Debating getting a wrist computer, pros and cons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had an analog gauge that stuck at about 1200 PSI right up until it was removed from the tank and rapped on the anchor, at which point it reset to 0.

Any equipment can fail and computers (AI or non-AI) are no more of a risk on a no deco dive than an SPG or a watch.

If something fails, end the dive according to your training and everything will be just fine.

flots.

I had a similar problem with an analog gauge, I whacked it against the palm of my hand during the dive and the needle fell off

I recently got into diving and I love my setup. I have a wrist mounted Zoop w/o intergrated air. I have my compass on a retractor attached to a mount inside of a pocket, so I can put it away as I won't be using it as much as my computer or SPG. Lastly I have my SPG on a shorter hose and it is attached via carabiner to my LP hose. If I want to check my computer I look at my wrist and if I want to check my air I glance at my LP inflator. Simple, easy, and nothing dragging and one less thing to get tangled. I heard of transducers failing and most people suggest having a SPG as a backup even if you have IA. I went w/o the expensive option and kept it simple.

Personal preference is to have stand-alone wrist mounted dive computers and use independent analogue gauges. I take proper care of my equipment and my console undergo an annual servicing at the same time as the regs it is attached to. I also have two dive computers (one recreational that I use as a bottom timer for tech diving and one technical computer). If computer breaks I can still dive using tables and diving square profile. If SPG breaks it is very easily replaceable and I still have my computer. Air integrated, one aspect breaks and you lose all functions...hence my reluctance for such system.

I prefer the combination of a wireless AI (very convenient) with a traditional SPG backup. I've had failures with my wireless, very few, far less than 1%, but still. Its good to have the old brass-and-glass and a set of charts to not ruin a nice outing.

If SPG breaks it is very easily replaceable and I still have my computer. Air integrated, one aspect breaks and you lose all functions...hence my reluctance for such system.

Actually thats not true. If your AI computer looses connection or the transmitter fails you can still use the computer as any other computer. Earlier this year my regulator, 1st stage, had an issue. I used a back up with and SPG attached (didn't switch my transmitter over) and used my wrist AI computer as a standard computer without issue and I was still able to down load the basic dive info.

One wrist mount simple computer(aladin nitrox) + bottom timer + analogue spg.

I use an Uwatec Galileo Sol. I always poo-pooed wireless AI as expensive, unnecessary and undependable. Well, I got a screaming deal on the Sol when I purchased my daughters regs and BC from the local shop. I purchased the Sol for the large display. I have come to really enjoy the benefits of the AI..all that information in the same place, all the dive data. The Sol monitors heart rate and respiration all the time adjusting the algorithm. And but for the first few times I used when it had trouble syncing, never a hitch. (I purchased from an authorized dealer who replaced it for me.)

I'm a fan.

Oh..I do dive with a second "wrist watch" computer as well as a brass and glass SPG. I always had a back up gauge/timer.

Excuse my small hijack of the thread. Splitlip what do you see a normal heart rate doing on a dive. Same as shore stuff, higher, lower? Thanks

I use an AI wrist comp and I also keep a console for backup. The comp has not failed or lost link. However the console has saved many dives when I have left the comp elsewhere.

I like how easy it is to glance at air remaining. When doing work tasks in challenging conditions it is quite handy. Hands full or busy, swimming into current, air consumption bumped up. Also I dive cold water almost always, wearing a hood, and I cannot hear any warning beeps. My wrist comp flashes a red LED that I do notice. Perhaps my console comp did too but I never saw that. And no, I dont rely on the warning beeps/light to stay out of trouble.

Actually thats not true. If your AI computer looses connection or the transmitter fails you can still use the computer as any other computer. Earlier this year my regulator, 1st stage, had an issue. I used a back up with and SPG attached (didn't switch my transmitter over) and used my wrist AI computer as a standard computer without issue and I was still able to down load the basic dive info.

Ok...we are not understanding each other...Air Integrated usually means hooked on the HP hose and providing both functions; dive computer and SPG. If this one fails for whatever reasons, you lose all functions.

Wireless dive computer is something else. If the signal stops for whatever reason, the computer funtions of your ...wrist computer will still be functionning but not those tied to air monitoring. However, this becomes a non issue if you do have a separate SPG connected to your set-up.

Notwithstanding the latter, my preference is still to dive with wrist computers that are of the non-wireless type as I do both rec and and occasional tech diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom