ComfoBite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mweitz:
As of when? Per whom?

Thanks,

Mark

The reasoning behind the "leave them like you found them" scenario is fairly basic. If the victim is found without a reg in their mouth you have to assume that their airway is filled with water. Using a reg to ventilate the victim could cause further problems, so if they have a reg in their mouth, you leave it in to protect the airway if possible. If they have it out of their mouth, you leave it out.

WaterDawg:
Well Its like you said and the whole "Crotch strap D-ring " issue. Im sure its both ways. But thoses are IMO minor details, theres bigger fish to fry.

Ok guys good night.

Yes, I agree. I'm not even going to touch the comfo-bite vs standard unbridged. I know what the purists will say. Perhaps this will get answered soon just like:
Crotch strap D-ring: both are out
Light cord over or under: over

Sincerely,
H2

Doc Intrepid:
As Mer has mentioned, DIR sometimes evolves, and I have no idea if the current thinking is as Mer stated - there are occasions on which GUE instructors have offered different input (crotch D-ring tucked in, crotch D-rings out, etc.).

But on this particular issue, Mike gave the GUE answer. Not me.

I recently took Mike's DIR-F class, and this was discussed. As far as I know, and as he covered it in class, the DIR thinking is still the same with regards to the Seacure customs. With the more complex mouthpiece designs you cannot spread it against the toxing diver's lips. Makes sense to me.

I'm not sure if the problem exists with the "behind the front teeth" type mouthpiece. I had one of those once and really really didn't like it though, cause I have a narrow jaw and it would bunch up on the roof of my mouth. So I personally wouldn't want my buddy's long hose to have one.

Note, you don't put the reg into the toxing divers mouth. You put it against his mouth, and purge slowly. I've noticed a little confusion on this point in the thread.

[BLOODSUCKINGLAWYERREPELLENT] It was demo'd in the fundies class, but we students didn't have to do it. I assume in Tech this gets covered in more detail. So I'm just reporting what I saw and remember - I am by no means an expert. [/BLOODSUCKINGLAWYERREPELLENT]

P.S. No offense to lawyers. :D

teknitroxdiver:
I just tried what you said, and if you push up a bit while pushing apart, the bridge folds back and it ends up looking pretty much like the standard one.

How easy is this to due with thick gloves or cold hands? I don't have a Comfobite with me but would like to know.

This one falls into the "let's_not_overanalyze_this_to_death" category.

If you're asking because you want to take DIR-F, and are wondering if someone's going to give you a hard time for having a comfobite mouthpiece, don't worry about it. Your chances of having to deal with a toxing diver at your level are about on par with winning the Lotto. They will explain why you might want to change to a different mouthpiece ... which will cost you all of about $5. As a recreational diver, I think it's a big "who cares".

If you're wanting to equip yourself for tech diving, then it's a different issue. Your risk of toxing, or having to rescue someone who is, increases as you do deeper, longer dives ... due to the increased partial pressures, extended bottom times, and gas switching you'll be doing. In this case, you will want to be properly equipped to deal with the situation as effectively as you possibly can.

They don't even teach the toxing diver procedure till you get to Triox/Tech 1 ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

mer:
There has been a procedures change. For diver rescues, if they have a reg in, you keep it in. If they have a reg out, you leave it out. So mouthpieces and rescues no longer matters.

Comfobites by Aqualung are not typically a problem unless someone on the team in uncomfortable with them. ......
This was how it was taught in my Tech 1 Part 1 early June 2005

Which instructor?

It doesn't look like the Rite Bite I purchased 6 years ago. The flap was behind the upper teeth and large enough that it touched the roof of my mouth.

I looked at the Apeks site yesterday. It looks like thay are using a different mouthpiece then they did a few years ago. Why change such an awesome mouthpiece (the link I previously posted)? It is so comfortable and the right size. I am currently replacing all my uncomfortable Scubapro mouthpieces with the old Apeks mouthpiece.

teknitroxdiver:

HarryH97:
Yes, I agree. I'm not even going to touch the comfo-bite vs standard unbridged. I know what the purists will say. Perhaps this will get answered soon just like:
Crotch strap D-ring: both are out
Light cord over or under: over

Sincerely,
H2
Light cord goes under. :D

Boogie711:
Not according to JJ. New directive from GUE - light cord goes over. Less likely to accidentally clip off your long hose that way.
Suckers, can hardly keep up. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom