Cozumel an inherently dangerous place?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay:
Been here 12 years and have heard "stories" about divers being carried away by down currents, but not one has been confirmed since i have been here. Can you elaborate? On the other hand, being the number 1 site,by far, for dive visits, and being #2 in DCS hits should tell you that Cozumel is safer than the other places!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
Dave,

I'm really not trying to pick on you or Aldora here, I'd like to say that up front.

However, you represent yourself as being a 12 year local and in some way affiliated with Aldora. I am personally curious, since Aldora gives "extra" bottom time to newer divers with the larger tanks:

How does Aldora's accident rate (i.e. chamber trips) compare to other shops?

I understand you may be hesitant to answer this, especially if the information is negative or worse yet inclined to fudge some figures. I assure you I have no intention or reason to slander Aldora, I'm just curious. I feel that for the most part divers who have been at it a while are more limited by NDL's than air in typical Cozumel dives so I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) that you cater to newer divers. I wonder how the "extra" bottom time for such divers affecs your rates.

James

P.S. If this is something you don't want to share publicly please feel free to PM me. I will gladly keep any confidences.

I didn't mean to imply that Cozumel, or any other dive site, was safe for new divers. New divers have challenges regardless of where they are diving. I'm just saying it's eaiser to see your buddy (or a new diver) when the vis is 100' rather than 5'. Bouyancy is easier to control when you don't have a dry suit. Messing with your gear is easier without gloves (or freezing fingers).

Just about everything is easier to do in Cozumel as compared to many of the spots in other more northern climes.

Conditions around Cozumel are so close to ideal that I expect complacency plays somewhat of a role in the frequency of accidents there. It is very easy to go deeper than you intended because the water is so clear and there's always something else to see just a little bit deeper.

Also, I see a lot of folks going down to Cozumel to get cert'ed; I usually recommend against it, as I think that it is a good idea to build one's budding skill set in conditions that are a bit less ideal.

I think that the cruise ship diver point that someone else made is a good one, too. A DM taking a boat full of cruise ship divers whom he has never seen before (and will never see again) and about whose skills he knows nothing other than what they tell him has a daunting task before him.

gj62:
I assume they mean, "Pacific Northwest"
Yep. PNW diving means cold water and often no vis until you descend below a layer of bloom. The funny thing is the nutcases up there love it :wink:.

James

James Goddard:
Yep. PNW diving means cold water and often no vis until you descend below a layer of bloom. The funny thing is the nutcases up there love it :wink:.

James

No comment about the diving I do. Nutcase indeed. ::walks away grumbling under his breath :: :wink:

I've been to coz 3 times. The one thing they talk about during the pre dive briefing is the potential for down currents on the walls. Most of the operators I have been with focus on the potential for this during the pre dive briefing, However I have encountered some dive shops where the briefing is barely understandable(language issues), and what I could understand was basically useless. Needless to say I will not return to those dive operations. I've also found that you need to pay attention to who the divemaster is, after all they are leading the dive and the briefing. Coz is noted for its' fabulous drift diving, so expect currents. Also seek referals, here or other place on both Dive shops and DIVEMASTERS. Good luck and enjoy the diving. Coz is beautiful.

diverbrian:
No comment about the diving I do. Nutcase indeed. ::walks away grumbling under his breath :: :wink:
Heh, I've seen what those zebra muscles have done. You got the cold but not the vis issues :).

ggunn:
Also, I see a lot of folks going down to Cozumel to get cert'ed; I usually recommend against it, as I think that it is a good idea to build one's budding skill set in conditions that are a bit less ideal.

ggunn,
I am in total agreement with your statement. As a divemaster I see all kinds, and being from Texas most of the certs are done in lakes such as Travis or Canyon. Needless to say these spots are sometimes less than ideal. I truelly believe in the grace under fire theory, and am thankful that the divers we cert have to expreince such subpar conditions in order to complete the course. Personally I feel alittle more comfortable sending them off with their certs knowing that they have dealt with and successfully completed a couple of dives in less than ideal conditions.

I also think non-ideal situations should be discussed more in the lower level certs. The more exposure the better divers can handle the situation.

Just my two cents....later

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom