doc

Doc Intrepid:
Dude, you're not on my list!

No worries. I hope those mouthpieces work fine for you.

(And just for giggles, I'll call down to GUE tomorrow and get the 'definitive at least until we change it' answer and get back to you in a PM. 'Cause now I'm wondering if what Bob Sherwood is putting out to Mer is different from what others are putting out elsewhere in the country...)

Dive safe,

Doc

Well Its like you said and the whole "Crotch strap D-ring " issue. Im sure its both ways. But thoses are IMO minor details, theres bigger fish to fry.

Ok guys good night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom