Coral Burns --> Right Away!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PUGMASTER

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
While diving in Jamaica, Almost 1 month ago, I was posing for a picture at about 70'
I was only wearing a 2mm shorty wetsuit that had no protection on the arms. I ended up brushing my elbow against some flower coral and it burned right away.
I'm looking at my elbow right now and it looks as if something's going to hatch out of it soon. Deep hive/rash with incredible itch still to this day. When's it going to go away?

Anyone shared the same kind of experience to coral?

Ive been bitten by fire coral more than once, a couple of times to save some silly tourists that didnt know what they were doing.
It does burn ALOT but my longest was about a week.

One time I got fire coral'ed and man o' war'ed on the same dive.

I would go see a skin DR if I were you.

Flower coral, in and of itself, is not a toxin producing critter. They can easily open your skin and other icky bad critters can move in.

I have brushed my inside forearm on a piece of dead coral used as an "underwater fence" to mark a path. I noticed a sharp pain as I retracted and noted two small reddish cones against the otherwise bleached white coral chunk. About a month later I developed two weeping sores and eventually necrosis. Thank heavens for US Navy dive doctors.

You local physician, as good as they may be, are likely ill equipped to diagnose and treat tropical maladies. Work with them in consort with internet searches as well as their contact with DAN. We all know what we see most often, so in Canada, you really can't blame them if they don't understand underwater bug bites.

What you experienced is FIRE CORAL not flower coral.

This is very painful and in my experience it can take more than a week to heal. It will even leave a mark for quite sometime after it heals.

Was it yellow with a white tip???....definitely Fire Coral and it stings!!!!!

Ouch...!!!!!!

SC0057_1m.jpg

Semita:
What you experienced is FIRE CORAL not flower coral.

This is very painful and in my experience it can take more than a week to heal. It will even leave a mark for quite sometime after it heals.

Was it yellow with a white tip???....definitely Fire Coral and it stings!!!!!

Ouch...!!!!!!

View attachment 37182

I took alot of pictures and I'll try posting a picture of it here, The DM told me it was flowercoral but what do I know. I do know that you could feel it right away, didn't even take seconds to register. Anyways, For all it's worth to whomever reads this...waters might be tropical and warm, but with that there's many differnt forms down there so wear the proper gear/protection.

I accidently brushed my wrist against a reddish feathery like coral, simptoms were bumps with liquid, rash and itch that got worse until I took antibiotics and it heald quickly.

Neosporin ointment.

Back
Top Bottom