Decending

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

couger,

Are you sure you are properly weighted? For example, properly weighted, you should be able to hang at 15 feet in saltwater with only 500 psi in your tank, WITHOUT holding on to the anchor line. If you can't do this, you don't have enough weight.

Also, you may not be expelling all the air from the bc. Maybe try another bc. Using my old Seaquest Spectrum bc (jacket style), I could NEVER get all the air out and consequently had to use more weight. With my newer back inflated bc, I can expel all the air very easily. It's like night and day.

Don't give up on the feet first descent until you try these two things. In fact, I've been on diver charters where we have been told we MUST do a feet first descent, for one reason or another. Therefore, this is a skill that you must master.

Best of luck.

My advice would be to relax, dump your air and if you have to kick a little to get down. You shouldn't have to kick hard but you should have to kick a little to get down. You should not be weighted so much that you sink like a rock. Sometime if you swim a short distance on the surface and dive into a pike position a kick a little you will descend at the perfect rate. Just remember to breath deep and clear your ears. I think for a lot of new divers the problem is not breathing deep enough and letting out enough air on exhale.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom